MLB: 2020 Chicago Cubs Season Thread

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Flying a drone over a stadium might be the number 2 good way to have Homeland Security knock on your door. First would be saying bomb on an airplane

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Will be interesting to hear the Cubs take on Bryant's play after the season is over. My guess the party line will be he played through injuries. But looking at the box score he has something like the 8th best On Base and Slugging % among the Cubs core players.

Not good numbers for a player looking for a big payday. A lot of options out there for about half the $. And Bote wouldn't be a bad option if he is your team's 8th/9th batter.

Yeah I dont see him getting an extension after this season. Probably should have traded him in the offseason when there was interest because now his value is much lower coming off a bad season and entering a contract year. It will be a put up or shut up season for him next year if he and Boras think he can land a big long term deal. Really sad how things have played out with him

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Woohoo! I thought they were going to **** that up for sure.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
This has been an interesting 5 game run.

Walk off loss
Get to Hader to steal a win
No-hitter win
Walk off win by HBP
Walk off win

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Didn't realize until seeing on Twitter that was potentially/probably Lester's last start as a Cub in Wrigley. Cubs certainly won't pick up his option but I'm somewhat hopeful they can sign him to a cheap deal for one more year so he can have the farewell he deserves with the Cubs. IMO he gets a lot of credit for being one of the main guys involved in the turnaround. He's a true professional that I'll miss seeing in a Cubs jersey if he doesn't return

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Didn't realize until seeing on Twitter that was potentially/probably Lester's last start as a Cub in Wrigley. Cubs certainly won't pick up his option but I'm somewhat hopeful they can sign him to a cheap deal for one more year so he can have the farewell he deserves with the Cubs. IMO he gets a lot of credit for being one of the main guys involved in the turnaround. He's a true professional that I'll miss seeing in a Cubs jersey if he doesn't return

Yeah I don't see his option getting picked up but I would love to see him back on a 1 or 2 year deal at reasonable price because he still is a solid 4th or 5th guy in the rotation at this point in his career. Problem is that his buyout is already at $10 mil and he was due to make $25 mil in 2021 so he would need to sign for less than $15 mil for there to be any real savings there. If he really wants to retire with the Cubs and isn't concerned about money a 1 year deal at $5-10 mil (would essentially be making $10 mil on top of that with the buyout) to see any real savings, anything $15 mil or more and you may as well just picked up his option. Maybe even a 2 year deal at a reasonable price would save the Cubs some money but based on his results the past couple seasons I think any team would be hesitant to commit anything more than a 2 year contract with his age and decline. I think he is a great player to have in the clubhouse and still has something left in the tank as a back of the rotation starter so would love to see him finish his career out in Chicago if they can make the financial details work.

This could be a really interesting offseason with just Darvish, Hendricks and Mills under team control in the rotation and Quintana and Chatwood likely leaving as free agents. May have to fill at least 2 rotation spots. The 2021 offseason is really crucial as Rizzo, Bryant, Baez and Schwarber all can become UFA so getting extensions done now for at least Rizzo and Baez would be ideal. Until Bryant can stay healthy and show some high level production I am growing more concerned about if he's worth a pricey long term commitment at this point. I've always been hot or cold on Schwarber based on his current production at a given time. I'm still not sold on if he has shown enough to lock up with an expensive long term contract at this point, he's still similar player comparison to Adam Dunn to me: hits for low BA but still hits a lot of homers and gets walks but also strikes out a lot. He's definitely improved his defense in the outfield so he's not nearly the liability he was originally out there.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Me, too. He forces errors by changing the game.
Javy is revolutionizing baseball before our eyes with things like this, his approach to sliding, and whatever else I'm not thinking of.
And that doesn't address bad pitches other batters may see because the pitcher is worried about that crazy baserunner - more so than other base stealers.

Despite his high strikeout rate, if I was in the Cubs organization locking him up would be a top priority. Not only is he a + defensively, and a monster on the base paths, but having a player who is that exciting to watch sells tickets. I have heard him called a bad pitch hitter - that is he swings at pitches outside the strike zone but turns more than his share of them into hits. We haven't seen that much of it this year, but that walk off hit (would have been at least a double if the game wasn't over) was a great example. It was a great pitch - just the swing was better.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This MLB season is starting to look like an NCAA football season. Everyone who is .500 or above is currently looking to play in the post season. Everyone who is below .500 is out.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
And that doesn't address bad pitches other batters may see because the pitcher is worried about that crazy baserunner - more so than other base stealers.

Despite his high strikeout rate, if I was in the Cubs organization locking him up would be a top priority. Not only is he a + defensively, and a monster on the base paths, but having a player who is that exciting to watch sells tickets. I have heard him called a bad pitch hitter - that is he swings at pitches outside the strike zone but turns more than his share of them into hits. We haven't seen that much of it this year, but that walk off hit (would have been at least a double if the game wasn't over) was a great example. It was a great pitch - just the swing was better.

The wild swinging thing is much more of a 3-4 years ago thing, but reputations stick longer than reality.
Gotta keep Javy. He's long taken over as my favorite Cub of my lifetime. Andre Dawson held on strong, but Javy is amazing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron