Will McDonald IV – Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

Will McDonald redshirted in 2018, then began to make a name for himself in 2019. This year he has picked up right where he left off and continued his improvement as a player. McDonald has been effective as a pass rusher off the edge with his speed and quickness. He has good length and does a good job of getting underneath the tackle as he turns the corner. He began to come on as a pass rusher in the latter part of the 2019 season and has continued that trend in 2020. He is quick at the point of attack and can be disruptive against the run, but needs to do a better job of disengaging blockers in the run game. McDonald has gotten better against the run and should continue to improve and round out his game. Nonetheless he has made enough progress to make our list of the best defensive ends.

In the first four games of the season, McDonald has tallied 13 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 1 pass breakup and a quarterback hurry. He has been remarkably consistent from week to week recording at least half a sack each game. Dating back to last season McDonald has recorded a sack in seven of his last eight games. The redshirt sophomore is still relatively new to football, he preferred basketball early in high school and is still a raw player on the football field. With how effective he has been already, it’s scary to think what he will do as he continues to develop.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Will McDonald redshirted in 2018, then began to make a name for himself in 2019. This year he has picked up right where he left off and continued his improvement as a player. McDonald has been effective as a pass rusher off the edge with his speed and quickness. He has good length and does a good job of getting underneath the tackle as he turns the corner. He began to come on as a pass rusher in the latter part of the 2019 season and has continued that trend in 2020. He is quick at the point of attack and can be disruptive against the run, but needs to do a better job of disengaging blockers in the run game. McDonald has gotten better against the run and should continue to improve and round out his game. Nonetheless he has made enough progress to make our list of the best defensive ends.

In the first four games of the season, McDonald has tallied 13 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 1 pass breakup and a quarterback hurry. He has been remarkably consistent from week to week recording at least half a sack each game. Dating back to last season McDonald has recorded a sack in seven of his last eight games. The redshirt sophomore is still relatively new to football, he preferred basketball early in high school and is still a raw player on the football field. With how effective he has been already, it’s scary to think what he will do as he continues to develop.
So happy he found a place on the D-Line after we tinkered with him and tried him out at LB.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Incredible stuff. I think he could be the one to end Iowa State's first-round draft pick drought.

It will be tough, but if he can keep his explosiveness while getting over 250 lbs. he probably can. I can't think of too many recent 1st round edge guys that were <260, other than maybe Dee Ford.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
He definitely looks different than most guys we see in an ISU jersey. He still needs a few pounds, but he's almost unstoppable on third down unless he gets held.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
He definitely looks different than most guys we see in an ISU jersey. He still needs a few pounds, but he's almost unstoppable on third down unless even when he gets held.
FIFY

He got held by the OU tackle (56 or 59?) on basically every passing play. So obvious but I think he only got 1 flag.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We are pretty lucky right now. Our current defensive ends might be the two best defensive ends in our school's football history and they are both here at the same time.
You need to....

1453351523-web1_4-10-Irving-Stop-sign_5.jpg

..... right now

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I recall him as a DE here that was converted to DT at the NFL level, but I could be totally wrong on that.
He started as a DE but switched to DT his junior year. Due to the picture above, he didn't have a senior year. I'd still say Peterson and Bailey are better college players than he was.

Reactions: Brett44

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
He started as a DE but switched to DT his junior year. Due to the picture above, he didn't have a senior year. I'd still say Peterson and Bailey are better college players than he was.
Bailey career, yes.
Petersen, no.
Irving is the most talented pass rusher we have had at this school in over a decade. McDonald could be more talented, but jury is still out.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Bailey career, yes.
Petersen, no.
Irving is the most talented pass rusher we have had at this school in over a decade. McDonald could be more talented, but jury is still out.
Good point. I am projecting a little bit with Peterson but he is talented, athletic, and relentless.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Bailey career, yes.
Petersen, no.
Lol good grief Irving was not the best pass rusher ISU has had in a decade.

He had the POTENTIAL to be, but definitely was not in the time he spent here.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Lol good grief Irving was not the best pass rusher ISU has had in a decade.

He had the POTENTIAL to be, but definitely was not in the time he spent here.
I concur, I seem to recall going long stretches between games where he made significant impact. Potential was always there though.