Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If Hinson and Harris don't get waivers, 9th in the Big 12 could be a devastating possibility. Personally I think we'd get 7th, but who knows what these freshman are going to bring to the table nor how good Johnson and JCL are going to play.

FWIW the writer also expects Tre to start at SG, Young at PF Conditt at C with Javian off the bench. I don't think anyone who follows the team closely think that is a likely lineup thus I am not going to take this article very seriously. That is assuming neither Harris or Hinson get a waiver.

If neither get waivers a ninth place finish could happen but I don't think it'll be "devastating". It will allow for the young players to develop faster and get some momentum to next year with the added optimism of adding Harris/Hinson.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
FWIW the writer also expects Tre to start at SG, Young at PF Conditt at C with Javian off the bench. I don't think anyone who follows the team closely think that is a likely lineup thus I am not going to take this article very seriously. That is assuming neither Harris or Hinson get a waiver.

If neither get waivers a ninth place finish could happen but I don't think it'll be "devastating". It will allow for the young players to develop faster and get some momentum to next year with the added optimism of adding Harris/Hinson.
I'm not saying devastating to the program, I was meaning devastating as another poor year. We'd bring everyone back besides JCL and Solomon.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
If Hinson and Harris don't get waivers, 9th in the Big 12 could be a devastating possibility. Personally I think we'd get 7th, but who knows what these freshman are going to bring to the table nor how good Johnson and JCL are going to play.

7th with Harris and Hinson not getting waivers?

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
I'm not saying devastating to the program, I was meaning devastating as another poor year. We'd bring everyone back besides JCL and Solomon.

It seems like ISU has at least one transfer per year, which isn't uncommon at all. I think there would be more lost besides the 2 you mentioned.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020

Who is Javian?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It seems like ISU has at least one transfer per year, which isn't uncommon at all. I think there would be more lost besides the 2 you mentioned.
For sure. Never know what's going to happen. I was saying in a perfect world, everyone would be back.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
Javan Johnson transfer from Troy... and yes I realize your just trolling but if Hinson/Harris don't have thier waivers granted hell be in the starting lineup at either G/F.

Not trolling, I just thought it was ironic you were discrediting Rothstein for his lack of familiarity with the roster and then you misspell the name of one of the guys you think will start.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Not trolling, I just thought it was ironic you were discrediting Rothstein for his lack of familiarity with the roster and then you misspell the name of one of the guys you think will start.

Sorry I accidentally added an "i" in a first name in my reply, Rothstein left out a starter in his roster analysis.
Which is more important in next years team rank prediction?

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
Sorry I accidentally added an "i" in a first name in my reply, Rothstein left out a starter in his roster analysis.
Which is more important in next years team rank prediction?

Both of your credibility took a hit.

What is your predicted Big 12 finish for ISU? 8 or 9 seems most likely to me.

I don't think waivers being approved will move ISU up from 8th.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If you would've asked me a month ago whether Garza was leaving, I would've said 95% he stays. Now, I think it's probably an 80% chance he leaves. I personally think there will be college basketball played this year, but Luka is likely not going to take that risk.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If you would've asked me a month ago whether Garza was leaving, I would've said 95% he stays. Now, I think it's probably an 80% chance he leaves. I personally think there will be college basketball played this year, but Luka is likely not going to take that risk.

He has little stock but it can't get any higher so I think he might leave

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Would be a real shame if Fran lucked* into recruiting a legitimate NPOY, and he never plays in the NCAA Tournament.

*I don't think anyone envisioned Garza becoming the caliber of player he is

EDIT: I realize now he played in the 2018 tournament. My apologies, but the point mostly stands.

Last edited:

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

This is such an underrated part of the whole Luka saga. As a first generation American on his mother’s side he isn’t counted against the American player cap in Eurobasket. So he will get tremendous offers from the highest level European teams. Guys who fit that category are really valuable.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Would be a real shame if Fran lucked* into recruiting a legitimate NPOY, and he never plays in the NCAA Tournament.

*I don't think anyone envisioned Garza becoming the caliber of player he is
Garza played in it his sophomore year but yes, it would certainly be incredibly unlucky that he didn't get a shot to play in the tournament the two years he was playing at his highest level. If Iowa would've made a little run on the back of Luka last year, that would've helped his exposure too.

Help Support Us

Become a patron