Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I applaud Wintersteen for reversing course on this. For those saying this is poor leadership, do you prefer leaders who stubbornly won't change their mind or those who own up to their errors and are willing to change? Seems like an obvious answer to me.

If you want to see a poor example of leadership, look at the Big 10 right now. They are too stubborn and proud to admit that they may have jumped the gun on cancelling the season and did a horrible job of being transparent and communicating why they made their decisions.
The Big 10 is dumb for not admitting their mistake because they didn’t get the expected reaction. It was entitled to think people would follow them in cancelling but it was semi reasonable.

Iowa State got the expected reaction. If they weren’t expecting the reaction they got then that is a different problem altogether.

So the two options are they are weak leaders by being unable to with stand any pressure or they are so incompetent they didn’t expect the reaction they got. I think it is the former based on what Jamie said.

CY9395

Jun 7, 2010
So now we'll have fans across the State gathering together to watch the games at each other's residences. Quite frankly from a scientific standpoint I bet we would have kept cases down more by keeping people outside, at the game and in masks.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Reread the thread. Note every time someone points out that we were doing something different and against the grain. Now note any evidence (hint - it's zero) they have that 25% is any different than 40%.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Seems extreme to go from 25k to zero...Iowa covid numbers are going to drop and trend downward over next week to 10 days. and then continue to drop. They could have 5000 fans and properly social disctance etc.. FCS game had 3000 fans and there was no outbreak after that game..

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
After the news today, I am going to wait till tomorrow to see where we get reseated for our 4 seats, and then decide. But right now, I would say I am 90% sure that we will roll our season tickets over to next year, and just sit this season out.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Probably the right choice given the current spike, and knowing fans will ruin it so there’s no fans for Oklahoma. Flatten the curve and pack the Jack for the Oklahoma game.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yea it’s hilarious to me how much issue some had with that extra 15%. Which was probably going to be closer to 10% after a few more opting out. In reality those unhappy really just want no fans at all and not game played because it’s where they stand politically.
giphy.gif

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So now we'll have fans across the State gathering together to watch the games at each other's residences. Quite frankly from a scientific standpoint I bet we would have kept cases down more by keeping people outside, at the game and in masks.

It would be great if we all followed recommendations. The Iowa state athletes have, it is too bad our fans are too ******* stupid to.

• Winner
Reactions: RustShack

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Jamie's biggest fail in his decision and flip/flop is he failed to see that 25,000 was different. He kept talking about being in the middle ground yet the number was more than most others had decided. So he talked about being in the middle but was putting out a number that was not "in the middle".

• Agree
Reactions: Land Grant and jsb

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

That’s a personal responsibility decision in which ISU has no chance of liability. It’s not ISU’s job to keep people safe outside of their jurisdiction.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yea it’s hilarious to me how much issue some had with that extra 15%. Which was probably going to be closer to 10% after a few more opting out. In reality those unhappy really just want no fans at all and not game played because it’s where they stand politically.

Zero people on this board want no college football because of politics.

Anybody who finds this post remotely rational needs to step away from whatever they are being brainwashed by.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I applaud Wintersteen for reversing course on this. For those saying this is poor leadership, do you prefer leaders who stubbornly won't change their mind or those who own up to their errors and are willing to change? Seems like an obvious answer to me.

If you want to see a poor example of leadership, look at the Big 10 right now. They are too stubborn and proud to admit that they may have jumped the gun on cancelling the season and did a horrible job of being transparent and communicating why they made their decisions.

You don't own up to an error within 2 days of announcing it, it never should have been announced then. Nothing has changed in Iowa outside of some politically driven negative newspaper articles. Cases are down every day since it was announced.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You don't own up to an error within 2 days of announcing it, it never should have been announced then. Nothing has changed in Iowa outside of some politically driven negative newspaper articles. Cases are down every day since it was announced.

that’s two days. Probably people that were tested over the weekend when less tests were done. Percent positive is still high—over 10%.

Reactions: bawbie

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Thanks, that is some genius level math. Now, try to show me any evidence and specifically the increased rates of transmission/danger when going from 25% to 40%.

curious why other states—red states too—didn’t open at 40% capacity. If it is so obvious 40% is the same as 25%, why were we the only ones?