Big XII ADs Split on Schedule - Presidents Voting on Monday

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
I've been a Cyclone fan for over 50 years and I've always had hope going into a new football season. Some years hope may have been all we really had. In my experience, I've found that most Cyclones are capable of hoping for something and also being fully aware that it may not happen. Thank you for your concern, I guess.

Obviously we all own nut cups for a reason but let’s not pretend this is like anything else we’ve seen before. Sure, I always hope we’re gonna upset OU or not find a way to let KSU muck up the game. This isn’t that.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Guys, just face it. It’s not happening. And if it does it won’t resemble anything close to a “season” or it will get shut down anyway. Not that I know anything you all don’t, it just seems pretty obvious without a bubble scenario. The athletes will be attending class with the other however many thousand students who give no f***s and will be out partying, I don’t see how it doesn’t decimate rosters. Go ahead and give me the red X if you wish.

EDIT: I didn’t want to double down on my negativity as I would love nothing more than to have college athletics this season but I just saw my third ISU athlete in an enclosed public place with no mask.

It's MLB all over again. MLB has been a troublesome already, and these are professionals who can, at least in theory, either spend their life at the park or at home. These kids, not so much. Even if they are responsible socially, you have classes and other interactions with other kids.

I just think they either need to get "comfortable" with the idea that kids are going to get it and that won't shut down the season or not play. Anything other than those two are just wishful thinking.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
can someone explain why we keep slow playing this instead of just making a bold decision and dealing with it?

it's kind of like watching a couple that knows they're going to break up try and work it out. Just get it over with already.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
can someone explain why we keep slow playing this instead of just making a bold decision and dealing with it?

it's kind of like watching a couple that knows they're going to break up try and work it out. Just get it over with already.

Because AD's need the money so they are going to try their hardest to play

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Because AD's need the money so they are going to try their hardest to play

My guess is that they are somewhat committed to just taking it as it comes. Basically "we know kids will get it, we will figure it out from there." That would not be a very popular opinion to go public with, so they are just saying nothing.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's MLB all over again. MLB has been a troublesome already, and these are professionals who can, at least in theory, either spend their life at the park or at home. These kids, not so much. Even if they are responsible socially, you have classes and other interactions with other kids.

I just think they either need to get "comfortable" with the idea that kids are going to get it and that won't shut down the season or not play. Anything other than those two are just wishful thinking.

It’s so sad that this is where we are at. We blew it. Time to pay the price. This whole situation is like me hiding my report card from my parents that came out on Friday until Monday so I could party all weekend with no bothersome parents meddling in my affairs.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

For the second one, maybe the sex is phenomenal and neither wants to skip out on that.

Not sure your question on the first. You talking season, noncons, or what?

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Received an email about buying NCAA Final Four tickets.

How can anyone think about buying those tickets when we don't know the future of football.

I want decisions made.

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas
I've been a Cyclone fan for over 50 years and I've always had hope going into a new football season. Some years hope may have been all we really had. In my experience, I've found that most Cyclones are capable of hoping for something and also being fully aware that it may not happen. Thank you for your concern, I guess.
Obviously we all own nut cups for a reason but let’s not pretend this is like anything else we’ve seen before. Sure, I always hope we’re gonna upset OU or not find a way to let KSU muck up the game. This isn’t that.

Not pretending anything. Do you hope to go to any games this year?

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It’s so sad that this is where we are at. We blew it. Time to pay the price. This whole situation is like me hiding my report card from my parents that came out on Friday until Monday so I could party all weekend with no bothersome parents meddling in my affairs.

You're saying this from the stand point of someone who thinks this is a societal reward that our society doesn't deserve.

The people making the decision have bills to pay.

There will be college football games played this fall, because there are a lot of institutions that need that revenue.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You're saying this from the stand point of someone who thinks this is a societal reward that our society doesn't deserve.

The people making the decision have bills to pay.

There will be college football games played this fall, because there are a lot of institutions that need that revenue.

You might be right, but then they should just call it what it is.... putting $$$ ahead of kids’ health and safety.

Because JP gets really ticked off if you say that’s what they’re doing..... even if it’s exactly what they are doing.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You might be right, but then they should just call it what it is.... putting $$$ ahead of kids’ health and safety.

Because JP gets really ticked off if you say that’s what they’re doing..... even if it’s exactly what they are doing.

Playing football at all is putting money ahead of kids' health and safety. Whether we want to admit that or not, we're already there and have been for awhile.

JP definitely gets mad about that, but I don't know what else you could call it.

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012

Sometimes having a child can help a troubled relationship.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Not sure I see the advantage of cancelling non-conference games. I hear people say things about having confidence that all the Big 12 institutions will handle things according to the same high standards. However, I think there may be large discrepancies between institutions of the same conference. Frankly, I have little hope in Baylor handling anything according to high standards. And do we really think there is such a big drop-off in the way that non-Big 12 teams will handle testing? For instance, the University of Buffalo is a MAC school, but with an outstanding medical school.
The only advantage of canceling non-con games is that maybe it forces anti-maskers who love football to realize what their ignorance is costing them. Once they personally start losing stuff, they'll magically come around.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I think the lesson from baseball is it is impossible to avoid Covid outbreaks within a team. What is critical is to avoid what happened to Florida Marlins.

I don't think a 12 game schedule is doable as it seems like off weeks are necessary.

IMO the key for Big12 is every team start same week and have same bye weeks. That way if ISU vs. XYZ game gets postponed because of outbreak, then both teams have same open date later in season.

The big question to me is does:
  • The conference try to start week 0 and grind through a 10 game schedule with a bye week around week 5 or 6.
  • Or do they play 4 games, bye week, play 3 games, bye week, play 3 games.
  • Or do they build in extra bye weeks. But if teams are healthy to play during the scheduled bye week, play the game because the virus might become more prevelent in November.
I would think building flexibility is key in scheduling. With baseball I think some teams have played 10 games and those impacted by Covid only 3.
It's not impossible. Both the NBA and NHL are doing it. The bubble just isn't a model that can be used by the ncaa without acknowledging that players are not student athletes. Quarantine players and they lose their arguments against paying them.

People are kidding themselves thinking that we will get ncaa football. Once students hit campus, the results are inevitable.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The only advantage of canceling non-con games is that maybe it forces anti-maskers who love football to realize what their ignorance is costing them. Once they personally start losing stuff, they'll magically come around.

Disagree. If you stick to conference games you’ve got a pool of 10 teams interacting with each other. If you play non-con, you’re inviting another 30 teams to interact with across the league right at the beginning of the season.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

What is football for $100, Alex.

Reactions: Doc

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Disagree. If you stick to conference games you’ve got a pool of 10 teams interacting with each other. If you play non-con, you’re inviting another 30 teams to interact with across the league right at the beginning of the season.

I don't disagree, but half of the league of from TX and FL, two hard hit areas.

The comingling has already happened.

On a related note, has the infection rate gone down since a few weeks ago when it was really bad?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron