ISU Athletics Staff Member Tests Positive

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't think it's possible. Players are going to get it. I'm assuming if a team has a major outbreak they'll be required to forfeit games until it's under control.

yep. And I find it hard to believe that if they are testing properly there won’t be lots of schools forfeiting.

again, look at what happens when they test the meat plants 15-25% are positive. The state claims most don’t have symptoms. But you’d still have to sit an athlete for 6 weeks.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
..... Few of us can relate to the magnitude or the difficulty of the decision for Pollard.

Exactly. Instead of wasting time on a chat board with the same, months old talking points, the three 'zero risk, shut it all downers' should just email JP with their concerns and let him thank them for their input.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Report: Two Marshall football players test positive for COVID-19, are in isolation

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/02/marshall-football-players-covid-19/

So, that is 7.

4 Iowa State (sports not yet known).
1 Okie State football
2 Marshall football

It is probably worth noting that this news seems to be the result of testing that may have started on June 1st, not necessarily transmission related to students engaging in athletic department activities.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Let’s play some sports! **** the players and staffs, if they get sick and die they get sick and die. I’m bored! We can’t just not do stuff because there’s a deadly virus everywhere!
I don't think it is news that someone gets sick. ICU sick or death would be news. No indication of that from the press release.

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
If you don't consider this news I'd be interested to know what you do consider news.

This is the first test to see if we're gonna be able to have sports, or hell, in person classes on campus, this fall. Every school in the country is gonna watch how this plays out.

I agree. Even in a small group and a safe as possible setting the risk is still there. I am curious to see how high school sports in Iowa play out this summer.

I also saw these athletes could be out 3-6 weeks. How would that work during a season. There is a chance that an athlete gets sick and is out for a long period of time. Not just because they are still contagious but some people who do get this, even the young, are down and out for a long time. We learn more everyday but there is still so much unknown.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I broke my collar bone making a diving catch in the end zone after landing on the ball and I still came home with it....

vs...

I got COVID because someone, I have no idea who, could have even been my own teammate, spit all over my face while we were in a pile.

no difference there right? None whatsoever. I know what contracting a sports injury is and I know what contracting a disease is. They aren’t the same thing.

I never said contracting the disease is, and what contracting a sports injury are the same.

What you are choosing to not understand is that we are discussing risk. That is a conversation you don't want to have because it takes us all uncomfortable places. The relative risks vs. playing and not playing should be measured. Again, is anybody here being forced to play? That's the question. I'm assuming anybody showing up for summer workouts has evaluated those risks and made the choice that the risk of playing football in general and the risk of contracting COVID-19 are acceptable. I think they should be allowed to make that choice.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
I never said contracting the disease is, and what contracting a sports injury are the same.

What you are choosing to not understand is that we are discussing risk. That is a conversation you don't want to have because it takes us all uncomfortable places. The relative risks vs. playing and not playing should be measured. Again, is anybody here being forced to play? That's the question. I'm assuming anybody showing up for summer workouts has evaluated those risks and made the choice that the risk of playing football in general and the risk of contracting COVID-19 are acceptable. I think they should be allowed to make that choice.
No..we can't make our own risk decisions..from now on the government needs to make these decisions to protect us from ourselves.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
the problem is that 4 have symptoms with few on campus. If you get COVID you are out for 2 weeks minimum. Got to have people to play.

It states 3 to 6 weeks in the article. OUCH!

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I don’t know, if I was an administrator I wouldn’t want to have to call mama and tell her her boy is on a respirator 700 miles away and don’t come up because she can’t see him anyway. We’ll send him back to you in a nice box if he doesn’t make it.

We have about 4 months of history now, how many well conditioned kids that age have been put on respirators? Is it 1 out of 100,000 or 500,000? No one is being forced to show up either. The kid is an adult as well. Could have been forced into combat at age 18. Make their own choice.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
This is turning into a stupid argument.

but no one has answered my question. Let’s assume that going forward makes medical sense because they aren’t likely to die or have serious long term problems (debatable but understandable) and let’s assume that Iowa State will do their best to mitigate it.

my concern is that it seems almost impossible not to have a significant number of players come down with it and have to be isolated for 6 weeks.

let’s say OL Joe goes to class and interacts with someone who has it. Joe goes to practice where he is in close contact with his OL teammates and the face of Iowa State, Brock Purdy. Joe gets tested and is positive. So Joe is out for 6 weeks. BUT since everyone is being tested often, 3 OLs and Brock also test positive. Now they are out for 6 weeks. I would fully expect most if not all of them would ultimately be fine. But it’s hard to see how it doesn’t spread like wild fire in a team. And it seems like 15-30% coming down with it isn’t out of the question. Is it hard to play football with 30% out?

I think that's a good point. We ALL want football. They players likely do even more than us. But this is going to be tricky. It's hard to see anyone avoiding multiple players sitting out each week. I mean, is there a more contagious environment than a FB practice or game? And the cost of weekly testing for players is not insignificant.

They are going to have to come up with a good plan for all students. Large lectures will probably need to be online and only small classes or labs on campus. Masks on campus at all times. Try to limit students from going back to their home towns on weekends and bringing the virus back or infecting their grandparents. As far as football, no matter what, the records, stats, attendance, etc. are going to have a huge asterisk next to them. And the NCAA is going to have to be ready to grant extra RS years and possibly loosen scholarship limits for next year with guys coming back that should be done. It's going to be a mess no matter what.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
This is not being talked about enough. What percentage of coaches and support staff fall in the "high risk" category?

They will have choices to make. If someone opts out for a season then someone else gets elevated to cover.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I think that's a good point. We ALL want football. They players likely do even more than us. But this is going to be tricky. It's hard to see anyone avoiding multiple players sitting out each week. I mean, is there a more contagious environment than a FB practice or game? And the cost of weekly testing for players is not insignificant.

They are going to have to come up with a good plan for all students. Large lectures will probably need to be online and only small classes or labs on campus. Masks on campus at all times. Try to limit students from going back to their home towns on weekends and bringing the virus back or infecting their grandparents. As far as football, no matter what, the records, stats, attendance, etc. are going to have a huge asterisk next to them. And the NCAA is going to have to be ready to grant extra RS years and possibly loosen scholarship limits for next year with guys coming back that should be done. It's going to be a mess no matter what.

No illicit sex either amongst the kiddies and no parties. Best of luck with that.