The MAC cancels its fall football season

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
looks like the vast majority of guys want to play. same with sports all around. youth baseball has been running since the 1st of July and I haven't heard any concerns about travel from a large group of parents involved there. and everyone is getting ready for the youth FB season now as well. life will get back to normal even if the virus is still around, why delay it more..
While most young people with COVID-19 recover, they face stress, unknown long-term effects

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article244605117.html

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
who's to say the virus ever disappears?? then what do we do? do we just turn to living in bubbles for life then? who's to say they don't get the virus else where even without a season?

these are adults, 18+ you are an adult and free to make your own decisions... hell I signed at 17 for the Marines.. what age are we going to move adult hood to accept the responsibilities of adulthood now??

Oh, it was a real question. Ok, 6 months of this hasn't made a difference but what the hell I've been drinking and I'm bored.

They're not playing this season because of risk to the players, there is a risk but I have no doubt the season would go on if this were some magical virus that didn't spread to anyone over 22.

They aren't playing because it take hundreds of other people to make football games happen, support staff, facilities, coaches, etc. All of those people are potentially much older, most have families they go home to, most have older very high risk family members. Of course the guys who are low risk and are going to make millions on football want to play, I was selfish and dumb at that age too, but it's not about them this time.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
And then when the other conferences go?

If this is the start of the unraveling of the NCAA, it wasn't very sturdy to start and is just being exposed.
it's been exposed for years. just the legs are finally starting to get kicked out from underneath.. the huge difference in punishments, suspensions, waivers and the like should have been the push but this will be the shove maybe.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
looks like the vast majority of guys want to play. same with sports all around. youth baseball has been running since the 1st of July and I haven't heard any concerns about travel from a large group of parents involved there. and everyone is getting ready for the youth FB season now as well. life will get back to normal even if the virus is still around, why delay it more..
It sucks. There's no other way around it. You appear to still be in the early stages of dealing with the situation: denial, anger and bargaining. And that's fine. I hope you will eventually come around, but if you don't, so be it.

College football is a massive, massive industry. These universities know exactly what kind of impact not playing will have. These discussions and decisions are not being made lightly. You're naive if you think they're not considering every angle they can. I'm sure a player's willingness to participate is taken into consideration, but a college football game requires more than just 22 guys willing to play.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Oh, it was a real question. Ok, 6 months of this hasn't made a difference but what the hell I've been drinking and I'm bored.

They're not playing this season because of risk to the players, there is a risk but I have no doubt the season would go on if this were some magical virus that didn't spread to anyone over 22.

They aren't playing because it take hundreds of other people to make football games happen, support staff, facilities, coaches, etc. All of those people are potentially much older, most have families they go home to, most have older very high risk family members. Of course the guys who are low risk and are going to make millions on football want to play, I was selfish and dumb at that age too, but it's not about them this time.
the 1918 is a prime example... end of WW1 and a flu pandemic yet we still had college FB, we still played ball during H1N1, Ebola, Sars, etc...

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
the 1918 is a prime example... end of WW1 and a flu pandemic yet we still had college FB, we still played ball during H1N1, Ebola, Sars, etc...

I don't know that playing football during what ended up being a devastating pandemic is making the point you think it is.

• Agree
Reactions: CyArob

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa

as posted in the linked tweet the risk is still there no matter what for everyone even if they don't play ball. you can still pick it up from anywhere anyone even if they don't play... let me guess you would want to ban motorcycles because they have a huge increased risk of death due to what would be an other wise minor accident in a car??

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
as posted in the linked tweet the risk is still there no matter what for everyone even if they don't play ball. you can still pick it up from anywhere anyone even if they don't play... let me guess you would want to ban motorcycles because they have a huge increased risk of death due to what would be an other wise minor accident in a car??

Yeah, I have risk of getting shot everyday too, but obviously that risk goes up if I'm playing with a loaded gun. Not hard to understand that there are different levels of risk and exposure.

I don't know why you're talking about motorcycles, give me a few more drinks and I'll see if I can figure it out and get back to you.

• Agree
  • Dumb
Reactions: awd4cy and Rods79

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I don't know that playing football in what ended up being a devastating pandemic is making the point you think it is.
they point is the fame still went on even with out all the devastating pandemic and the effects from the war.. and we are much more capable medically wise then we were then..

L

LincolnWay187

I am fine with them cancelling fall football as long as they cancel in person classes. What is the point of cancelling football if these people are going to class anyway.

As for all the player demand stuff...I wish the power 5 would get together and get the NFL by the balls. If you want to draft our college athletes, you pay millions into this bucket. That bucket is spread out to pay athletes and insure them for a few years after they graduate without eliminating other sports. We need solutions.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Coronavirus is everywhere because people aren't taking it seriously.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Yeah, I have risk of getting shot everyday too, but obviously that risk goes up if I'm playing with a loaded gun. Not hard to understand that there are different levels of risk and exposure.

I don't know why you're talking about motorcycles, give me a few more drinks and I'll see if I can figure it out and get back to you.
there are risks everyday in life yet we still live, these guys and everyone around them want to play ball let them. in what way does it effect you.. thats what I am getting at if your so concerned about it stay home and live in a bubble, but others are ready to get on with life.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
they point is the fame still went on even with out all the devastating pandemic and the effects from the war.. and we are much more capable medically wise then we were then..

JFC dude. It’s not happening. Just accept it and move on. It’s a ******* GAME

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
there are risks everyday in life yet we still live, these guys and everyone around them want to play ball let them. in what way does it effect you.. thats what I am getting at if your so concerned about it stay home and live in a bubble, but others are ready to get on with life.

Getting on with life is easier when people stop spreading the virus.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Coronavirus is everywhere because people aren't taking it seriously.
and it's going to be everywhere going forward from now on too. it's a virus do you really thing it is just going to go away just because. it will always have a small foot hold somewhere at this point. stop living in complete fear over everything and live.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I am fine with them cancelling fall football as long as they cancel in person classes. What is the point of cancelling football if these people are going to class anyway.

As for all the player demand stuff...I wish the power 5 would get together and get the NFL by the balls. If you want to draft our college athletes, you pay millions into this bucket. That bucket is spread out to pay athletes and insure them for a few years after they graduate without eliminating other sports. We need solutions.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens as soon as the season is cancelled. You couldn't do it before cancelling football and not look like complete hypocrites.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
and it's going to be everywhere going forward from now on too. it's a virus do you really thing it is just going to go away just because. it will always have a small foot hold somewhere at this point. stop living in complete fear over everything and live.

It's going to be everywhere as long as people keep spreading it. Stop spreading it.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

People have been doing this for months and it's exactly why we can't have football now. Maybe people like you will figure it out before we lose spring football too. I'm not optimistic.

• Winner
  • Dumb
Reactions: awd4cy and Rods79

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
It's going to be everywhere as long as people keep spreading it. Stop spreading it.
who says I'm spreading it... I live in a county with less then 90 cases total. the surrounding counties are all less then 100 too and all of those are mainly long term care facilities, with maybe 1 or 2 current hospitalizations. except for work I barely have to go anywhere since the Fiancee works at walmart and does the shopping after her shift. coworkers wife even works at the local hospital and they are hardly concerned about it any more..