Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was wondering. We were on the other side watching tennis and the 9th grade girls soccer. One of my daughter's best friends dislocated her knee the other night. Her mom drove the car out on the soccer field to get her.
We were over at the other field. We were coming around to the other side of the field when we saw the injured player and then the car came out. We knew that couldn't be good.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Nope, I like my guys. Save me money.
Well then you shouldn't generalize about professionals wasting time maxing out billable hours if, in fact, you do not experience such. My clients wouldn't be my clients if they didn't similarly find that I save them money and that I spend my time wisely. There aren't government subsidies for lawyers.

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well fresh baked brownies out of the oven for a breakfast snack on a cool fall morning. Nothing wrong with that. ( I had some muskmelon 1st so it wasn't all unhealthy) ;)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wast tired of getting nickel and dimed and had some big repairs for my car, so upgraded yesterday to a new version. Generally good deal and less expensive as it doesn't have the bells and whistles like blind spot indicators, etc. which is my preference, but the best was I was successful in my pre-emptive haggle.

I was thinking my trade in would be $3000 after checking on estimates vs. what I considered as its condition. When the dealer started in, he asked me what I was thinking, and I told him I'd see what he comes up with while I'm test driving. He came back with an offer of $4500. A pretty nice win so long as the car remains functional.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Well, I got a letter yesterday that sort of confused me and brought up an ethical decision. I had a letter addressed to my mom at my address. It was from a company that both of us did business with, she has a slight amount of business through her estate still. They said since they couldn't do the customer appreciation that they normally do, that they picked out names for a gift certificate and she won. No name is on it, and my mom's estate is still doing business with them so her membership is still valid. Ethical dilemma is what to do with it.

She can't use it, and they probably know she has passed because I had told them to cancel a major portion of her business due to her passing. It normally would have someone's name it but was left blank. Do I send it back or just use it myself?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Well, I got a letter yesterday that sort of confused me and brought up an ethical decision. I had a letter addressed to my mom at my address. It was from a company that both of us did business with, she has a slight amount of business through her estate still. They said since they couldn't do the customer appreciation that they normally do, that they picked out names for a gift certificate and she won. No name is on it, and my mom's estate is still doing business with them so her membership is still valid. Ethical dilemma is what to do with it.

She can't use it, and they probably know she has passed because I had told them to cancel a major portion of her business due to her passing. It normally would have someone's name it but was left blank. Do I send it back or just use it myself?
You know what you should do.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

It's part of your Mom's estate, hence it belongs to her heirs

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Well then you shouldn't generalize about professionals wasting time maxing out billable hours if, in fact, you do not experience such. My clients wouldn't be my clients if they didn't similarly find that I save them money and that I spend my time wisely. There aren't government subsidies for lawyers.
Woah, take it easy mr serious pants.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: WooBadger18

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Probably true, but if it makes you uncomfortable, BC, donate it to a charitable cause that your mother would approve of - a homeless shelter, a shelter for battered women, a youth shelter, etc...
It’s to a local restaurant that we know the owner of. May just throw it away and let him keep the money.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Woah, take it easy mr serious pants.
It does get really old having people **** on your profession (and, by extension, you), especially when they aren't having a negative experience with an attorney.

And everyone gets defensive about things like that. If I started "joking" on here about how farmers are dumb hicks and welfare queens and how engineers are socially inept and are only good at looking at numbers and don't understand how that influences the real world, farmers and engineers wouldn't exactly find that funny

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It does get really old having people **** on your profession (and, by extension, you), especially when they aren't having a negative experience with an attorney.

And everyone gets defensive about things like that. If I started "joking" on here about how farmers are dumb hicks and welfare queens and how engineers are socially inept and are only good at looking at numbers and don't understand how that influences the real world, farmers and engineers wouldn't exactly find that funny
Actually farmer jokes don’t bother me, feel free to throw any out. I will play nice and edit.

Last edited:

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Anybody have any good ideas on what to do with a bunch of old DVD (non Blu-Ray) and older generation (Original XBox & XBox 360) video games? Going to ask a buddy at work who's wife does a lot of work with inner city youth programs and whatnot. Don't want to give someone trash, but if they could be put to some sort of use it would be better than me just throwing them in the dumpster.

I'm moving to Los Angeles in about a month or so and starting to purge my apartment. Might have an existential crisis when it comes time to sort through my boxes of books. Haven't opened the boxes since I've moved, but I have such a hard time getting rid of books even if I haven't read them in 5-8 years.

Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Anybody have any good ideas on what to do with a bunch of old DVD (non Blu-Ray) and older generation (Original XBox & XBox 360) video games? Going to ask a buddy at work who's wife does a lot of work with inner city youth programs and whatnot. Don't want to give someone trash, but if they could be put to some sort of use it would be better than me just throwing them in the dumpster.

I'm moving to Los Angeles in about a month or so and starting to purge my apartment. Might have an existential crisis when it comes time to sort through my boxes of books. Haven't opened the boxes since I've moved, but I have such a hard time getting rid of books even if I haven't read them in 5-8 years.

I take that sort of stuff to Goodwill.

Status
Not open for further replies.