SI: College Football Leaders moving to cancel season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
If Nebraska wanted back into the Big 12, and the Big 10 just gave them "an out" that could legally be argued against the GOR, the Big 12 would be FOOLISH to not talk with them.

If you wanted to expand or expect West Virginia to one day leave, having them back in teh conference would be great for all members. They would also LOVE to have all those Husker subscriptions to their third tier rights.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
I'd be pretty surprised if Iowa State doesn't want to play. Unless Wintersteen is taking the conservative approach. I'd be shocked if Pollard wasn't all in. It appears we've had good success with workouts so far over the last two months, and he's done nothing but figure out ways to play all summer.

There isn't really a school I can think of that would definitely be a "no play" outside of Kansas, since they have nothing to play for anyway.
I can see Kansas as a yes.

Their fans in the stands already practice the gold standard in social distancing and are use to playing in an empty stadium.

They have a competitive advantage.

:jimlad:

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Interesting on the wait and see thing. I feel like there’s no evidence over the past 6 months to suddenly expect that things are going to get better in a month.

I see things getting "better" already compared to the out of control increases in cases we saw a month ago. Most states are level or on the decline right now. The wait and see approach is for returning to campus and how the virus is going to spread. If it's controlled, maybe a season can be played. If we see massive infection rates like many expect, then I think you really have to cancel at least for the optics of things. These first few weeks of classes will be very important for how the campuses are going to handle this, not just the football team.

Reactions: BigCyFan

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Holy sh17, these Big10 talking heads on TV refuse to understand that the Big12 has autonomy, that we don’t have to kowtow to the demands of the mighty Big10. The arrogance and their refusal to understand that they won’t be playing football this fall while the Big12 will be, is baffling.

All of their guests are saying the same crap, “The Big12 May be able to start the season but they won’t finish it”.

Personally, I think they’re shitting their pants.
I don't see the Big12's statement as being all in for a fall season. My take is the Big12 is appropriately slow playing a decision to play.

One step at a time.
  1. Get students back on campus And back in classes. (Around Aug 17)
  2. Have athletes continue current training program.
  3. Have athletes switch to Covid prescribed fall camp about 1 month before first games. (Week of Aug 24)
  4. Continue to monitor Covid science. Aka Myocarditis info is confirmed. Continue to monitor for outbreaks on campus among general student population and athletic teams. Pull plug if science or positive tests call for it. (Aug 20 to Sep 20)
Not sure why the Big10 felt a need to make a decision in mid-August. Maybe Myocarditis liability concerns. But not virus levels. Infection levels can change a lot in 45 days. AND players are already nearly 2 months in the "bubble".

The Pac-12 was looking for a reason to drop because California's philosophy on fighting Covid AND some schools going to online only learning.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can see Kansas as a yes.

Their fans in the stands already practice the gold standard in social distancing and are use to playing in an empty stadium.

They have a competitive advantage.

:jimlad:

Less games is less losses so anything positive for KU.

• Agree
Reactions: bgprest

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't see the Big12's statement as being all in for a fall season. My take is the Big12 is appropriately slow playing a decision to play.

One step at a time.
  1. Get students back on campus And back in classes. (Around Aug 17)
  2. Have athletes continue current training program.
  3. Have athletes switch to Covid prescribed fall camp about 1 month before first games. (Week of Aug 24)
  4. Continue to monitor Covid science. Aka Myocarditis info is confirmed. Continue to monitor for outbreaks on campus among general student population and athletic teams. Pull plug if science or positive tests call for it. (Aug 20 to Sep 20)
Not sure why the Big10 felt a need to make a decision in mid-August. Maybe Myocarditis liability concerns. But not virus levels. Infection levels can change a lot in 45 days. AND players are already nearly 2 months in the "bubble".

The Pac-12 was looking for a reason to drop because California's philosophy on fighting Covid AND some schools going to online only learning.
The key thing is what I bolded, and what the ACC, SEC, and other conferences have said while making their decision. They all feel comfortable where they are at as far as their protocols, and because of that, are continuing on with the idea that they will be playing football this fall. That doesn't mean they're 100% going to, but until something changes, they will be playing.

• Agree
Reactions: kcbob79clone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Question is does Hilton receive Fred back in with open arms as the coach of a different team, or does he get the Coach Self treatment of boos but respect.
I honestly think he'd get a huge standing ovation.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I see things getting "better" already compared to the out of control increases in cases we saw a month ago. Most states are level or on the decline right now. The wait and see approach is for returning to campus and how the virus is going to spread. If it's controlled, maybe a season can be played. If we see massive infection rates like many expect, then I think you really have to cancel at least for the optics of things. These first few weeks of classes will be very important for how the campuses are going to handle this, not just the football team.

Id be all in if states would go to the original CDC guidelines we were supposed to be following for“reopening” which is two straight weeks of uninterrupted declines in cases. The dumbest thing about this is we have no one to blame except the government and ourselves for taking our queues from a bunch of Republican morons.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Id be all in if states would go to the original CDC guidelines we were supposed to be following for“reopening” which is two straight weeks of uninterrupted declines in cases. The dumbest thing about this is we have no one to blame except the government and ourselves for taking our queues from a bunch of Republican morons.

And there are a lot of states that have 14 days of declines or are very close. It's just that they were so bad that it's going to take a long time to get back to low levels seen before the spikes. The key will be to keep people to continue being cautious even after the cases drop to reasonable levels.

And who knows, if the July spikes get people to change attitudes, then maybe it's good it happened then and not later when schools are in session. Sometimes it takes it to impact your area before you take notice.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
I don’t know if a college kid is safer or not by being out of football. That’s a legitimate question. I’ve stated the same as my main reasoning in favor of a season.

But the terribly flawed comparisons to much less dangerous diseases that are less contagious or things like drowning? Or the “everyone dies anyway” argument? All nonsense.

Coronavirus is much less dangerous for healthy 20 year olds in terms of the death rate than influenza, the common cold, swimming, riding in a car, and possibly football which has a death rate of 12 players a year on average. I am using ration and not emotion. Look up the statistics yourself no need to trust me. My point about death is we all except the risks of living with all of the above, including driving. Why the hysteria about Coronavirus which is carries less risk for healthy 20 year olds? If I am a 20 year old college student man I would want to play, and I would not want political correctness to make the choice for me.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Coronavirus is much less dangerous for healthy 20 year olds in terms of the death rate than influenza, the common cold, swimming, riding in a car, and possibly football which has a death rate of 12 players a year on average. I am using ration and not emotion. Look up the statistics yourself no need to trust me. My point about death is we all except the risks of living with all of the above, including driving. Why the hysteria about Coronavirus which is carries less risk for healthy 20 year olds? If I am a 20 year old college student man I would want to play, and I would not want political correctness to make the choice for me.

What if you had an underlying health condition you weren't aware of?
There could be players like Fred Hoiberg and Isaiah Austin with the intention of playing, but not understanding that Coronavirus could be fatal to them due to previously undiagnosed heart defects.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
What if you had an underlying health condition you weren't aware of?
There could be players like Fred Hoiberg and Isaiah Austin with the intention of playing, but not understanding that Coronavirus could be fatal to them due to previously undiagnosed heart defects.

Frankly then as I don't see the chances of them getting it really changing much whether or not they play football, and with the B12 guidelines for if someone has a positive test I would feel more secure in knowing they are going to check my heart out thoroughly if I am an athlete compared to the normal everyday student.

Reactions: BigCyFan