MLB: ***Official 2019-20 Cubs Offseason***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Bleacher Nation with a great article on the what-if's on the impact on the Cubs if the season is canceled. It will be tough to compete with our contract situations next year if we're unable to go over the luxury tax, since the only guys for sure going off their contracts are Chatwood ($13 million) and Quintana ($10 million)

The one interesting decision will be Lester. Lester has a $25 million club option next season with a $10 million buyout. The buyout is void IF Lester throws over 200 innings this year - I don't foresee that happening.

So the Cubs would likely be entering next season with around $30 million to spend without going over the luxury tax and 3 starting pitching spots opened up.

Which also means extensions will be tough to come by, unless guys (Baez, Schwarber, Rizzo, Bryant) are willing to take a little less the first 2-3 years of an extension while we wait for guys like Kimbrel (2023) Heyward (2024) and Darvish (2024) to come off the books.

Lastly, in terms of Lester, I almost would rather the Cubs offer him a 2 year, $25 million contract instead of losing $10 million to nothing. You're essentially only paying him an extra $15 million over two years to be your 4th/5th starter and while his tank is low, I think he's a hell of a leader and would be great for our future younger guys to work with.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Fun conversation via the Cubs Talk Podcast

Jeff Nelson created a 16 best position player bracket of the top Cubs of the 2000's. Rule was 2 position players from each position, so 6 outfielders, 2 Catchers, etc... and only taking numbers/stats from 2000 on, so Sosa's 1998 season doesn't count.

1. Anthony Rizzo vs. 16. Kosuke Fukudome
8. Willson Contreras vs. 9. Dexter Fowler

4. Aramis Ramirez vs. 13. Mark DeRosa
5. Alfonso Soriano vs. 12. Sammy Sosa

3. Kris Bryant vs. 14. Jason Heyward
6. Derek Lee vs. 11 Moises Alou

2. Javier Baez vs. 15. Geovany Soto
7. Starlin Catsro vs. Ben Zobrist

Who you got winning each matchup?

Sweet 16

1. Anthony Rizzo vs. 16. Kosuke Fukudome (Easy)
8. Willson Contreras vs. 9. Dexter Fowler (Contreras is elite at his position)

4. Aramis Ramirez vs. 13. Mark DeRosa (Ramirez was a favorite)
5. Alfonso Soriano vs. 12. Sammy Sosa (Sosa was my childhood)

3. Kris Bryant vs. 14. Jason Heyward (Easy)
6. Derek Lee vs. 11 Moises Alou (Easy)

2. Javier Baez vs. 15. Geovany Soto (Easy)
7. Starlin Castro vs. 10. Ben Zobrist (Based on emotion - loved Castro. Top hitter and more fun to watch)

Elite 8

1. Rizzo vs. 8. Contreras (Easy)
4. Ramirez vs. 12. Sosa (His numbers in 2000's were still eye-popping.)

3. Bryant
vs. 6. Lee (Easy)
2. Baez vs. 7. Castro (Easy)

Final Four

1. Rizzo vs. 12. Sosa (Easy)
2. Baez vs. 3. Bryant (KB has done more since 2000's/recency bias chooses Baez)

Championship
1. Rizzo vs. 3. Bryant (Rizzo's numbers are consistent AND he's been unreal for the community.)

IMO, Schwarber probably should've replaced Fukudome, who only had like 3 games as a Cub that were impressive.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Can you imagine if this virus hit in 2016? Luckily I expect the Cubs would have struggled to reach 85 wins this year so while I wish we had baseball this year, this isn’t a terrible year to have to miss.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Watched Game 1 of the 2016 NLCS on the Marquee Network last night. In my mind, the second most exciting game I remember of any Cubs postseason I've been alive.

1) Baez steals home to make it 3-1. Insane.

2) I have never seen anyone **** the bed like Bryant, Rizzo, and Fowler did in the top of the 8th. Bryant made a horrific fielders choice decision that ended up getting no one out. Rizzo had a tough fly ball that he still catches 99 out of 100 times drop out of his glove, and Fowler bobbles the game-tying single instead of having a chance to get the game-tying run out at home.

3) The Monty/Fowler back to back STILL, 4 years later, puts my jaw on the floor.

Reactions: psychlone99

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Like this Division for the Cubs if this actually happens (play 12 games vs Division, 6 vs rest of Cactus League):

MLB considering radical realignment for 2020 season: Grapefruit and Cactus leagues

Major League Baseball, assessing a myriad of proposals, has discussed a radical plan that would eliminate the traditional American and National Leagues for 2020, a high-ranking official told USA TODAY Sports, and realign all six divisions for an abbreviated season.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the proposal is one of several being discussed.

The plan would have all 30 teams returning to their spring-training sites in Florida and Arizona, playing regular-season games only in those two states and without fans in an effort to reduce travel and minimize risks in the midst of the COVD-19 pandemic.

The divisions would be realigned based on the geography of their spring-training homes.

Here's a look at one realignment structure:

GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE

• NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates.
  • SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.
  • EAST: Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins.

CACTUS LEAGUE

• NORTHEAST: Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Oakland A’s.
  • WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels.
  • NORTHWEST: Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers, Kansas City Royals.

Full article:https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/5128935002/

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Northwest division would be a damn cakewalk.

I’m not a huge fan of divisions being based off Spring Leagues, but you can’t ask for it all.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Cubs take a local Chicago kid in the Draft. Shortstop

Not sure if you’re watching it on ESPN, but one scout texted Jeff Passan that it was the best pick in the draft thus far. Good guy for fans to dream on. Probably will put up some ugly numbers as he develops.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Not sure if you’re watching it on ESPN, but one scout texted Jeff Passan that it was the best pick in the draft thus far. Good guy for fans to dream on. Probably will put up some ugly numbers as he develops.
Saw that. Also saw on MLB Network that the former Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd say he had Ed as a Top 10 prospect.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Cubs VP of scouting said they wanted him at #16 all along but didn’t think he would last.