Oregon and Oregon State agree to remove 'Civil War' moniker from rivalry across all sports

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Don’t care either way. “Civil War” isn’t unique or proprietary to the US Civil War. And the north won so Non secessionist states can use it if they want to freely.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Don’t care either way. “Civil War” isn’t unique or proprietary to the US Civil War. And the north won so Non secessionist states can use it if they want to freely.
That's what I was thinking too. I think because of the current conversation, that name is being looked at a little bit too literally. It really doesn't matter to me because I have no dog in that fight, but I'm kind of scratching my head.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Just call it the Battle for the Platypus and move on. That was always way cooler than “civil war” anyway

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The list of civil wars on Wikipedia is like a few hundred long...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civil_wars

"A civil war, also known as an intrastate war in polemology,[1] is a war between organized groups within the same state or country."

If people want to have a discussion about statues of Bobby Lee or campus buildings named after dead racists, then fine, we can do this.

But this is preposterous. We cannot even mention the generic term for the American Civil War -- the historical event that ended slavery once and for all?

Heck, the Canadians even had a civil war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian_Civil_War

Who are we protecting here? What are we gaining? What falsely idolized rebel or traitor are we somehow removing from a place of honor?

We say we want to learn from the mistakes of the past but how the heck are we going to do that if we cannot tolerate even anodyne references to it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The list of civil wars on Wikipedia is like a few hundred long...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civil_wars

"A civil war, also known as an intrastate war in polemology,[1] is a war between organized groups within the same state or country."

If people want to have a discussion about statues of Bobby Lee or campus buildings named after dead racists, then fine, we can do this.

But this is preposterous. We cannot even mention the generic term for the American Civil War -- the historical event that ended slavery once and for all?

Heck, the Canadians even had a civil war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian_Civil_War

Who are we protecting here? What are we gaining? What falsely idolized rebel or traitor are we somehow removing from a place of honor?

We say we want to learn from the mistakes of the past but how the heck are we going to do that if we cannot tolerate even anodyne references to it.

It’s their game, it’s their choice.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Oregon is my second favorite team. It stinks that they have to change the name, but I figured it would come sooner or later with the state that harbors Portland.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I can count on no hands the number of times I've sought out the UO-OSU game. People still call UT OU the Red River Shootout, you'll be fine

Reactions: abd4cy

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
Its like when they changed the Red River Shootout to the Red River Showdown. People will still call it the Civil War for years to come, but it wont be written down anywhere.

Edit: Bader beat me to it by seconds.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It appears that we, as a society, are doing about a thousand little things that have no bearing on anything, while allowing our leaders to do absolutely nothing that makes a difference.

You know me and you are aligned on this, Pride.

Stuff... governing, budgeting, policymaking... is hard and mindbogglingly boring.

There plenty of things we could talk about to make policing better or simply reducing its role in our society. But, nah, I can already hear their eyes glazing over. You all complain about post with more than 200 words from me.

Being angry on social media, though? That is easy. And fun!

What a crazy ******* world we live in that the libertarians are the ones a million times more serious about policy and governing than that self-declared mainstream.