Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You seem to be insinuating that Iowa doesn’t care about making any changes for its athletes and this is all lip service. I find that incredibly cynical and unlikely to be true.
I find it incredibly unlikely that you aren't aware of Jane Meyer.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
I find it incredibly unlikely that you aren't aware of Jane Meyer.

I know she successfully sued Iowa for employment discrimination. I remember she was re-assigned to a different role in the athletic department, but don’t remember why. I remember Iowa reporters universally saying she was incredibly unpleasant to work with. That’s about the extent of my recollection.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
My guess is he got 15 months of pay and benefits for the settlement. The benefits are clearly spelled out at 15 months and the pay is real close using his salary of $896,000. That base pay over 15 months is $1,120,000.00.

His contract requires that he gets a 15 month notice if it is going to be voided, as explained by Iowa having to void his contract by 4/1/20 for the fiscal year that begins on 7/1/21.

So why didn't U of I void his contract before 4/1? Oh, duh...it's because none of this had been brought to light yet and they didn't need to do the right thing at that time.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
You seem to be insinuating that Iowa doesn’t care about making any changes for its athletes and this is all lip service. I find that incredibly cynical and unlikely to be true.

If they cared why wouldn't they dig their heels into the ground and fire Doyle with cause? Even if Doyle could come back at the university with more information on other coaches, wouldn't the university welcome it if the actually WANTED change?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
If they cared why wouldn't they dig their heels into the ground and fire Doyle with cause? Even if Doyle could come back at the university with more information on other coaches, wouldn't the university welcome it if the actually WANTED change?

Because the cost of a lawsuit and all the negative publicity it would engender far exceeds $1.1m. They can achieve the changes that are in the best interests of the athletes and the University without burning everything to the ground.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Because the cost of a lawsuit and all the negative publicity it would engender far exceeds $1.1m.

But you said they "care" about the program and doing the right thing. Shouldn't that come before whatever costs come their way?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Doyle was not going to go lightly.. He was going to sue for wrongful termination and in doing so would've had to prove that he was not at fault. He could've ended up throwing everyone under the bus, it could've gotten very dirty, and Iowa might've had to pay him a lot more than just 1.1 million.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
But you said they "care" about the program and doing the right thing. Shouldn't that come before whatever costs come their way?

Edited the original post to add that they can implement the changes that are in the best interests of the athletes and the University without burning everything to the ground.

I think it’s pretty unlikely that after what has transpired over the last couple weeks (a) Ferentz would be okay with merely paying lip service to the players’ complaints, and (b) that he would be able to get away with doing so.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You have a tendency to mark my posts as funny when I comment about KF's role in the Everson/Satterfield case, but never actually respond. I'm curious what your thoughts are on what Kirk did in that case.
He's done that for years under countless names.
Ex:
I think Benji hit funny on this post before you even clicked post reply.
Online until midnight, hit the funny button like crazy, and concerned about Cat.

How ya been Alt, Benji, Darling?

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020

I said I didn’t remember all the details of the incident. As you can see from my post, I can recall the result of the lawsuit, and two minor details related thereto. No reason to be a d*** about it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Someone expanded on that and said even though his contract was going to expire on July 1, his contract had to be voided by April 1, so they couldn't have voided it.

From Iowa's perspective, this was the best way to avoid a lot of legal trouble, save money, and avoid further information coming to the surface that could put other people's careers in jeopardy.
1 year salary is less than 1.1 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.