NBA: **Cyclones in the NBA and G-League, 2019-2020

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Not even just Matt. There are some other pieces on that team that could have helped for a couple minutes in the third. They barely moved on offense in the fourth after their starters looked tired for most of the game. All 3 bench players that played for Toronto had positive +/-. All starters were negative. Give Thomas a 5 minute run in the third/early fourth and give Boucher a few as well. I can understand not giving them minutes if they blew a lead earlier, but the back-ups put them back in the game in the first half.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
It's strange to me how Toronto had a great bench all season long that has been coming through for them in the bubble and they barely get used when their starters are absolutely gassed and not playing well enough to close this lead.

siakim was nonexistent this series

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Well, Matty Ice proved that he can contribute in the NBA playoffs but the Raptors are leaving the bubble now (I'd say "heading back to Canada" but I'm not sure the Canadian government would let them in). His line in last night's game: 5 MIN, 3 PT, 1-1 3PT, 1 REB and +6.

In the two playoff series, he ended up scoring 32 points and shot 42% from 3. He also had 7 assists and only 1 turnover, meaning that the Cyclone in the playoffs with the best assist-to-turnover ratio was not named Monte Morris.

I have to tip my hat to Matt; he's come so far and his D is good enough to allow that awesome shot onto the court.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
If the Nuggets can't come back all the way from 3-1 in their series, Monte will be done and the Lakers will have the only Cyclone left in the playoffs.

Who had THT as the last guy getting playoff minutes this year?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If the Nuggets can't come back all the way from 3-1 in their series, Monte will be done and the Lakers will have the only Cyclone left in the playoffs.

Who had THT as the last guy getting playoff minutes this year?
The Nuggets have been the comeback kids the last couple of years so I wouldn't count them out yet.

I thought it showed how much trust Malone has in Monte' that he kept subbing him in on offense when they were protecting that lead in the final minute. Monte' promptly got fouled in his very first second on the court in that final minute and knocked them down to help seal the victory. Those were some big free throws.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Nuggets have been the comeback kids the last couple of years so I wouldn't count them out yet.

I thought it showed how much trust Malone has in Monte that he kept subbing him in on offense when they were protecting that lead in the final minute. Monte promptly got fouled in his very first second on the court in that final minute and knocked them down to help seal the victory. Those were some big free throws.
It's true that they came back from 3-1 vs. the Jazz. I hope they can get past this very good Clippers team. Imagine a 2nd quarter in the Western Conf Semis with THT guarding Monte!

Yeah, I was happy to see Monte going back in and I had no doubt he was going to drain those free throws. The dude is clutch.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
It's true that they came back from 3-1 vs. the Jazz. I hope they can get past this very good Clippers team. Imagine a 2nd quarter in the Western Conf Semis with THT guarding Monte!

Yeah, I was happy to see Monte going back in and I had no doubt he was going to drain those free throws. The dude is clutch.

That is one of the first times I've actually seen Malone utilize offensive/defensive substitutions late in the game. He usually just goes with the defensive line up and hopes that Jokic/Murray can get it done at the other end.

• Agree
Reactions: knowlesjam

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It's a good thing we're a basketball school, amiright?

Just a note to say that THT might be getting some run tonight vs. the Rockets at 8pm ET / 7pm CT on ESPN. Not that ESPN fans are enamored with being on ESPN today...

Some nice press for Talen after his appearance last game for the Lakers. No less than the LA Times had these blurbs:

“I’ve seen such special things from him,” Lakers wing Danny Green said. “I think he’s going to be a great player in this league one of these days, so I’m looking forward to watching him grow. But he came in and gave us great minutes. Those minutes were huge. And I expect he’ll keep that up.”

On Thursday night, as he entered a playoff game for the first time, Horton-Tucker got a pep talk from LeBron James, who told him not to worry about mistakes. He told Horton-Tucker that he and the rest of the teammates would have his back on the court and cover any mistakes he made as he tried to stay loose and play to the best of his ability.

Full article: https://www.latimes.com/sports/lake...ton-tucker-nba-playoffs-debut-houston-rockets

From SB Nation's Silver Screen and Roll (which is an AWESOME name):

“I was proud of Talen Horton-Tucker for coming in in his first playoff minutes and playing really well. He’s got a bright future with us. He gave us a big lift in that first half,” said Lakers head coach Frank Vogel after the game.

(I'm going to assume that LeBron knows his full name)

“We got Rook in the game today and he was huge in his first stint in the postseason,” James said. “I thought Rook was really good tonight, coming in and giving us some huge minutes when [Markieff Morris] got in foul trouble.”

Link: https://www.silverscreenandroll.com...-horton-tucker-lakers-vs-rockets-recap-lebron

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Pretty cool for Talen!

Here’s some future “Stump the Schwab” material.

I’m thinking Talen still has a chance to be the first player born after 2000 to make a NBA finals and maybe the Western Conference.

-I know last week, MIAMI’s Tyler Hero was the first to make the Eastern Conference finals born after 2000.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Lakers eliminated the Houston Beards last night to advance to the Western finals. Talen Horton-Tucker again got first half minutes (4 minutes and 2 points). I haven't watched the game yet but it appears his 2nd half minutes were when the game was effectively over. He again put up an impressive line: 10 MIN, 9 PT, 4-7 FG, 1-2 3PT, 3 REB. There was a tweet in the NBA season thread that said that compared to his year at ISU, his conditioning is much better now; it looks like that's true, to me.

Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Maybe someone that follows this thread can answer what could very possibly be a stupid question -- with the changes in CF's Forums, how do you start a new thread? Clearly I've started them before but now the "new thread" button no longer appears on my thread. Not sure if this went away with the re-design or the advent of being a paying member (I hadn't taken that step yet). But I have been digging around and don't see anything.

I thought a season's "Cyclones in the NFL" thread would be good since we had sort of random Montgomery and Lazard threads last year but no centralized place for those types of comments / content. (I had a couple things to post on Montgomery and Osemele).

What am I missing? I just don't see where you start one anymore.

Reactions: qwerty

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
THT was essentially point guard for the garbage time group.

One odd thing I noticed in garbage time was the deep bench Rocket players were all but throwing fists at Dwight Howard.

Dwight must carry league-wide bad rep.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Maybe someone that follows this thread can answer what could very possibly be a stupid question -- with the changes in CF's Forums, how do you start a new thread? Clearly I've started them before but now the "new thread" button no longer appears on my thread. Not sure if this went away with the re-design or the advent of being a paying member (I hadn't taken that step yet). But I have been digging around and don't see anything.

I thought a season's "Cyclones in the NFL" thread would be good since we had sort of random Montgomery and Lazard threads last year but no centralized place for those types of comments / content. (I had a couple things to post on Montgomery and Osemele).

What am I missing? I just don't see where you start one anymore.
On mobile i see this, looks like two ways
Desktop looks similar, just spread out more. You should see a Post Thread button in the upper right, and at the very top of the list of threads in this forum a Thread title text box for easy thread creation.

Attachments

• C18675C7-D9C2-407E-BE51-8511389AE783.jpeg
    C18675C7-D9C2-407E-BE51-8511389AE783.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 4

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
On mobile i see this, looks like two ways
Desktop looks similar, just spread out more. You should see a Post Thread button in the upper right, and at the very top of the list of threads in this forum a Thread title text box for easy thread creation.
I appreciate that. I still don't see that button, which I had before. But on mobile under "pro sports" I had the round pencil button so I used that to start the thread. Thanks for your help.

On my laptop, I still can't find either of those buttons and I hadn't noticed because I last started a thread probably in early winter.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I appreciate that. I still don't see that button, which I had before. But on mobile under "pro sports" I had the round pencil button so I used that to start the thread. Thanks for your help.

On my laptop, I still can't find either of those buttons and I hadn't noticed because I last started a thread probably in early winter.
What browser are you using? That's strange!