NBA: **Cyclones in the NBA and G-League, 2019-2020

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
So, again, no Talen Horton-Tucker dressed for the Lakers in Game 2.

The Nuggets came from behind and looked to have a win but lost on a game-winning three by Anthony Davis. I have internet / cable technical problems and didn't even get to see or record the game. I followed on my phone and again Monte had the majority of his minutes and production in the 1st half. Some of his potential PT in the 2nd half was taken by PJ Dozier whom Malone put in because of his bigger size (to be used against LeBron). Monte's line: 13 MIN, 9 PT, 3-4 FG, 1-1 3PT, 2-2 FT, 1 REB, 0 AST, 1 STL and 1 TO.

Dozier, who played 12 minutes in the entire series vs. the Clippers, played 14 minutes in this game.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Impactful night for Monte in Game 3 win over the Lakers for the Nuggets. 14 points on 5/7 shooting, 2/4 from 3.

Well, I had a commitment AND a cable box outage so I couldn't watch OR record this. I'm hoping to find a replay or at least Monte's highlights on Youtube later. A buddy of mine texted me that Monte was "getting buckets" so I tried to steal a look at my phone. As has been the case in many of the playoff games, Monte provided a huge spark in the first half, with 12 of his 14 points and led them to a 10-point lead at half. Hard to believe that they'd be up 2-1 without AD's buzzer-beater in Game 2. Don't count out these Nuggets. Great coast-to-coast bucket here by Tae:

Reactions: NWICY and simply1

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I wonder if they will extend Monte this offseason with 1 year left on his deal. It is interesting to me that he makes his living off of mid-range jump shots in the pick and roll. He would be crucified by this message board with shot selection after the Hoiball era.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I wonder if they will extend Monte this offseason with 1 year left on his deal. It is interesting to me that he makes his living off of mid-range jump shots in the pick and roll. He would be crucified by this meYeahssage board with shot selection after the Hoiball era.
Yeah, I've been wondering about the extension. On one hand, there's so much uncertainty about the cap etc. for next season. On the other, they're certainly not going to find a more consistent role player. If he were a consistent threat to knock down 3's, he's definitely be getting an immediate extension. But Malone loves the guy so I'm interested to know what they'll do.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I think at this point you have to keep him. He has the skill, the will and the chemistry with the rest of the team to help them maintain their success in the west.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
For people - like me - who didn't see last night's game vs. the Lakers, here are Monte's buckets:

Here are all his plays from Game 2; I see Monte got a steal off his Flint buddy, Kyle Kuzma. Also have you ever heard the phrase "lost the handle" applied to Monte like it was here??

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I wonder if they will extend Monte this offseason with 1 year left on his deal. It is interesting to me that he makes his living off of mid-range jump shots in the pick and roll. He would be crucified by this message board with shot selection after the Hoiball era.

Not when they go in. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Cyientist

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Game 4 - Lakers up 5 @ halftime. Good contribution by Monte, with 4 points on a drive (took his buddy Kuzma to the hole) and a rebound and put back on a free throw (probably the smallest guy on the court). He also had 3 assists. C'mon, Nuggets!

Reactions: NWICY and heitclone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Nuggets lost a close one - they trailed the whole way, pretty much but hung in there and had their chances. They now trail the Lakers 3-1; in other words, right where they want them, like they had the Jazz and the Rockets.

And our dude Monte basically took Gary Harris' spot in the rotation and played all the way through the 4th quarter. Malone was clearly going with someone who'd been playing well. Shortly after finishing the shot posted above, he had a chance to cut it to 1 or 2 but missed a 3-pointer. Denver never quite recovered but Monte played a great game.

His final line: 27 MIN, 12 PT, 4-7 FG, 0-2 3PT, 4-5 FT, 2 REB, 4 AST, 0 TO and -4.

The Nuggets' front office when he hit his late shot in the lane:

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and simply1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Game 4 - Lakers up 5 @ halftime. Good contribution by Monte, with 4 points on a drive (took his buddy Kuzma to the hole) and a rebound and put back on a free throw (probably the smallest guy on the court). He also had 3 assists. C'mon, Nuggets!

I was watching with the wife and son and I said, watch this, he's the smallest guy on the court and he's going to get a rebound here. Sure enough he did. :cool:

I just don't think the Nuggets have much of a chance. LeBron is a great player but he becomes unstoppable when he gets the star treatment that he does. He knows it too, that is why he switched to guarding Murray when he was making unbelievable shot after shot. He knew that they wouldn't call most of the fouls he would commit trying to slow Murray down. The way he was playing last night Murray deserved a W but it just wasn't to be.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I was watching with the wife and son and I said, watch this, he's the smallest guy on the court and he's going to get a rebound here. Sure enough he did. :cool:

I just don't think the Nuggets have much of a chance. LeBron is a great player but he becomes unstoppable when he gets the star treatment that he does. He knows it too, that is why he switched to guarding Murray when he was making unbelievable shot after shot. He knew that they wouldn't call most of the fouls he would commit trying to slow Murray down. The way he was playing last night Murray deserved a W but it just wasn't to be.
Frankly it's disgusting. But having been a fan of the NBA for over 20 years, not surprising. I know the outcome and I still watch anyway