"Playing for Iowa Football was a living nightmare"

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Let's hope it gets some coverage in national media. Outrageous behavior. Hoks gonna hok.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm by no means an Iowa apologist, but aside from BF being a loud, angry douche, which is a widely known fact, and Doyle saying things today that he was able to get away with 20 years ago, I don't see what is so bad about things that have been happening at Iowa. Sounds like a handful of players just have sour grapes and issues with authority. A lot of what came out in player testimonies against Doyle sounded like the athletes just had issues with team code of conduct... something every school has.

Doyle has been dealt with accordingly, because even though I agree with him holding players to a certain standard, he crossed the line in how it was handled. I don't agree that Kirk and especially Brian should escape unscathed, but also don't think what they've done warrants job termination. Kirk pleading the 5th is some real absolute ******** though.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
This is a tough situation. Putting people on blast on Twitter or social media is becoming very common and something businesses and individuals have to deal with in our society.

On one hand, I doubt Akrum is lying. It is very clear though, he does not like the Iowa coaching staff.

There's so many missing details its impossible for anyone on the outside to make any accurate or appropriate judgement on these types of accusations.

In that respect, its so hard to immediately condemn or defend the Iowa coaching staff.

What do we do with these accusations? Is it a fire able offense? Do we have any proof? Do we need proof?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm by no means an Iowa apologist, but aside from BF being a loud, angry douche, which is a widely known fact, and Doyle saying things today that he was able to get away with 20 years ago, I don't see what is so bad about things that have been happening at Iowa. Sounds like a handful of players just have sour grapes and issues with authority. A lot of what came out in player testimonies against Doyle sounded like the athletes just had issues with team code of conduct... something every school has.

Doyle has been dealt with accordingly, because even though I agree with him holding players to a certain standard, he crossed the line in how it was handled. I don't agree that Kirk and especially Brian should escape unscathed, but also don't think what they've done warrants job termination. Kirk pleading the 5th is some real absolute ******** though.
65+ players have now come out against a variety of coaches, including Kirk. Some of those players are in the NFL and are widely respected. These are not all players that have personal vendettas with Kirk.

Reactions: heitclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't see how either Ferentz keeps his job after all of this. Buh-bye!
If Iowa had a competent athletic administration, they'd 100% be gone. There's probably a good chance Brian is let go, but I still have doubts Kirk will be fired. However, Kirk desperately wanted for Brian to take over and if Brian is let go, I could see Kirk stepping down after next year.

Reactions: aauummm

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
65+ players have now come out against a variety of coaches, including Kirk. Some of those players are in the NFL and are widely respected. These are not all players that have personal vendettas with Kirk.
Understood. I wasn't aware the number had gotten that high. Still, when I heard the initial testimonies and some of those players mentioning that they got yelled at for not lacing their shoes correctly I had to roll my eyes. The coaches should have every right to yell at a player to tie their shoes. They are responsible for preventing careless injuries.

Again, not trying to play devil's advocate, just trying to be subjective. I did find a lot of what Doyle said to be offensive, and I read all of Wadleys recent testimony and while I think some of it is sour grapes (he could've transferred at any time and didn't) I also think he was treated like ****

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Said it in the mega thread, but the fatal problem here isn't the sometimes racially insensitive remark, or that some players were held to different standards likely due to race. Those are serious problems (not to mention reprehensible) but not coach/program killers.

The fatal problem is that the boss (ie Kirk) heard about the problems and did nothing - he tolerated and implicitly supported a hostile work environment. At any other company, he would be terminated for cause immediately. That's what he should be fired for.

It is absolutely insane that Iowa is supporting KF. But then, they still pay Barta despite the fact that he committed multiple transgressions himself, even to the point of costing his employer millions of dollars. So I guess insanity reigns there, or at least in the athletic department.

Where are the students? Protesting authority, demanding change and justice? If the same events happened in say, the Tippie school of business there, they'd be sitting in and shouting from the rooftops until heads rolled.

Unless the national media latches onto this and pounds the entire university into the ground for weeks, there is no way Kirk will be fired.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Understood. I wasn't aware the number had gotten that high. Still, when I heard the initial testimonies and some of those players mentioning that they got yelled at for not lacing their shoes correctly I had to roll my eyes. The coaches should have every right to yell at a player to tie their shoes. They are responsible for preventing careless injuries.

Again, not trying to play devil's advocate, just trying to be subjective. I did find a lot of what Doyle said to be offensive, and I read all of Wadleys recent testimony and while I think some of it is sour grapes (he could've transferred at any time and didn't) I also think he was treated like ****
Don't get me wrong, there were some allegations that did not seem to be that big, however those small ones were in the minority. Most of the allegations were very very bad though.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If Iowa had a competent athletic administration, they'd 100% be gone. There's probably a good chance Brian is let go, but I still have doubts Kirk will be fired. However, Kirk desperately wanted for Brian to take over and if Brian is let go, I could see Kirk stepping down after next year.

Most Iowa fans in our office think that BF would be gone with Doyle if his last name wasn't Ferentz. But that Kirk won't allow BF to take the fall, period.

They think the master plan from Iowa is that Ferentzs stay thru this year, then Kirk "retires" and BF moves on somewhere else. Not sure if that's true or just wishful thinking on their part.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Understood. I wasn't aware the number had gotten that high. Still, when I heard the initial testimonies and some of those players mentioning that they got yelled at for not lacing their shoes correctly I had to roll my eyes. The coaches should have every right to yell at a player to tie their shoes.

They were saying black players would get yelled at for not doing things a certain way while white players didn't get yelled at for doing it

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Said it in the mega thread, but the fatal problem here isn't the sometimes racially insensitive remark, or that some players were held to different standards likely due to race. Those are serious problems (not to mention reprehensible) but not coach/program killers.

The fatal problem is that the boss (ie Kirk) heard about the problems and did nothing - he tolerated and implicitly supported a hostile work environment. At any other company, he would be terminated for cause immediately. That's what he should be fired for.

It is absolutely insane that Iowa is supporting KF. But then, they still pay Barta despite the fact that he committed multiple transgressions himself, even to the point of costing his employer millions of dollars. So I guess insanity reigns there, or at least in the athletic department.

Where are the students? Protesting authority, demanding change and justice? If the same events happened in say, the Tippie school of business there, they'd be sitting in and shouting from the rooftops until heads rolled.

Unless the national media latches onto this and pounds the entire university into the ground for weeks, there is no way Kirk will be fired.
To be fair, students / residents of Iowa City did vandalize Kinnick after the initial allegations came forward. After that, the local media essentially has been trying to downplay the entire issue, besides Rob Howe of course who has been literally the only reporter who has tried to hold the program / university accountable.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

He showed he didn’t care when asked about the accusations he said he hadn’t paid attention to them. How do you sort through and make corrections when you don’t listen to what people say are problems?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

If you think the Doyle stuff is just “code of conduct” issues or issues with authority then you need to take a long look at yourself.