NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Big Ten I can kind of agree because of the over the top influence they have on the "committee" and the media of the sport in general.

Pac I've kind of forgiven for their idiotic villain role in conference realignment as realities of the universe had already crushed them well before Covid.

Is it really because there are so many options out there is why their attendance is so bad at so many things? I can remember when UCLA and USC were good now it seems they have all kinds of problems with attendance, budgets, pretty much the whole ball of wax.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Is it really because there are so many options out there is why their attendance is so bad at so many things? I can remember when UCLA and USC were good now it seems they have all kinds of problems with attendance, budgets, pretty much the whole ball of wax.

Having lived here a while not too far from UCLA, I'd say it's more just a cultural thing rather than the "we're so busy doing stuff outside we can't follow sports". I've become a ridiculous outdoors nut (climbing, backpacking, surfing), but I'll still be parked in front of my TV at 9am Saturday for ISU/Louisiana because it's just in my blood.

There really won't be a big a difference in LA with no college football (outside people working directly for the two programs). A handful of downtown neighborhoods get a bit of USC fan action, but nothing major throughout the city, and nothing like Ames, Lincoln or Iowa City on gameday. The Lakers is really the only thing that would be truly crazy for LA to not have. Anything else wouldn't really affect day to day culture.

Pac 12's hubris was confusing tv markets with actual fans willing to spend actual $$$ at the exact moment that shift was happening. Sure they have more people than the B12 footprint but drastically fewer people who will buy season football tickets or pay for a streaming subscription just for football.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
If I were a player with serious NFL potential I'd be telling my coaches that my "practice only" season is basically lifting weights, bike/treadmill, and film study or I'm heading to another program. Even just running routes is a serious risk to the knees.

Imagine getting a serious injury during a practice only season where there isn't even a lot of potential to impress scouts.

I still don't get why practice without playing fan-free games. Practicing with no games vs fan-free games is 99% of the risk to the players and community with hardly any of the reward.

Non contact practice. And yes you have to run routes no matter what or you get out of condition. Not like the old days where kids took summers off (or off seasons off).

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Having lived here a while not too far from UCLA, I'd say it's more just a cultural thing rather than the "we're so busy doing stuff outside we can't follow sports". I've become a ridiculous outdoors nut (climbing, backpacking, surfing), but I'll still be parked in front of my TV at 9am Saturday for ISU/Louisiana because it's just in my blood.

There really won't be a big a difference in LA with no college football (outside people working directly for the two programs). A handful of downtown neighborhoods get a bit of USC fan action, but nothing major throughout the city, and nothing like Ames, Lincoln or Iowa City on gameday. The Lakers is really the only thing that would be truly crazy for LA to not have. Anything else wouldn't really affect day to day culture.

Pac 12's hubris was confusing tv markets with actual fans willing to spend actual $$$ at the exact moment that shift was happening. Sure they have more people than the B12 footprint but drastically fewer people who will buy season football tickets or pay for a streaming subscription just for football.

That's the part that sucks about the west coast. **** starts too early. Not as bad as Hawaii, but it is just too early. Most do not want to start watching at 9am and their PAC late games, everyone east of the Rockies is asleep if not at the start, then by halftime. And I think the players out there in LA probably have a few more distractions year round. The ladies never have to put on their winter clothes.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That's the part that sucks about the west coast. **** starts too early. Not as bad as Hawaii, but it is just too early. Most do not want to start watching at 9am and their PAC late games, everyone east of the Rockies is asleep if not at the start, then by halftime. And I think the players out there in LA probably have a few more distractions year round. The ladies never have to put on their winter clothes.

I make a giant pot of coffee and a big breakfast with every 9am kickoff. At this point it seems more natural than a beer and wings to me.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I make a giant pot of coffee and a big breakfast with every 9am kickoff. At this point it seems more natural than a beer and wings to me.
I moved to the West Coast before last year, and really enjoyed the early kickoffs. I could get most of the game in before my wife got up (late sleeper, no kids) and could start complaining that football was taking up the whole Saturday.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I'm always thinking--is this still the first reversal or did we reverse again?

Then I read a bit, notice still no fans, and then I have #sadface.

Reactions: flycy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Yeah, I hear the "there's nothing else to do" thing lobbed at ISU fans, but man, if I wasn't farming there are a million things I can do on a Fall Saturday that would be an absolute blast if college sports ceased to be a thing. Mountain biking, road biking, hiking, kayaking/canoeing. I have really good options for all of these activities with 30 miles of home.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The Coliseum was THE PLACE to be even for celebrities during the Carroll era.

Now if they're on TV you see it's just a really old stadium.

And really with lack of or smaller crowds we're going to see what a dump a lot of stadiums are, haha.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I moved to the West Coast before last year, and really enjoyed the early kickoffs. I could get most of the game in before my wife got up (late sleeper, no kids) and could start complaining that football was taking up the whole Saturday.

Early kickoffs rule. I'm not up until midnight watching the end of SNF or MNF, I don't have to "wait" until noon to get my football fix, and the bars open very early on the weekends. The west coast times fit my schedule a lot better than the midwest or east cost.

Reactions: exCyDing

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
25% has been a pretty common amount announced by teams that are having fans though?
Yes, which is why the ISU 25,000 fans is/was such a reach. There will be no outcry in Louisiana with this plan despite having a COVID case per million nearly 30% higher than Iowa and a COVID death rate 3 times the rate in Iowa.

Simply put, ISU overreached and paid the price.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The story has been retracted; at least the part about him dying of COVID.

If anyone thought that there would be zero deaths on any of the sports teams they were fooling themselves. The sheer number of athletes involved says that someone would just like if you looked at any group of that scale. A death from COVID (if it turns out this is one) should not be an indictment of playing sports.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Awwww, yeah. The meltdown is starting up in Wisconsin. Cases surging around college campuses.

County executive in Madison thinks UW should send kids home.

Nope. You all knew the risk. So did your parents. Stay in and around your dorms.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Capture.PNG
Yeah, it really is a stupid argument they are trying to make. If the flu killed at this rate, you bet your ass it would cause the same chaos. People still can't understand it's not all about the deaths, it's also about over loading the hospitals and there being no room for people.

Seems hospitals aren't too overloaded. This is today's Iowa date, same pretty much everywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and pdxclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron