Tight End U

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
Just as Iowa State set a new trend in college football because of its "cloud" defense, I think we're in the process of setting a new trend on the offensive side by playing 3 tight ends regularly. We're creating mismatches that teams have never encountered before. Heck, we even had a tight end throw to a tight end, something never before seen.
I wouldn't expect this to be a regular thing. We'll probably lose all 3 of them after this season. We have 3 young TE on scholarship but they have yet to play.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
have you not watched Josh Allen play this year and most of last year? If you say Kyker is great and not Allen you need to watch more football
Admittedly I typically don't watch much NFL. But you also realize that if you don't have NFL redzone or whatever it is that you can't watch all the games right? You are assuming everyone has that?

Regardless the most NFL games I do watch are either the chiefs or Packers and Bears cause they have two cyclone greats on them

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I wouldn't expect this to be a regular thing. We'll probably lose all 3 of them after this season. We have 3 young TE on scholarship but they have yet to play.
I would expect quite a few of our younger players to hopefully get some playing time during Kansas

Reactions: khardbored

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Keep in mind that none of our tight ends lose a year of eligibility for the 2020 season, so unless they go to the NFL (which one certainly will) or they get tired of football, they'll be back next year. Regardless, we'll eventually have to reload our tight ends just like any other position on our team.

My point, though, is ISU started a whole new trend by regularly playing 3 tight ends, and now all the teams in our league have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to respond to the mismatches this creates for them.

I think it's pretty cool how Campbell's XnO strategy can seem conservative but also very innovative at the same time.

• Agree
Reactions: SouthernCy

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
"The SCHEDULE ratings represent what the rating would have to be for a hypothetical team to have a mathematical expectation of winning precisely 50% of their games against the schedule played by the team in question in the games that it has played so far. The schedule difficulty of each given game takes into account the rating of the opponent and the location of the game. This is the same concept that is used in computing the WIN50% conference ratings."

Meaning right now the SOS is garbage. But at the end of the year would make more sense

Except there are still going to be hundreds of teams that are not connected. So really this year I don't see any way that sangrin can get to a valid data set.

The entire big ten isn't even playing outside of conference so that whole conference data will never be connected and will be worthless.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Except there are still going to be hundreds of teams that are not connected. So really this year I don't see any way that sangrin can get to a valid data set.

The entire big ten isn't even playing outside of conference so that whole conference data will never be connected and will be worthless.
Good point.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
No, BF and KF did much more for him. Doyle helped him become stronger but KF and BF showed him and Fant the ropes. That’s why Fant and Hock are the best TE room to ever play in the state of Iowa.
Well look who is back. Senior spineless. How are you?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Keep in mind that none of our tight ends lose a year of eligibility for the 2020 season, so unless they go to the NFL (which one certainly will) or they get tired of football, they'll be back next year. Regardless, we'll eventually have to reload our tight ends just like any other position on our team.

My point, though, is ISU started a whole new trend by regularly playing 3 tight ends, and now all the teams in our league have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to respond to the mismatches this creates for them.

I think it's pretty cool how Campbell's XnO strategy can seem conservative but also very innovative at the same time.

Wait...you think ISU started a trend with playing 3 tight ends regularly? Iowa ran that a lot in 2014/15 and 2018 and I'd be stunned if nobody did it before them.

It's not some sort of new gimmick, but it is an indicator that your receiving corps isn't very good.

As for Kittle, I think it's been widely documented that he was by his own admission too much of a partier at Iowa and didn't take football seriously until he got to the NFL.

He was a pretty good TE for Iowa, but I would have never called him elite. The lion's share of the credit goes to the SF coaching staff and Kittle himself

• Haha
Reactions: jmb

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
I didn't see the game, couldnt find it,, but didn't the tight end drops $hit the bed for the hawkkks against NW?

Saw the lowlights, but it looked like a pick ended the game right after going through their tight ends hands for the 3rd time.

Couldn't help but think of this thread.