CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I think ultimately the AD controlling CY/Fisher needs to be revisited. Even though the AD is by IRS classification a non-profit, in many (most?) ways it has to be run like a "for-profit" because it has to make enough revenue to pay for all it does, since it does not take any taxpayer funds. If CY/Fisher are to be part of the infrastructure to satisfy the fine arts element of ISU's mission, they can't be run like a for-profit. As mentioned before, those venues somehow need to be subsidized. If the AD is unwilling to do that, then another arrangement is necessary.
I doubt there is a single fine arts facility in Iowa that isnt subsidized.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
I think ultimately the AD controlling CY/Fisher needs to be revisited. Even though the AD is by IRS classification a non-profit, in many (most?) ways it has to be run like a "for-profit" because it has to make enough revenue to pay for all it does, since it does not take any taxpayer funds. If CY/Fisher are to be part of the infrastructure to satisfy the fine arts element of ISU's mission, they can't be run like a for-profit. As mentioned before, those venues somehow need to be subsidized. If the AD is unwilling to do that, then another arrangement is necessary.
Yeah if only there was a way for CY/Fisher to get money for the things they need. Whats that thing the athletic department does? Fund raise? Donations?

I say we take the money (approx. a milli right?) we are using to subsidize See Why Stephens and get the baseball team fired back up. ISU Baseball coming 2022.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
But he didn't say "here's what will happen if there are 0 fans for the rest of the year." He said, "there will be 0 fans the rest of the year, and as a result this is what is happening."

The first is what he should have said. The second, which is not true, is what he did say. The two are quite different.
I guess my question is why do you think the first statement is true? Pollard would be in a position to know what was said between himself and the President Wintersteen, and maybe it is not fans for the rest of the year as of now. It sounded like based on his tweets others in positions of influence laid down thery're demands in regards to fans in the stands, and we are at where we are at. And in Pollards defense he said" Well now here is what we will have to do." I think Jaime's delivery is often adversarial on Twitter, but I find that to be the case for most people when they jump on their keyboard.

I think he had a plan, had accounted for what that would do to his budget, and was ready to go, and then was told no you cant. And now he has to make some hard decisions on the livelihood of people he works with daily.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I explained it before that he probably would have done himself a favor if he would have said that Stephens would be closed "for the duration of the pandemic" rather than "indefinitely". That would make a lot of the people up in arms at this time a lot more secure that this wasn't a convenient attempt to close Stephens for good.

Well, the "duration of the pandemic" is "indefinite" i.e. unlimited or unspecified period of time. Unless you know something no one else does. He worded it correctly. So maybe in the future those up in arms would be better served to think a little more and knee jerk a little less.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well, the "duration of the pandemic" is "indefinite" i.e. unlimited or unspecified period of time. Unless you know something no one else does. He worded it correctly. So maybe in the future those up in arms would be better served to think a little more and knee jerk a little less.
"Duration of the pandemic" implies that when the pandemic ends or at least allows unfettered mingling of crowds that it will reopen. "Indefinitely" indicates that there is no landmark that will signal reopening so it could never reopen. When "indefinitely" is directly paired with "$25-50M of deferred maintenance" it clearly indicates that he's thinking a pretty huge commitment will be required to get the thing open again. Who sees the AD sinking $25M into a closed, non-athletic related facility to reopen it?

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
Along with also being subsidized by a couple million in student fees
The only fee that students pay that would even come remotely close to what you are referring to would be the Activity, Services, Building and Recreation fee. That covers:

" The activity, services & building fee is a mandatory fee that supports a variety of activities and services for all students. It is not based on whether or not a student uses an individual activity or service. This fee provides several benefits such as student admission rates to concerts and athletic events and, unlimited use of CyRide, the Ames bus system. In addition, the fee provides support for campus recreation facilities, the Memorial Union, and campus organizations and services as allocated by the Government of the Student Body. The activity, services, building and recreation fee includes assessments of the following amounts for each fall and spring semester (full time student). "

The only thing students are subsidizing is the cost of their own tickets.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The only fee that students pay that would even come remotely close to what you are referring to would be the Activity, Services, Building and Recreation fee. That covers:

" The activity, services & building fee is a mandatory fee that supports a variety of activities and services for all students. It is not based on whether or not a student uses an individual activity or service. This fee provides several benefits such as student admission rates to concerts and athletic events and, unlimited use of CyRide, the Ames bus system. In addition, the fee provides support for campus recreation facilities, the Memorial Union, and campus organizations and services as allocated by the Government of the Student Body. The activity, services, building and recreation fee includes assessments of the following amounts for each fall and spring semester (full time student). "

The only thing students are subsidizing is the cost of their own tickets.

ISU AD receives about 2 mil\year in student fees

I see value in the subsidy as a good number of students do go to games (though the majority do not), but lets not pretend its anything other than what it is, a subsidy of ISU athletics by students. So its a bit hypocritical for Jamie to go on about the arts being subsidized when his own department is as well.

• Dumb
Reactions: MustardTiger

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger

I see value in the subsidy as a good number of students do go to games (though the majority do not), but lets not pretend its anything other than what it is, a subsidy of ISU athletics by students. So its a bit hypocritical for Jamie to go on about the arts being subsidized when his own department is as well.
I feel like I covered that with my last sentance: " The only thing students are subsidizing is the cost of their own tickets. "

$2,000,000 / 4,800 Student Tickets = $420
$420 +$150 for actual student ticket = $570 for a season ticket.

$570 is on par with market value ($500 for sections opposite student section + $0-500 donation)

This doesn't even factor in basketball tickets and all the other sporting events students can attend for free.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Your own link proves you wrong. Click on ISU. That $2 million is student fees. The school funding dropped to zero in 2011.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I feel like I covered that with my last sentance: " The only thing students are subsidizing is the cost of their own tickets. "

$570 is on par with market value ($500 for sections opposite student section + $0-500 donation)

This doesn't even factor in basketball tickets and all the other sporting events students can attend for free.

Justify it all you want. I'm not even against the subsidy. Just don't pretend its not a subsidy any more than the million a year the university kicks in to Stephens which also benefits a large number of students. On the AD end, essentially, 85% of students are subsidizing tickets for 15% (which seems pretty similar to Jamie's claims that others were having their tickets subsidized), and guaranteeing 10% of the AD's ticket sales. Also, your math is just a bit off considering a large chunk of the student section's seats are actually equivalent to the $325 tickets on the other side

• Dumb
Reactions: MustardTiger

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

A lot of the fees are to cover the discounted tickets to football, yes; but they also cover the basketball ticket subsidies. They get into olympic sports for free where others have to pay. When I was in college we could park in the commuter lots for free and this supported that. There are other things that that $60 fee covers (not sure it is 60, just doing quick math)

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
Just don't pretend its not a subsidy any more than the million a year the university kicks in to Stephens which also benefits a large number of students.

I know you think it is (or want it to be), but this ain't it chief.

Also, your math is just a bit off considering a large chunk of the student section's seats are actually equivalent to the $325 tickets on the other side

I mean I didn't even include the cost basketball tickets and those associated donation requirements.. So it would actually be less. Students are not paying fees to the athletic department for anything they are not receiving a direct benefit to or access to.

Since so many (a LARGE number I'm told) students are benefiting from CY, then maybe there should be a fee (or increase in fee) for students. Would save them $1 million in athletic department fees. Oh but then tuition is too high and now people are crying about that. It's almost like things in this world cost money and it has to come from somewhere. But where??........

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
A lot of the fees are to cover the discounted tickets to football, yes; but they also cover the basketball ticket subsidies. They get into olympic sports for free where others have to pay. When I was in college we could park in the commuter lots for free and this supported that. There are other things that that $60 fee covers (not sure it is 60, just doing quick math)
That's exactly what I'm saying though. I just used football as an easy example. Students pay a fee for something they receive benefit from. The athletic department subsidizing CY does nothing for the athletic department. Cut bait, and send it back to the university or City to deal with.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That's exactly what I'm saying though. I just used football as an easy example. Students pay a fee for something they receive benefit from. The athletic department subsidizing CY does nothing for the athletic department. Cut bait, and send it back to the university or City to deal with.

If the AD does that, it should send the rest of the ISC back as well. Or should the AD just get to benefit from the profitable parts of it?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If the AD does that, it should send the rest of the ISC back as well. Or should the AD just get to benefit from the profitable parts of it?
I'm not so sure how profitable Hilton is anymore. Since Jamie decided that a concert that pays the bills should never conflict with a basketball practice (this was before the practice facility) Hilton revenues have to be in the dump. They pretty much don't do any touring shows there anymore.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah if only there was a way for CY/Fisher to get money for the things they need. Whats that thing the athletic department does? Fund raise? Donations?

I say we take the money (approx. a milli right?) we are using to subsidize See Why Stephens and get the baseball team fired back up. ISU Baseball coming 2022.

I know your being sarcastic. But baseball was a money sink with low attendance even when it was good. There currently is a club team just like hockey I believe.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
There are profitable parts? Which parts? The grass parts people pay to park on for football? Those parts?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There are profitable parts? Which parts? The grass parts people pay to park on for football? Those parts?
He's referring to Hilton that was the engine that ran the Iowa State Center. And it was concerts that paid the bills, not athletics. The AD got pretty favorable rates for their rental of the venue. I think Jamie didn't like the idea of paying rent. I'm sure after he took it over he realized that the rent was a hell of a lot cheaper than running the place.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
He's referring to Hilton that was the engine that ran the Iowa State Center. And it was concerts that paid the bills, not athletics. The AD got pretty favorable rates for their rental of the venue. I think Jamie didn't like the idea of paying rent. I'm sure after he took it over he realized that the rent was a hell of a lot cheaper than running the place.

Not just hilton, but the chunk of land between hilton and JTS that is now seen as having potential to be an income generator.