Remainder of NBA season at Disney World?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
So not starting next season at Christmas, I'd imagine?

Good luck competing against football...

Considering the desperation for live sports and there will be plenty of eyes watching the the games this summer with out any competition from other sports til Sept... They will pull numbers.

Plus without travel considerations they are free to schedule the ECF& WCF and NBA Finals around TNF, SNF, and MNF.

Also there is no guarantee the NFL and College will start in Sept.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So not starting next season at Christmas, I'd imagine?

Good luck competing against football...

again, they won’t compete against football. They know it. They still want to play. What’s the problem?

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
again, they won’t compete against football. They know it. They still want to play. What’s the problem?

It's more just odd to be not starting games until July 31st. Why waste July? You could probably start this gimmicky play-in tournament even sometime in June.

Also, just start with the playoffs. The Magic and Grizzlies have not insignificant leads as the 8th seed over others. I love Zion and I know he's the answer as to why they're doing this but it doesn't make much sense.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It's more just odd to be not starting games until July 31st. Why waste July? You could probably start this gimmicky play-in tournament even sometime in June.

Also, just start with the playoffs. The Magic and Grizzlies have not insignificant leads as the 8th seed over others. I love Zion and I know he's the answer as to why they're doing this but it doesn't make much sense.

Too many teams would be left out if they just started with the playoffs. They need to give some opportunity for each franchise, its players, and fans.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

That's my only question about it. I don't know that. I agree with you but I'm sure they'd rather start sooner than later, there has to be a good reason.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Too many teams would be left out if they just started with the playoffs. They need to give some opportunity for each franchise, its players, and fans.
They've played 64 games.

The real reason for getting to 72 is that is the trigger game for most regional TV deals to fully vet and the franchises get their contacts paid out. The owner were always going to go for a plan that included that. I am more surprised this plan will leave 8 team out and not get their full contract payouts will likely pass.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
That's my only question about it. I don't know that. I agree with you but I'm sure they'd rather start sooner than later, there has to be a good reason.

I assume there needs to be time for players to travel to Orlando, a quarantine period (2 weeks?) and then they will need a couple of weeks for practice with testing before they are ready for games. Considering the optics of being the first major conference to resume play they can't afford to rush it and have a positive tests.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
There is some wear-and-year saved if they just play everything in Orlando and never have to travel between different cities, too, mind you. NBA players travel in the most comfortable circumstances possible, that is still time and some energy used.

There has been some serious talk recently about the sleep deprivation NBA players experience over the course of a season with their schedules.

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
There has been some serious talk recently about the sleep deprivation NBA experience over the course of a season with their schedules.

Well maybe they shouldn't go party all night after their games if they are worried about sleep deprivation.

I was staying in a downtown hotel in OKC when the Rapters were in town playing the Thunder. The raptors were staying on my floor. I heard them come in after the game and go back out a while later. 2:30 AM I am woke up to the player and his gf in the room next to me screaming at each other and their baby crying. Argument lasted for over an hour. I was so annoyed, but listening to the argument was kind of funny.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
If it wasn't for our Cyclones in the NBA, I wouldn't waste my time watching any more games this year. Basketball in the summer and early fall doesn't work for me.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
There has been some serious talk recently about the sleep deprivation NBA players experience over the course of a season with their schedules.

Honestly can't be good. That said, if they are all going to be at Disney that will really cut down on the travel, and they'll be able to play then chill the rest of the day. Probably about a situation as far as sleep goes as possible for them.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
If it wasn't for our Cyclones in the NBA, I wouldn't waste my time watching any more games this year. Basketball in the summer and early fall doesn't work for me.
Basketball in the summer is going to be the new norm now.