SI: College Football Leaders moving to cancel season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think its a bit disingenuous to act like they arent compensated highly. Between the tuition, room and board, stipends, etc, all but an elite few of them are making far more than their actual market value, and often more than many are making outside of college.

Think of this within the context of what is going on. CFB is a billion dollar industry. The NCAA and most colleges make money hand-over-fist. Right now, all of the risk of playing is on the players. They're the ones who are at risk for COVID. They are compensated at a rate that is a fraction of a fraction of a percent of what the NCAA/Institutions makes off these games.

So compensated? Maybe. Compensated at an appropriate rate given the revenue generated and the risk they are taking? No.

That's the core of this entire issue. The schools have been able to use student athletes to generate millions with them getting on a tiny, tiny share of the profit. In even a normal setting that isn't ok. When they are also facing the risks of COVID, it's really not ok.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Think of this within the context of what is going on. CFB is a billion dollar industry. The NCAA and most colleges make money hand-over-fist. Right now, all of the risk of playing is on the players. They're the ones who are at risk for COVID. They are compensated at a rate that is a fraction of a fraction of a percent of what the NCAA/Institutions makes off these games.

So compensated? Maybe. Compensated at an appropriate rate given the revenue generated and the risk they are taking? No.

That's the core of this entire issue. The schools have been able to use student athletes to generate millions with them getting on a tiny, tiny share of the profit. In even a normal setting that isn't ok. When they are also facing the risks of COVID, it's really not ok.

This is the case with plenty of industries. The share of total revenue someone makes is irrelevant. 99% of the college athletics brand comes from the alumni base, not from the individual players.

And the total compensation can easily be worth 40-50,000 a year. Don't try to tell me they aren't well compensated.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The bolded is the correct answer. The reason they aren't playing is because the players take all the risk and receive none of the reward. That's not a tenable situation, and schools wont budge on it.

It's not the unpaid players responsibility to bail the schools out of their financial mess, but the P5 schools aren't about to give the players any more rights. So here we are.
If players want pay then they better go pro.

The NCAA model is not perfect. But it does a good job from an educational and opportunity standpoint. Sure football and men's basketball bring in billions of dollars, but those monies provide scholarship and sport opportunities for all the other women's and men's sports on campus.

As an alumni, I like the model where revenue ISU gets from the big 2 sports funds academic opportunities for volleyball, wrestling, soccer, track, etc. student athletes.

College football and basketball players are getting paid. They receive hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of sport training over their 4 years. They receive full scholarship, board and expense money. Depending on the school and if instate or out-of-state that is easily worth $150,000 to $300,000 over 4 years. Lastly, the most recent info I saw the value of a college degree vs high school diploma is over $1,000,000 over someone's lifetime.

Sounds to me college basketball and football players get A LOT. The NCAA has done a sucky job keeping academic integrity in FB & MBB. If I am university Presidents and NCAA I make no apologies for the current model.

I have no issue with image and likeness payments, but I would want coordination with IRS and very stiff penalties for corporations and athletes if abuse occurs.

If I am NCAA and Presidents, I would tell guys wanting pay to go pro or find opportunity elsewhere. I have no doubt some entrepreneurs would create a paid development for college age football players. I believe the NBA G-League is already headed in that direction.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If I am NCAA and Presidents, I would tell guys wanting pay to go pro or find opportunity elsewhere. I have no doubt some entrepreneurs would create a paid development for college age football players. I believe the NBA G-League is already headed in that direction.

And that's the real crux of the issue. We don't have much for numbers on the college football side because there is no g-league equivalent, but we do for basketball. A lot of g-league players are being compensated less than your average college basketball player, and 99% of college basketball players arent even good enough for the g-league.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
And that's the real crux of the issue. We don't have much for numbers on the college football side because there is no g-league equivalent, but we do for basketball. A lot of g-league players are being compensated less than your average college basketball player, and 99% of college basketball players arent even good enough for the g-league.
I think over time there will be 2 versions of the G-League. One that is a direct feeder to the NBA. The other comprised with players 1-3 years out of HS. The players in the second league are invited out of HS. They are assigned teams by the NBA and could make themselves eligible for the draft after each season. There may only be 8-10 of these teams.

I would have no issue if kids bomb in the 2nd version of the G-League that they could play college hoops on scholarship.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is the case with plenty of industries. The share of total revenue someone makes is irrelevant. 99% of the college athletics brand comes from the alumni base, not from the individual players.

And the total compensation can easily be worth 40-50,000 a year. Don't try to tell me they aren't well compensated.

I don't know what to tell you other than a P5 AD has stated that the primary reason for the potential closure is due to athletes amateur status and the possibility they organize. If you want to continue to think using masks earlier would have avoid this very obvious issue, that's up to you.

I'm still waiting on an explanation why pro leagues are back to playing but CFB isn't, other than pro vs. amateur.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Football doesn't have to do that. You can meet and practice outdoors and stagger the weight training when indoors.

Adventureland has snot nosed kids grabbing and licking and crowding. have you not been?
Agree. They've been doing small group workouts all summer with little to no problem. Have large group practices outside. Every indication is that virus spread outdoors is very minimal. It's been shown air travel can be done safely with strict mask wearing. Have players room in hotels with their typical college roommate. Wear masks in the locker room & meeting rooms. Test the whole team once or twice a week.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Please can we stop talking about soccer and baseball, we want to talk about sports? Might as well start reading books if I want to be put to sleep;)

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Agree. They've been doing small group workouts all summer with little to no problem. Have large group practices outside. Every indication is that virus spread outdoors is very minimal. It's been shown air travel can be done safely with strict mask wearing. Have players room in hotels with their typical college roommate. Wear masks in the locker room & meeting rooms. Test the whole team once or twice a week.

What if their normal roommate(s) isn't on the football team? What if the athlete lives with their gf/wife and has kids?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't know what to tell you other than a P5 AD has stated that the primary reason for the potential closure is due to athletes amateur status and the possibility they organize. If you want to continue to think using masks earlier would have avoid this very obvious issue, that's up to you.

I'm still waiting on an explanation why pro leagues are back to playing but CFB isn't, other than pro vs. amateur.

Just gave you one so I’m guess I’m waiting for you to learn to read.

• Haha
Reactions: IcSyUclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Is anyone serious about playing in Spring? It seems like little more than kicking the can down the road a little. Hard to imagine liability-minded people ever changing once they take a definitive action like "postponing" football in the Fall.
This is why I think the entire thing is so stupid. We can have students on campus, but we can't play football? Long term affects are in play regardless. Really dumb move to postpone.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Horse****

And let the racist killings go on and on for more decades? Good god no.

At some point, you need to understand "nuance."

Big difference from eating at a restaruant or going to church vs peaceful protests against policy brutality against black and brown folks.
Wait a second. I thought he was talking about the armed anti-mask and anti-lockdown protests. You know, the protests against the things that were successfully flattening the curve to give the medical field time to figure out how to deal with the coronavirus and reopen the economy safely. That could have given us a clearer path to whether or not we could safely play football where everyone understands the risks and how to minimize them.

Why drag BLM into a discussion about reopening football when it's a completely unrelated topic. State Public Health testing, tracking, and isolation protocols should have been sufficient to control any community spread from those protests.

Last edited: