• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I don't understand why CMC really seems to undervalue the non-conference and especially Iowa. It's a great time to come out and set the tone and it's your easiest chance at wins. I mean he has to know that he is judged on the W/L record. Not to mention setting a good tone for the whole year, improving post-season bowls (if you win in the non-con), etc. It doesn't make sense.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Agree.

Also, question:

What if TCU can't play the game on 9/26 due to having a ton of covid cases still? Do they forfeit?

Also, If they fail again this week, that means they can't play ISU the following week, right? How does this all work, because there really isn't another date available to have a make-up game?
I believe it becomes a no-contest if a team postpones and is unable to reschedule. I think the Big 12 left a week or two at the tail end of the season just for reschedules.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I don't understand why CMC really seems to undervalue the non-conference and especially Iowa. It's a great time to come out and set the tone and it's your easiest chance at wins. I mean he has to know that he is judged on the W/L record. Not to mention setting a good tone for the whole year, improving post-season bowls (if you win in the non-con), etc. It doesn't make sense.

Yup; and we even have *experts* here who verify the staff doesn't put as much time & effort in preparation for non-conf games. At least they admit we're not prepared. Even CMC admits it:

"....From my standpoint, first and foremost, is, ‘Man, did we have them ready to play?’ It was the fundamentals like staying in your coverage lanes on the return game in terms of special teams, it was tackling and big plays in critical moments on defense and it was taking care of the football on offense.

At Iowa State you’re going to have to win in the margins. And if you refuse to win in the margins, it’s really going to be hard for us to have success. ...."

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Rhoads took us a step farther than McCarney. Campbell took us a step farther than Rhoads thus far. If Campbell doesn't end being the guy to go to the next step, I think it's still possible.

I would say probable with a whole lot of 'ifs'

If the athletic department can navigate this deadly pandemic and somehow become stronger

If the entertainment district can get rolling

If the Big 12 stays together in 2025

If Matt and JP stick around

Stuff like that

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It seems that for ISU football, things that shouldn't be struggles are struggles.

Two years ago ISU struggled with Drake. Yeah, it was a crappy day, but ISU should not have struggled that badly. Then, last year, struggling with UNI, and then with KU, and then this year, with UL. On a more micro scale, ISU struggles with special teams, dropping passes, blocking, year after year. At some point, special teams need to be routine...P5 (and G5 as we saw last Saturday) are too hard to be giving away points on special teams.

Over the past three years, ISU has played OU (the best team in the conference and three-years-running participant in the college playoff) as well, or better than, any team in the Big 12. The ability is there, but why does ISU end 7-6 last year? Why the struggles?

As one of my Texas friends says...there are plenty of hard deals...don't run out of gas turning easier deals into more hard deals.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm speculating big time here, but maybe it's something that has been conditioned over time with him. At Toledo, they were always the "buy" game for bigger programs. Hell, they came to Ames and lost to one of the worst Rhoads teams. It happened every year, there would be preseason games that he would expect to maybe be competitive in, but ultimately not win. If they did, great, but he knew if not, they could still run the table in the MAC and get into a decent MAC bowl game. So from very early on as a D1 coach, he probably learned to undervalue non con games. I know, I know, wild theory, but I'm grasping for any way of understanding this.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

Current Time 0:19
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

0:19
Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:00

Playback Rate

1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track

Fullscreen
This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.
TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent
BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent
WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%
Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow
Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog
End of dialog window.​

I'm speculating big time here, but maybe it's something that has been conditioned over time with him. At Toledo, they were always the "buy" game for bigger programs. Hell, they came to Ames and lost to one of the worst Rhoads teams. It happened every year, there would be preseason games that he would expect to maybe be competitive in, but ultimately not win. If they did, great, but he knew if not, they could still run the table in the MAC and get into a decent MAC bowl game. So from very early on as a D1 coach, he probably learned to undervalue non con games. I know, I know, wild theory, but I'm grasping for any way of understanding this.

No, we haven't been a super great team out of the gate but how many good data points do we have to look at? Throw 2016's loss to UNI out the window, that was a bad football team. 2017 we man handled UNI in the opener and lost to a good Iowa football team in OT. 2018 we essentially opened at Iowa and were in that game despite not even having a game to knock the rust off. I will give you UNI last year, that thing wasn't pretty. This year was such a strange situation I just don't know how much stock you can really put into it. I would love to see us win 7-8 games this year but it's going to be a weird year for everyone. I said it in another thread but I actually think the road teams have an advantage this year because nobody is walking into a hostile environment and the home team generally thrives on that crowd energy.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Great thread. Now there’s blood on the streets in CFtown.

The only surprise to me is our Chile con McCarney fans haven’t chimed in yet to say that we never should have fired him. With a couple weeks to go before the next game, I expect that to be the next twist.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Ignoring that CPR had the luxury of playing in the Big 12 North for three of those years and an 8 game conference schedule is really f*cking lazy. Great thread though.

Especially considering they only played Texas and OU once in that time.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Great thread. Now there’s blood on the streets in CFtown.

The only surprise to me is our Chile con McCarney fans haven’t chimed in yet to say that we never should have fired him. With a couple weeks to go before the next game, I expect that to be the next twist.

Let me be the first to point out that Wayne Morgan had more wins and fewer losses in his first three years than Fred Hoiberg did.

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
If anyone really wants to compare the coaching of CPR vs CMC, I encourage you to rewatch the 2015 KSU vs ISU game in Manhattan. We were up 3 touchdowns at halftime. Go and watch the last 2 minutes of the game, when KSU scored 10 points in the last 30 seconds. We had the game won (or at the very least overtime), and all we had to do was down the football. CPR called for a Lanning run, where was immediately tackled, and fumbled the ball. KSU kicked the game winning FG as time expired.

99.9% of coaches would have won that game, or played for overtime. Somehow, CPR found a way to lose that game. Watch the last 2 minutes of that game, then try to compare CPR as a coach to CMC. Good luck.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If anyone really wants to compare the coaching of CPR vs CMC, I encourage you to rewatch the 2015 KSU vs ISU game in Manhattan. We were up 3 touchdowns at halftime. Go and watch the last 2 minutes of the game, when KSU scored 10 points in the last 30 seconds. We had the game won (or at the very least overtime), and all we had to do was down the football. CPR called for a Lanning run, where was immediately tackled, and fumbled the ball. KSU kicked the game winning FG as time expired.

99.9% of coaches would have won that game, or played for overtime. Somehow, CPR found a way to lose that game. Watch the last 2 minutes of that game, then try to compare CPR as a coach to CMC. Good luck.

No. A curse upon you for even suggesting this.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored