Dowling and Valley recruiting players From all over

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The rich get richer, but I don't really have a problem with this.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Yawn.

my kids go to vhs but the vilification of dowling is stupid.

when a school that recruits plays schools that can’t recruit. It’s a legit uneven playing field. It’s fine if they recruit, however play other teams across the country that recruit also. Like the prep schools

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Won't go down the religious rabbit hole, but quick glance at DCHS website shows tuition at ~$9K-12K per year. I'd prefer to save that money for a good college.

That’s not that much, the way another post sounded I thought it was going to be like 25k.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Dowling has to recruit every single student. Not just athletes. It isn't cheap to send a kid there, believe me, I know.
Not enough kids in the Des Moines area or golden circle so they are now recruiting students out of state. Yeah, not buying the company line.

Last edited:

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
when a school that recruits plays schools that can’t recruit. It’s a legit uneven playing field. It’s fine if they recruit, however play other teams across the country that recruit also. Like the prep schools

lol at an even playing field in high school sports.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reactions: clonechemist

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
lol at an even playing field in high school sports.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Exactly, it's like we haven't noticed what's happening with the city schools and the burbs.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Iowa State has a football commit that attends a catholic secondary school in Chicago.

Wonder if he’s on their radar?

(Halfway joking).

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Isn't the kid that we're talking about a long snapper? Not a whole lot to get bent out of shape about.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
There will be lots of IL kids coming to Iowa next school year. With IL going online and no activities parents are looking. I had someone text me the other day asking about Johnston and Grimes.

Unless they are moving to Iowa I don't see how these kids could possibly be allowed to enroll in a public school. Public schools are funded by tax payer dollars whereas you are paying your own way to go to a private school like Dowling so I would think that the private schools in Iowa would be their only options? Not sure what the open enrollment rules are in Iowa but wouldn't being a resident of Iowa be one of the criteria?

Here is what I found: https://educateiowa.gov/sites/files/ed/documents/Open enrollment handbook 19.20.pdf

The eligibility rules seem to imply you have to apply by March 1st although they do list a scenario of after March 1st "wtih good cause." Its a 50 page doc so not sure if they address out of state enrollment in it. Also found this under the athletic eligibility section: "Students who open enroll in grades 9 through 12 shall not be eligible to participate in varsity contests and competitions during the first 90 school days of transfer." By those rules if someone enrolled by Aug 1 they wouldn't be eligible until November. I'm sure there are some appeals and exceptions somewhere in that document too.

It would be nice for the Iowa Department of Education and the Athletic associations come out and oppose out of state transfers. I'm sorry but I just don't think this is a legit reason for kids to cross state lines just to play sports. Our schools are already burdened enough by the pandemic trying to make in person learning work and they don't need things complicated more by an influx of out of state parents with a last minute enrollment request just so their kids can play fall sports.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Unless they are moving to Iowa I don't see how these kids could possibly be allowed to enroll in a public school. Public schools are funded by tax payer dollars whereas you are paying your own way to go to a private school like Dowling so I would think that the private schools in Iowa would be their only options? Not sure what the open enrollment rules are in Iowa but wouldn't being a resident of Iowa be one of the criteria?

Here is what I found: https://educateiowa.gov/sites/files/ed/documents/Open enrollment handbook 19.20.pdf

The eligibility rules seem to imply you have to apply by March 1st although they do list a scenario of after March 1st "wtih good cause." Its a 50 page doc so not sure if they address out of state enrollment in it. Also found this under the athletic eligibility section: "Students who open enroll in grades 9 through 12 shall not be eligible to participate in varsity contests and competitions during the first 90 school days of transfer." By those rules if someone enrolled by Aug 1 they wouldn't be eligible until November. I'm sure there are some appeals and exceptions somewhere in that document too.

It would be nice for the Iowa Department of Education and the Athletic associations come out and oppose out of state transfers. I'm sorry but I just don't think this is a legit reason for kids to cross state lines just to play sports. Our schools are already burdened enough by the pandemic trying to make in person learning work and they don't need things complicated more by an influx of out of state parents with a last minute enrollment request just so their kids can play fall sports.

Guessing he is moving to iowa if he is playing football. That would be one nasty drive each day otherwise.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
That’s not that much, the way another post sounded I thought it was going to be like 25k.
Nazareth is 15k/year. I went to Catholic high school and my children will go to Catholic/Private high schools.

It's not a matter of being above everyone or what not, it is really important for children to surround themselves with other highly motivated kids. My high school was full of self-starters and kids with high aspirations. My 3 best friends from high school are a neurosurgeon resident, a lawyer and a English professor.

And until college, the quality of education is vastly different. Yes, Valley and Waukee are good schools, but when you go to farm territory or inner city, the quality drops off drastically.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Guessing he is moving to iowa if he is playing football. That would be one nasty drive each day otherwise.

Is he really "moving" though or is mom and dad just renting an apartment or condo for the school year? Think about it for a minute, would you seriously uproot your family and job just to move them to another state for your kid to play a season of HS football? It's all just window dressing on the surface with this situation, I'm sure they are not actually moving to Iowa...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Won't go down the religious rabbit hole, but quick glance at DCHS website shows tuition at ~$9K-12K per year. I'd prefer to save that money for a good college.

Ones I know are in that 3-4k/year. I guess I know parents that spend that amount (starting in 3rd grade) on AAU sports and camps for their kids (not including any family travel that might be with tournaments) hoping they get a college scholarship. My thoughts are if that school can elevate them to get into the college they want, get them prepared to do well, and get them some scholarships; it isn't much different than those spending large amounts on athletic things.

Reactions: cyfan21

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Is he really "moving" though or is mom and dad just renting an apartment or condo for the school year? Think about it for a minute, would you seriously uproot your family and job just to move them to another state for your kid to play a season of HS football? It's all just window dressing on the surface with this situation, I'm sure they are not actually moving to Iowa...

If they rent and move their residence, it still counts.

My folks did that (although it wasn't very far) my senior year so I could go to a different school. That was in 1989.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Nazareth is 15k/year. I went to Catholic high school and my children will go to Catholic/Private high schools.

It's not a matter of being above everyone or what not, it is really important for children to surround themselves with other highly motivated kids. My high school was full of self-starters and kids with high aspirations. My 3 best friends from high school are a neurosurgeon resident, a lawyer and a English professor.

And until college, the quality of education is vastly different. Yes, Valley and Waukee are good schools, but when you go to farm territory or inner city, the quality drops off dramatically.

I'm guessing that Dowling and other private schools probably will be footing some kind of scholarship for these kids if they will benefit their athletics. Here is DM Christian rates: https://www.dmcs.org/filesimages/pdfs/Admissions/20-21TuitionFeeScheduleweb-.pdf HS is 10k and that is not including all the other fees listed. Dowling: https://www.dowlingcatholic.org/admissions/tuition--tuition-assistance nearly 12k plus fees if you are a non-parish participant.

Even putting the financial aide and athletics part of this conversation aside just how many here could afford 10k + to send your kid to a private school? I sure can't and that is where we start to get into the socioeconomics of this issue too is how much financial aide is a school like Dowling willing to give to out of state students just to improve their FB team? Even with partial to no financial assistance a family from IL wanting to enroll their kid at Dowling between tuition and the cost of living to have them live in the DM metro area is not cheap. Even if 1 parent were to live with them a decent apartment it probably is going to run you close to $1000 a month depending on your standards of living on top of utilities and other living expenses. Is it really worth the expense just to have your kid play FB this fall?

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
We're paying for private elementary school. Intending public middle & high school.

It wasn't about religion for us. In our community, it was a way to secure smaller class sizes. My son's early elementary grade has 10 students with a full time teacher & full time aid. He made huge social strides this year. A lot is due to his own maturation, but I'm sure some is due to that more individualized focus. He was pretty high risk of getting lost in the shuffle of a 25+ student class.

I never thought I'd pay for private. It still annoys me sometimes. But we had some things to work through with our first kid, and I think the resulting environment from that choice was huge.

Anyway, Dowling can do what they want. I still think doing sports is ridiculous if too many Grandma's are going to die from doing full time, in person school.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I'm guessing that Dowling and other private schools probably will be footing some kind of scholarship for these kids if they will benefit their athletics. Here is DM Christian rates: https://www.dmcs.org/filesimages/pdfs/Admissions/20-21TuitionFeeScheduleweb-.pdf HS is 10k and that is not including all the other fees listed. Dowling: https://www.dowlingcatholic.org/admissions/tuition--tuition-assistance nearly 12k plus fees if you are a non-parish participant.

Even putting the financial aide and athletics part of this conversation aside just how many here could afford 10k + to send your kid to a private school? I sure can't and that is where we start to get into the socioeconomics of this issue too is how much financial aide is a school like Dowling willing to give to out of state students just to improve their FB team? Even with partial to no financial assistance a family from IL wanting to enroll their kid at Dowling between tuition and the cost of living to have them live in the DM metro area is not cheap. Even if 1 parent were to live with them a decent apartment it probably is going to run you close to $1000 a month depending on your standards of living on top of utilities and other living expenses. Is it really worth the expense just to have your kid play FB this fall?
Yes. They were paying for school in Illinois anyway. It's worth it.
Not everyone that goes to Catholic/private school is rich. Every family has to make sacrifices.
We had multiple families where I went with 8 or 9 kids in the family. That's half a million dollars for high school. All the kids turned out just fine.
Most families chose the sacrifice for private school first before they chose football. We only had three kids where I went that were recruited to play, but they had to pay for the school anyway.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Honest question, is he catholic? If so, a transfer within churches would reduce the rate it sounds. I didn't click on the link, so I don't know if it states what that rate is.