If you had to pick up and move where would you go?

Where would you move?

• Northeast

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Mid-Atlantic

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Southeast

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Midwest

Votes: 36 14.7%
  • Rocky Mountains

Votes: 91 37.1%
  • Texas

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Southwest

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Pacific Northwest

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Nor-Cal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • So-Cal

Votes: 13 5.3%

• Total voters

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I can’t see myself leaving the Driftless Area, but I could switch towns. La Crosse is a pretty awesome mix of big enough to have stuff without much urban sprawl.

If I had to leave this area, I could dig NW Arkansas, the Texas Hill Country, central Colorado (not the Front Range save Ft Collins), the Morgantown area. Places that are rugged, not excessively hip (but still have decent cultural offerings) and overrun, and within a days drive of Iowa.

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Santa Fe/Taos area of New Mexico

But I also like the other mentions of Boise, Idaho and Bend, Oregon.

Reactions: Cutlass

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I love winter. I'm in the minority I realize. But I love snow and I love mountains. But I also love the water. Doesn't have to be an ocean, but a big lake and four seasons is my wish.

Lake Tahoe is a place I want to have a second home or would look to move if the need arises and I could afford it.

Reactions: Angie

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
You might get a lot of crap for it on this board because the demographics skew towards midwest and more rural for obvious reasons. But I completely agree. Something about NYC is enticing. Don't know if I would want to do it because of the costs but everything else about it I could do no problem.

I don't know why, but it felt like home. Like this was where I was meant to live and this was something that was missing in my life. Maybe I lived there in a past life. We lived in upstate New York on the shores of Lake Champlain in the valley between the White and Green mountains when I was just a kid (we left when I was in the fifth grade), but we never had the resources to visit New York City, so it was the first time I'd been there ... in this life. ;)

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
PNW. Specifically, somewhere around Sedro-Wooley, Washington. Close to mountains, the San Juan Islands, Canada & Seattle. Not too cold, not too hot. Beautifully green.

Reactions: Angie

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
You all can stay away from Oregon and erase it from your list.

Weather sucks. People suck. Traffic sucks. Live music scene sucks. Restaurants and food carts suck. World class craft beer and hundreds of breweries suck. Willamette Valley wines and wineries suck. Legal weed sucks (if you're into that). Beautiful coast line sucks. Gorgeous mountain ranges suck. Fishing, camping and outdoor life sucks.

I could go on. Just look somewhere else.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Gjoa Haven, King William Island, Nunavut. Start a whaling business with my kitikmeot friends

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Really depends on the situation.

Is money no object?
How old are you? Still work?
Family not a concern?

The people of Iowa. The weather of San Diego. The airport access and public transit of a large city. The taxes of Montana. The housing prices of WV. The crime rate of Maine.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
If it weren't the midwest I'd be for this. Somewhere in the Coastal Range of Oregon.

Oooh, and Montana.

So there are other places I'd go. They would all still include low populations though, haha.

Oregon is my jam - PDX area, specifically. I enjoy Seattle, but it's far more overpriced (last time I checked CoL calculators, anyway, and as a visitor). It's so beautiful!

PnW is absolutely beautiful - on a good day. I lived in Seattle for 4 years, but had a really tough time in the winters there. The closest analogy I have is think of is an overcast November day in Iowa, then have that be the default weather from Halloween until the 4th of July. I’m not kidding.

Also, the ocean is nearby, but... it’s not really set up for a prototypical beach day. The water is freezing cold to the point where I’m not sure you want to go in without a wetsuit.

The mountains are absolutely perfect, though!

I think you have to definitely not be a person who has seasonal affective disorder or anything! We've visited Seattle in May, and Portland multiple times (only in winter) - I love that it's not 100 degrees below, but gets rain and a bit of snow. I don't mind the weather at all, but it likely would be hard to plan events that are entirely outdoors!

Good call. Oregon would be at the top of my list, followed by Montana.

For sure Oregon here. I've never been to Montana, but it looks like I would love it. I like the PacNW's moderate temperatures that still have lots of green. I do love city life, have always wanted to live in NYC for a few years - the NW has some good-sized cities that give you big-city amenities with easy access to a gorgeous coast, mountains, waterfalls, etc. I mean, if it was good enough for the Goonies...

I’m not a lay out on the beach kind of guy I was thinking more along the lines of fishing. I spent a little time looking at houses in Portland this afternoon on Zillow.

We've looked quite a bit at housing in PDX over the past couple of years - it's not terrible at all, price-wise. There are definitely some schools that are preferable to others, but the CoL isn't much different from here. And so many tech opportunities.

Got two sisters in PDX, both Clones. Not a question of if or where, but when for me.

Same. PDX is my happy place. Great music, sports, food and bar/brewery scene, lots of variety. I know it's considered hipster, but I think more they just embrace their weirdness and offbeat interests.

You all can stay away from Oregon and erase it from your list.

Weather sucks. People suck. Traffic sucks. Live music scene sucks. Restaurants and food carts suck. World class craft beer and hundreds of breweries suck. Willamette Valley wines and wineries suck. Legal weed sucks (if you're into that). Beautiful coast line sucks. Gorgeous mountain ranges suck. Fishing, camping and outdoor life sucks.

I could go on. Just look somewhere else.

I'm so jealous! There really is everything there. We've discussed moving out to PDX several times, as we just love it (and have only been in winter, not even when it's nice out or anything). The whole thing just is my sweet spot!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
PnW is absolutely beautiful - on a good day. I lived in Seattle for 4 years, but had a really tough time in the winters there. The closest analogy I have is think of is an overcast November day in Iowa, then have that be the default weather from Halloween until the 4th of July. I’m not kidding.

Also, the ocean is nearby, but... it’s not really set up for a prototypical beach day. The water is freezing cold to the point where I’m not sure you want to go in without a wetsuit.

The mountains are absolutely perfect, though!

That's my jam for a beach. Huge rocks, clear cold water and hardly any crowds with miles of sand to walk.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Oregon is my jam - PDX area, specifically. I enjoy Seattle, but it's far more overpriced (last time I checked CoL calculators, anyway, and as a visitor). It's so beautiful!

I think you have to definitely not be a person who has seasonal affective disorder or anything! We've visited Seattle in May, and Portland multiple times (only in winter) - I love that it's not 100 degrees below, but gets rain and a bit of snow. I don't mind the weather at all, but it likely would be hard to plan events that are entirely outdoors!

For sure Oregon here. I've never been to Montana, but it looks like I would love it. I like the PacNW's moderate temperatures that still have lots of green. I do love city life, have always wanted to live in NYC for a few years - the NW has some good-sized cities that give you big-city amenities with easy access to a gorgeous coast, mountains, waterfalls, etc. I mean, if it was good enough for the Goonies...

I've yet to go to Seattle but it sounds way busier than Portland with a much bigger sprawl around it. Portland's pretty easy to get around and imo very easy to get out of.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Not in US: South Island of New Zealand.

In US: Split time between a remote acreage, preferably on a lake - or at least has a decent sized pond - in South Dakota May-Sept. And the rest a beachfront home in Hawaii. So some very remote solitude - and some "other people" time where it's warm

Reactions: 4theCYcle