Will McDonald IV – Iowa State

STC061693

Apr 23, 2020
I think if he makes it in the NFL it’ll be doing the same kind of thing Von Miller, Khalil Mack, and Ryan Kerrigan do which is the OLB/DE hybrid kind of thing.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Bailey career, yes.
Petersen, no.
Irving is the most talented pass rusher we have had at this school in over a decade. McDonald could be more talented, but jury is still out.
Irving wasn’t effective as a DE. Basically in two years at DE he had the TCU play and a whole bunch of ineffectiveness.

He and Coe came on late his Jr. year and they were both very good together inside. But what could’ve been a great following year of course didn’t happen.

In the end Irving basically had 1/2 season of good play and 2 1/2 years of being very underwhelming. He’d flash occasionally, but I could name many guys that were better DL at ISU.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Berryman had the best motor. As a unit I still like that 2005 squad. Berryman, Curvey, Leaders, & Moorehead.

It's amazing how everyone just forgets Cephus Johnson. He was the starter in that spot for the last 7 games of the season, but didn't get to make hay against non-conference teams like Moorehead did (3/4 of his TFL and 1/2 his sacks were in the first 3 games).

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think they're still tinkering with that. He dropped into coverage on a zone blitz last game.
Looks like a zone blitz wrinkle Heacock is throwing in. They’ve dropped Bailey a couple times too. I really think the LB ship has sailed for McDonald. He’s really good at DE and keeps becoming more complete.

CycloneVet917

Jul 9, 2020
Bailey has had a good career, and McDonald is producing consistently at a young age. My thought was Bailey should be higher as well...

But then I thought McDonald is a sophomore still and already doing this well. I guess to each their own.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Our most talented pass rusher had a career 3 sacks in 32 games? Yikes
Everyone knows that there is a gap between talent and production. Some bridge that gap.

I always said that Irving had the raw talent to leave early for the NFL. Well, he left early. And he wound up in the NFL. So...I was right?

Reggie Hayward was a good player at ISU, but nothing like what he did the NFL. And Jason Berryman had some terrific production at ISU, and did nothing in the NFL.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
There is no doubt about one thing, no one gets held more obviously than McDonald without getting the call. I have seen him in half a dozen headlocks without getting a holding call. Glad they found a place for him and are not afraid to turn him loose off the edge.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
There is no doubt about one thing, no one gets held more obviously than McDonald without getting the call. I have seen him in half a dozen headlocks without getting a holding call. Glad they found a place for him and are not afraid to turn him loose off the edge.
They’ve been dropping hm into coverage a lot. I think he’s been getting the “spy” assignment against mobile QB’s.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I hope McDonald will be getting some of those holding calls later in the season when they really count.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone