Iowa Football Recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
That's hilarious that Brecht says he's still committed. Of course you are.... you're white. Why wouldn't you? You get preferential treatment at Iowa.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
That's hilarious that Brecht says he's still committed. Of course you are.... you're white. Why wouldn't you? You get preferential treatment at Iowa.
more importantly, born with Hok nappies on. He literally asked the two of the four guys with an unwavering commitment to EIU.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
more importantly, born with Hok nappies on. He literally asked the two of the four guys with an unwavering commitment to EIU.

I imagine he asked more guys. Those are just the two who got back to him because they are going to Iowa no matter what.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa see's a MASSIVE amount of its class decommit now. Especially those that are African-American. This is a baaaaddddd look for their program

The current situation coupled with the lack of visits could make you right. I was expecting most schools to lose higher than usual number of verbals, this could make it even worse. That said, the recruits don't commit to Doyle or BF, they've developed relationships with the other coaches who I don't think have been part of the problem. So who knows. Obviously a lot depends on what happens moving forward.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
The current situation coupled with the lack of visits could make you right. I was expecting most schools to lose higher than usual number of verbals, this could make it even worse. That said, the recruits don't commit to Doyle or BF, they've developed relationships with the other coaches who I don't think have been part of the problem. So who knows. Obviously a lot depends on what happens moving forward.

I would say that many Iowa commits cite Doyle as a reason for committing.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I would say that many Iowa commits cite Doyle as a reason for committing.

I'm sure he's been a selling point for sure. Iowa S&C is as good as it gets. But I don't know that's more important than the relationships they've built with the coach who's recruited them.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Who is THE MAN getting guys to the league? Doyle.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Sounds like Raimond Braithwaite will be assuming lead S&C duties, he's been there 15+ years. I think I saw some say it was Doyle and some of the S&C staff, assuming RB isn't one of them.
Sounds like a yes man. Just what is needed.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I gotta say twins was right about Daniels. He said his HS during intros because he WAS mad at Iowa. Several of the hawk fans lambasted twins about twins saying there was an issue.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

All the signees in 2020 and commitments in 2021 that BF is the lead recruiter on are white. At least that's what I was able to derive from 24/7.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
All the signees in 2020 and commitments in 2021 that BF is the lead recruiter on are white. At least that's what I was able to derive from 24/7.

There aren't that many that he was lead recruiter, and the ones he was were OL and TE, which makes sense. From the sounds of it BF has been a big part of the problem.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I'm sure he's been a selling point for sure. Iowa S&C is as good as it gets. But I don't know that's more important than the relationships they've built with the coach who's recruited them.
I normally would agree, but a lot of the players said they endured what was happening to them because they knew it was good for their chances to make the league. Meaning, they didn't wanna be there but Doyle and his training was their ticket to the NFL. No Doyle = No reason for those guys to go to Iowa any more.

But I agree with your statement earlier, I accepted a lot of decommits this year regardless. Now this just may make it worse. As far as other coaches not being involved, unfortunately that's not true either. A lot of players saying positions coaches are just as guilty and many siting BF as a problem right there with Doyle.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I normally would agree, but a lot of the players said they endured what was happening to them because they knew it was good for their chances to make the league. Meaning, they didn't wanna be there but Doyle and his training was their ticket to the NFL. No Doyle = No reason for those guys to go to Iowa any more.

But I agree with your statement earlier, I accepted a lot of decommits this year regardless. Now this just may make it worse. As far as other coaches not being involved, unfortunately that's not true either. A lot of players saying positions coaches are just as guilty and many siting BF as a problem right there with Doyle.

I have no doubt it runs deeper than most probably think. Doyle was legend within the program, if other assistants saw him saying/doing/being a certain way they likely felt it was ok for them. The program is in a place to do some serious self reflection, soul searching, listening, and problem solving. Much will ride on what happens moving forward.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Over the last 10 years, about three-fourths of Iowa’s team captains have been white while only about half the starters were. About half of the Hawkeyes’ NFL draftees in that time have been African Americans. Were more of them worthy of captainship, I wondered, but never asked. It would have been uncomfortable.

For the last eight years, Iowa has put the name of a former Hawkeye on its ANF Wall of Honor in Kinnick Stadium. Each honoree has been white.

I'll be one of the last people to defend iowa for anything. But, I would guess 3/4 of ISU's captains have been white too. At least 2/3. The thing that most don't know is the process for naming captains. Is it a team vote? How much say do the coaches have? I'm sure it's different at every program. Usually, if you have an upper classman QB, he's a captain. And for whatever reason (that's a different debate), the QB position are mostly white guys.

Similarly, that "ANF Wall", we don't know what the criteria is for getting on there. I mean, maybe you have to be a farm kid. That would take most of the black kids from the bigger cities out of the running.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'll be one of the last people to defend iowa for anything. But, I would guess 3/4 of ISU's captains have been white too. At least 2/3. The thing that most don't know is the process for naming captains. Is it a team vote? How much say do the coaches have? I'm sure it's different at every program. Usually, if you have an upper classman QB, he's a captain. And for whatever reason (that's a different debate), the QB position are mostly white guys.

Similarly, that "ANF Wall", we don't know what the criteria is for getting on there. I mean, maybe you have to be a farm kid. That would take most of the black kids from the bigger cities out of the running.

Players vote at Iowa State. Coaches pick at Iowa

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Going from 8 wins to 7 is an upward trend? Is it also an upward trend to go from winning a Bowl game to losing 2 in a row?
Depends if you have your nose pressed against the mirror or if you're standing back far enough. Let me know if you can't comprehend that.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Players vote at Iowa State. Coaches pick at Iowa

If that is true... it only furthers the point of the amount of total control KF wants and has over his program and his student athletes.

He doesn't even allow a kid to visit another school after verbal committing to Iowa. Geez dude. Sometimes kids get other offers from better programs after verballing to a school.