Athlon 2020 All Conference Team

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Well we have 3 pre season all big 12 D linemen but I don't think all 3 of them will even start! I penciled in Latrell Bankston as the starter at Nose.. that leaves Eny, JaQuan, and Zach to fight it out for the other two spots.

(Of course they'll all play a lot... and don't forget about McDonald)

With that being said, missing all of spring practice has to hurt guys like Bankston get up to speed.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Agree with Anthony Johnson, Kene, Newell, Downing, Milton, Petersen and Kolar. The other 10 not so much

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Shows how far we have come with talent depth to have that many make this list. I even think guys like Newell and Uwazurike have the potential to move up with good seasons. I'm not surprised with Purdy being 2nd string, if he and Ehlinger switched jerseys pretty sure they would flip flop spots. They were very similar last season with Ehlinger edging Purdy out in QB rating 151.8 to 151.1 My opinion is that ISU's success depends more on Purdy's performance than Texas does with Ehlinger. It's still quite a feat to have an ISU QB in the conversation as one of the top 2 QB in the conference after all the turnover and instability we have had over the years at that position.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A breakdown:
Offense (1 first, 4 second, 1 third, 1 fourth)
QB 2 Purdy
RB 2 Hall
WR 2 Milton
WR
TE 1 Kolar
TE 3 Allen
C 4 Newell
OL 2 Downing
OL
OL
OL

Defense (1 first, 3 second, 2 third, 2 fourth)
DL 2 Bailey
DL 3 Peterson
DL 4 Uwazurike
LB 2 Rose
LB 3 Vance
LB
Star 2 Eisworth
S 4 White
S
CB Johnson 1
CB

Special Teams (1 second, 1 third)
K
P
KR 2 Nwangwu
PR 3 Milton

17 All-Conference (2 first, 8 second, 4 third, 3 fourth)

I love how the fourth team balloons so they can add players to make team totals for the Kansas, Kansas States and West Virginias of the league look respectable. Years ago Iowa State was on that list.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well we have 3 pre season all big 12 D linemen but I don't think all 3 of them will even start! I penciled in Latrell Bankston as the starter at Nose.. that leaves Eny, JaQuan, and Zach to fight it out for the other two spots.

With that being said, missing all of spring practice has to hurt guys like Bankston get up to speed.
An embarrassment of riches on the D Line will always pay dividends in the fourth quarter for a coach who uses the personnel well. We all know that Campbell will.

Also, if you are playing a three man front it is even more important to keep them fresh, since you are asking each man to do so much more when he is out there and when one mauler is gassed it is a much bigger problem for the defense.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
Great to see the representation, but Eisworth not being on the 1st team is insanity. He's been 1st team Big 12 by the coaches in his first two years of college ball, no reason to think he won't do the same this year.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
When are these magazines on the shelves?

I pre-order mine on the website so that it arrives as soon as it is printed.

7282.jpg

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Great to see the representation, but Eisworth not being on the 1st team is insanity. He's been 1st team Big 12 by the coaches in his first two years of college ball, no reason to think he won't do the same this year.
This is a product of just looking at stats of an injured player.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

I have an odd suspicion we’ll play more four man front than we have the last couple of years.

Pick your NT—go with Bankston if you like, but there are candidates down to J.R. Singleton—then put Enyi next to him at DT. Just for fun we’ll put JaQuan at left end and Will McDonald on the right side.

Oh, did I mention this was a pass rush set? :rolleyes:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’m not even an old, old timer but I’ve seen enough cyclone football in my day that: 1. This level of preseason hype is completely astounding. 2. Makes me SO ******* nervous. 3. Causes an internal battle within me to completely trust Campbell and take the nut cup totally off but I’ve been a clone too long to know you never take it off (except to wash it to prevent crotch crickets)

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

I actually think it’s gonna be
End- Bailey
Interior- Enyi
End- Peterson

I actually would be surprised if it isn’t Bankston who is fighting for the third spot with Enyi, Lee, Josh Bailey, Robertson, Singleton.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I actually think it’s gonna be
End- Bailey
Interior- Enyi
End- Peterson

I actually would be surprised if it isn’t Bankston who is fighting for the third spot with Enyi, Lee, Josh Bailey, Robertson, Singleton.

Now considering his first day of practice will be in August at the very earliest, he's going to be way behind. I'm going to agree with you and change my prediction

Reactions: TheJackWePack5

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
No Athlon, the second team doesn't surprise me at all.

What I want to know is since when did Sam Ehlinger become a better QB than Purdy. Sure he's a good QB, but stats mean nothing? Head to head means nothing? If they did, Purdy would be the no-doubt No. 1.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Now considering his first day of practice will be in August at the very earliest, he's going to be way behind. I'm going to agree with you and change my prediction
Where did you get August 1st at, please?

The Big XII site still says football players can report for voluntary workouts June 15th, and I see nothing on Cyclones.com.

Plus, Bankston was around for Spring term, so he’s had the playbook.