Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
So in your opinion, you're saying winning an entire conference tournament is equal to or similar than winning ONE game in the NCAA tournament...?

I didnt say that but I would rather make the Round of 32 and not win the conference tournament than win the conference tournament and lose the first game of the NCAA tournament.

I think the original question was who did a better job coaching between Prohm and Fran during the 2018-2019 season. If you look at the rosters and entire year results I do not know how you can give the nod to Prohm.

Each team had the same number of wins and finished .500 in conference games, ISU won the conference tournament while Iowa made it a round further in the NCAA tournament. Iowa won the head to head by a large margin.

ISU had a future lottery pick and two second round draft picks on their team while Iowa had at best one future draft pick on their roster who was coming off surgery in the offseason to remove a giant cyst from his abdomen.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
You don't get to claim Tyrese as a lottery pick two years ago lol. Using that thought process, Iowa State fans would get to say Iowa was a 10 seed and only made the second round with a POY candidate.

1 player can't make a team. ISU also had 2 other NBA draft picks and a kid who declared for the draft who was a 5* kid.

It really isn't close to who had more talent that year. I'm not saying ISU had a crappy year, but when you look at the two teams, one clearly over achieved its talent level and one clearly under achieved their talent level. That is coaching.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I didnt say that but I would rather make the Round of 32 and not win the conference tournament than win the conference tournament and lose the first game of the NCAA tournament.

I think the original question was who did a better job coaching between Prohm and Fran during the 2018-2019 season. If you look at the rosters and entire year results I do not know how you can give the nod to Prohm.

Each team had the same number of wins and finished .500 in conference games, ISU won the conference tournament while Iowa made it a round further in the NCAA tournament. Iowa won the head to head by a large margin.

ISU had a future lottery pick and two second round draft picks on their team while Iowa had at best one future draft pick on their roster who was coming off surgery in the offseason to remove a giant cyst from his abdomen.
Iowa State finished ranked in the final AP, Iowa did not. Iowa State had more ranked wins than Iowa. Iowa didn't beat a single ranked team on the road, while Iowa State beat 3. Iowa State beat more NCAA tournament teams. Iowa State finished higher in Ken Pom. That's some pretty good factors when considering who had a better year.

Also, on that team, Iowa had a future NBA prospect in JW, a guy on an NBA roster in Cook, and a future POY candidate in Garza.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
1 player can't make a team. ISU also had 2 other NBA draft picks and a kid who declared for the draft who was a 5* kid.

It really isn't close to who had more talent that year. I'm not saying ISU had a crappy year, but when you look at the two teams, one clearly over achieved its talent level and one clearly under achieved their talent level. That is coaching.
We were 4 seeds better than Iowa in the NCAA tournament.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
Iowa State finished ranked in the final AP, Iowa did not. Iowa State had more ranked wins than Iowa. Iowa didn't beat a single ranked team on the road, while Iowa State beat 3. Iowa State beat more NCAA tournament teams. Iowa State finished higher in Ken Pom. That's some pretty good factors when considering who had a better year.

Also, on that team, Iowa had a future NBA prospect in JW, a guy on an NBA roster in Cook, and a future POY candidate in Garza.

Iowa was ranked in the AP top 25 for 13 weeks that season, ISU only appeared in the top 25 seven times.

ISU beat one more ranked team (5-4).

It was pretty even whether you want to admit it or not. The thing we probably agree most on is ISU had more talent but Fran did the better coaching job that year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Each team had the same number of wins? Iowa State was a 6 seed. Iowa was a 10 seed. Lol cmon

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Each team had the same number of wins? Iowa State was a 6 seed. Iowa was a 10 seed. Lol cmon

On a scale of 1 - 10 what was the talent level for Iowa that year with:
Jordan, Moss, Cook, Wieskamp and Garza (Baer, Kriener and McCaffery)

Same for ISU with:
Tyrese, Shayok, THT, Wigginton, Babb (Lard, Jacobson)

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Iowa was ranked in the AP top 25 for 13 weeks that season, ISU only appeared in the top 25 seven times.

ISU beat one more ranked team (5-4).

It was pretty even whether you want to admit it or not. The thing we probably agree most on is ISU had more talent but Fran did the better coaching job that year.
I'm not saying it's not a close argument. I'm simply saying that Iowa State had a better year than Iowa. If your argument is Fran overachieved and Prohm underachieved in comparison to their talent, that's a whole different argument! I would probably lean to your side of the argument but that doesn't mean Iowa was a better team. You'd literally go against every single metric if you thought that.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
On a scale of 1 - 10 what was the talent level for Iowa that year with:
Jordan, Moss, Cook, Wieskamp and Garza (Baer, Kriener and McCaffery)

Same for ISU with:
Tyrese, Shayok, THT, Wigginton, Babb (Lard, Jacobson)

If you're trying to say Fran is a poor recruiter I'm not going to disagree with you

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Re-read his post. He never said Iowa had a better season than Iowa State that year, he said Fran did a better job coaching his team than Prohm did with Iowa State. Prohm had a lottery pick and several other NBA players and ended up a 6 seed with a first round exit. I think it’s pretty fair to say Iowa State underachieved.

Iowa had less talent and ended up a 10 seed, winning a game in the NCAA Tournament, and taking the 2 seed to overtime in the 2nd round. I think it’s pretty fair to say Iowa overachieved (IIRC they were picked near the bottom of the Big Ten in the preseason). It’s not a stretch at all to claim that Fran coached his team better than Prohm did.
In all fairness, Prohm didn't prepare for the NCAA tournament game....He had already started looking forward to the next year's conference schedule. Those are the only games that count.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
I'm not saying it's not a close argument. I'm simply saying that Iowa State had a better year than Iowa. If your argument is Fran overachieved and Prohm underachieved in comparison to their talent, that's a whole different argument! I would probably lean to your side of the argument but that doesn't mean Iowa was a better team. You'd literally go against every single metric if you thought that.

As I stated earlier I thought this conversation started today with who did the better coaching job that year. I would say Fran.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
In all fairness, Prohm didn't prepare for the NCAA tournament game....He had already started looking forward to the next year's conference schedule. Those are the only games that count.
B- for trying lol

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
As I stated earlier I thought this conversation started today with who did the better coaching job that year. I would say Fran.
I think that it is a fair argument to have and don't mind you having the opinion that Fran did a better job. However, may I remind you Fran got suspended two games for his antics against Ohio State, which led to losing by 14 at home to Rutgers and then by 20 @ Wisconsin. That hurt the team pretty badly.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
I think that it is a fair argument to have and don't mind you having the opinion that Fran did a better job. However, may I remind you Fran got suspended two games for his antics against Ohio State, which led to losing by 14 at home to Rutgers and then by 20 @ Wisconsin. That hurt the team pretty badly.

You think Fran is worth 15-20 points? First ISU fan I have come across to have that high of an opinion of Fran.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

One team won a conference tournament title and got a 6 seed. The other was a 10 seed. How could you say Fran did better?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You think Fran is worth 15-20 points? First ISU fan I have come across to have that high of an opinion of Fran.
Tremendous deflection of my statement made. And that's not how sports work my friend. Lol Fran not coaching his team because he's a psycho hurt them.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
Tremendous deflection of my statement made. And that's not how sports work my friend. Lol Fran not coaching his team because he's a psycho hurt them.

Since we are comparing coaching jobs for the 18-19 season and you brought up Fran's actions in Columbus, that is the same year Prohm went crazy in Carver in a game that his team lost by 14 points.

SEIACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2017
Since we are comparing coaching jobs for the 18-19 season and you brought up Fran's actions in Columbus, that is the same year Prohm went crazy in Carver in a game that his team lost by 14 points.
still managed to not get ejected or call officials "Cheating mother f***ers" Pretty impressive for a guy that went "crazy".