The best thing about Iowa beating Minnesota...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
...is that we won't have the weekly "we should have hired Tim Brewster" thread starting.

On the other hand, Cincinnati is probably headed to a BCS bowl.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
The best thing about Iowa beating Minnesota is, at least we will have 20 useless threads about it.

Considering we are more obsessed with them and not actual ISU sports....

Sorry couldn't resist.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
We should have hired Brian Kelly, looks like he might go to a BCS bowl... /end sarcasm

Yeah, we would have been undefeated with Kelly.:eek:

Wasn't he handed the reigns of a pretty good team in what is traditionally the worst BCS conference?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, we would have been undefeated with Kelly.:eek:

Wasn't he handed the reigns of a pretty good team in what is traditionally the worst BCS conference?

Yes, and yes. Although, this year I don't see much difference between the Big East, ACC, and Big 10 (outside of Penn St.). He's still playing with Dantonio's guys, and we can see that Dantonio is doing well. That said, he's obviously a good coach, and the other thing that makes him better than Chizik RIGHT NOW (read, not necessarily in the long run) is previous head coaching experience...

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
There are also reports of Kelly in line for some other jobs. He is a stepping-stone guy. He would not have been a good fit at ISU. Brewster, who knows really. Doubt Minnesota was really much better than ISU, and they were not in as bad of shape.

I really like GC and hope he succeeds at ISU and stays a long time.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
...is that we won't have the weekly "we should have hired Tim Brewster" thread starting.

on the other hand cinci is probably easier to recruit to, is in a city, and plays against easier competition for the most part. apples to oranges. If you think Kelly would be doing much better than chizik at isu you are dreaming. Plus he is likely gone after this season so that wouldn't have been great either.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
All that aside we had two wins in year two and four in a row over two years. And we beat Iowa without scoring a touchdown!

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I must admit I was hoping we would hire Kelly for a few of reasons 1) he has been a head coach 2) he was offensive minded 3) he would bring a complete staff on day one and 4) he had won wherever he has been.

Don't get me wrong I want GC to succeed like none other but when we hired him I thought great another D-coordinator.

Coaching makes a huge difference no matter where you are - good coaches get it done - I hope GC is that coach.:smile:

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Wasn't Brian Kelly's first game with Cincy a bowl game in 2006? He took over a good team already, no assembly required, hence the reason Dantonio is at Michigan State.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Kelly walked into a good situation. He's able to build a good program at the mid-major level; it's yet to be seen if he can at the BCS level.

I don't regret not hiring him though. He's in the conversation for promotions to Tennessee. It would've been bad for this program to have a coach gunning for a new job and not being committed to the program.

Also, I don't really see anything that would make me believe that any coach (that had a realistic chance of coming here) would've had us BCS eligible or done a whole lot better than Chizik. Perhaps I'm wrong, but time will tell.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines

Please. I'm not trying to flame, but if ISU was 7-5 right now, Clone fans would be out of their minds with joy. However they got there, the goofs are still 7-5, and Brewster started with just as bare a cupboard as Chiz did.

ISU2007

Feb 12, 2007
North Liberty, IA
Please. I'm not trying to flame, but if ISU was 7-5 right now, Clone fans would be out of their minds with joy. However they got there, the goofs are still 7-5, and Brewster started with just as bare a cupboard as Chiz did.

And Chiz is in a conference with a cupboard as bare as the Big Ten too right?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
And Chiz is in a conference with a cupboard as bare as the Big Ten too right?

I'm not making a big 10/ big 10 comparison. I'm saying that if ISU was 7-5, (regardless of how they got there) and going to a bowl game, Clone fans would be ecstatic. Tell me I'm wrong.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm not making a big 10/ big 10 comparison. I'm saying that if ISU was 7-5, (regardless of how they got there) and going to a bowl game, Clone fans would be ecstatic. Tell me I'm wrong.

Sure - the "sane" Cyclone fans were expecting around 6 wins, so 7 would have exceeded expectations. Of course, we didn't come close to that number, so we're a little disappointed right now.

cutshot

Oct 28, 2008
What we don't know is, were Kelly, Harbaugh, or Brewster even interested or availbable to us.