PODCAST: Jamie Pollard on the last 14 days

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I lived in Ames for twenty years. There is a determined core of people in Ames who want it to be their own little Camelot, to be exactly as they envision it, and never to change.
That they want to siphon off the best of Iowa State University and control what they don’t like is no surprise.

Then you'd better blame the ISU faculty and staff. You know, those folks that have dominated the Ames city council and decision-making boards in Ames for years!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Cutting your nose off to spite your face.
How so? Pollard has my trust in putting us in the best possible place. If he goes, that means the others he was referring to are more in power than what I thought or what is For our collective good. I’m not giving a dime to that.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
How so? Pollard has my trust in putting us in the best possible place. If he goes, that means the others he was referring to are more in power than what I thought or what is For our collective good. I’m not giving a dime to that.
Exactly. Only way we can inflict change is with our pocket book. I do not donate to things I do not believe in.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hindsight is of course 20/20, and the new mall feels like a dodged bullet now. But with that said, at the time it was proposed, the opposition wasn't based in the thought that it would fail. The main opposition was the thought that it would be too successful and steal business away from main street.

I don't know - at the time it was pretty clear where retail was heading and malls were not it. And even if opposition was based on business being "stolen" from main street, it is not a bad position for a city to push back on development outside of town while adjacent parts of the core city need significant help and development. The people that were for the mall weren't realistic - they were basically taking the approach that North Grand Mall wasn't doing well because it sucked, not because it was a dying model (which most people knew at the time). But I'd still consider this more of a broken clock being right twice a day than the city being good at planning.

Anyway, this is kind of a derailment, because it sounds like i'm trying to defend the anti-growth faction of the city, which I am not. I can understand Pollard's frustration, as there are some real pain in the ass people in the community that probably make his job difficult.

Reactions: STLISU

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
After graduating from ISU I accepted a position with the IDOT in Ames because I was already working there as an intern while in school. After being there for one year I decided to get the heck out of Ames and go to work in a real life city and so I did. To me everyone in Ames was either connected to ISU or IDOT and I didn't like that type of narrow minded thinking and behaving. That was the one and only reason for me to move out of there.

As the offspring of two former IDOT employees, a graduate of ISU and now a resident of the western suburbs of DSM. I'm not sure I could live in Ames ever again... The no new growth, never change crowd has way too much of a voice.

To think. Ames could be a booming Ag-tech and engineering hub with bustling employment and tons of amenities with just a little effort. DSM metro, especially Ankeny has really benefitied from ISU fans wanting to be close to Ames but having a better life in Ankeny

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't know - at the time it was pretty clear where retail was heading and malls were not it. And even if opposition was based on business being "stolen" from main street, it is not a bad position for a city to push back on development outside of town while adjacent parts of the core city need significant help and development. The people that were for the mall weren't realistic - they were basically taking the approach that North Grand Mall wasn't doing well because it sucked, not because it was a dying model (which most people knew at the time). But I'd still consider this more of a broken clock being right twice a day than the city being good at planning.

Anyway, this is kind of a derailment, because it sounds like i'm trying to defend the anti-growth faction of the city, which I am not. I can understand Pollard's frustration, as there are some real pain in the ass people in the community that probably make his job difficult.
I don't know if I agree with you. The new mall push was coming right on the heels of Jordan Creek opening up. And regardless of the outlook of malls at the time, it was blindingly obvious that Jordan Creek had been a massive success. That entire area on the West side of Des Moines seemingly grew by the day. The new mall backers had stars in their eyes, drooling over doinga similar thing for 13th street/I-35 area.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
If Pollard goes, so do my donations. He has pulled Iowa State out of athletics obscurity.

Campbell has stated numerous times that he is tied to Pollard. If Pollard leaves. Matt is gone.. If anyone wants Pollard gone. Please go take a long walk on a short dock

ISU sports should be entering an amazing period. Football is the best it's ever been. Men's basketball is winning and getting players drafted. Womens basketball is about to explode (already a top 1/2 of the conference program). Wrestling is coming back from the death after Sanderson left. Cross country is dominating. Track and field is winning. Men's golf is/has been qualifying and contending for NCAA's (almost impossible for a northern climate team)

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If everyone did that, ISU sports would disappear. Have fun.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Campbell has stated numerous times that he is tied to Pollard. If Pollard leaves. Matt is gone.. If anyone wants Pollard gone. Please go take a long walk on a short dock

ISU sports should be entering an amazing period. Football is the best it's ever been. Men's basketball is winning and getting players drafted. Womens basketball is about to explode (already a top 1/2 of the conference program). Wrestling is coming back from the death after Sanderson left. Cross country is dominating. Track and field is winning. Men's golf is has been qualifying and contending for NCAA's (almost impossible for a northern climate team)
Does anybody really want Pollard gone? I'd love to see that logic.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
As the offspring of two former IDOT employees, a graduate of ISU and now a resident of the western suburbs of DSM. I'm not sure I could live in Ames ever again... The no new growth, never change crowd has way too much of a voice.

To think. Ames could be a booming Ag-tech and engineering hub with bustling employment and tons of amenities with just a little effort. DSM metro, especially Ankeny has really benefitied from ISU fans wanting to be close to Ames but having a better life in Ankeny
This times 1000X. Work in Ames but won't ever live in Ames again.

Reactions: aauummm

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Brown University epidemiologist put this together:

This is obviously good, but the point isn't how many college kids are hospitalized, it is who they pass it on to. And even if hospitalizations stay down, there are other ramifications. What if they pass it to someone who gives it to teachers and Ames schools have to stay remote only? People are ******** about remote school, but outbreaks at Iowa State forced Ames to go remote for a few weeks.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't know if I agree with you. The new mall push was coming right on the heels of Jordan Creek opening up. And regardless of the outlook of malls at the time, it was blindingly obvious that Jordan Creek had been a massive success. That entire area on the West side of Des Moines seemingly grew by the day. The new mall backers had stars in their eyes, drooling over doinga similar thing for 13th street/I-35 area.
That’s the thing, if somebody had a bold idea ahead of Jordan Creek, maybe you’d have something. But the mall was already there and that growth was kicking off. So then it was an idea to try to replicate in a town of 50k what is working in close proximity to DM, WDM, Clive, Grimes, Urbandale, etc.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
This is obviously good, but the point isn't how many college kids are hospitalized, it is who they pass it on to. And even if hospitalizations stay down, there are other ramifications. What if they pass it to someone who gives it to teachers and Ames schools have to stay remote only? People are ******** about remote school, but outbreaks at Iowa State forced Ames to go remote for a few weeks.
The other concern isn't just Ames, it's everywhere else. People drive in from places other than Ames, then carry risk of spreading it into their own communities. Keeping it contained within campus is arguably best-case scenario, but that dampens as soon as you mix students with other people. Then, your worst-case scenario becomes linking outside spreads back to gamedays, thus bringing in pressure to stop the games altogether. It's a tough thing to balance, but also one that can be regularly revisited and adjusted throughout the season if approached carefully. No fans for one game doesn't mean no fans at all, and at the end of the day, fans are irrelevant. The goal is to play games. That's what's most important.

All that said, I feel for Jamie 'cuz there's no winning. The general issue is too politicized and tribal to be able to make a decision that everyone accepts without major criticism.

Last edited:
Reactions: volclone

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That’s the thing, if somebody had a bold idea ahead of Jordan Creek, maybe you’d have something. But the mall was already there and that growth was kicking off. So then it was an idea to try to replicate in a town of 50k what is working in close proximity to DM, WDM, Clive, Grimes, Urbandale, etc.
To be clear, I'm not saying that it was a good idea. I'm simply saying that the failure of malls was not something that was being strongly considered at that time, because 90 minutes south was an example of a recently built mall that had been incredibly successful. The fear of the anti-mall folk was not that it would be unsuccessful and drag the town down. Opposition was centered around money being taken away from local businesses and main street being de-emphasized as a shopping area.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

ISU sports should be entering an amazing period. Football is the best it's ever been. Men's basketball is winning and getting players drafted. Womens basketball is about to explode (already a top 1/2 of the conference program). Wrestling is coming back from the death after Sanderson left. Cross country is dominating. Track and field is winning. Men's golf is/has been qualifying and contending for NCAA's (almost impossible for a northern climate team)

Seriously - anybody that actually likes ISU sports and cares about it that wants Pollard gone should get their head checked. He's not perfect, but he's done a ton to raise the profile of ISU athletics.

There are people that want Pollard gone, but chances are they are not ISU athletics fans.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron