MLB: MLB to Start Back Up on July 1?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Do you really think the owners are going to be better off then pre-Covid-19 in this new structure? That's ludicrous.The owners will have less profit and the players less salary. The only thing to determine is where in the middle that line lies. MLBPA knows this too. Otherwise there wouldn't be a salary negotiation.

Aren't you nasty and feisty? That'll work.
There isn't a required middle ground. See, the owners aren't losing anything. They're plenty well off already.

What will be crucial for players and workers anywhere is to ensure that salaries aren't arbitrarily flexible. If players give up money, that's a precedent that never goes away. Never has, never will.
Now please, get all feistied up to protect them owners.

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
I guess I don’t understand why some of the cuts are so drastic. An 82 game season is essentially half a season so I wouldn’t expect to take more than a 50% cut regardless of what I was making.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
If they were smart, they'd guarantee the full pro-rated contract for players this year or even slightly more given the risks but then defer some of the payment to future years. Then put a small tax on salaries over the next 5-10 years to pay back this year's player earnings. That way future negotiations will determine the players' possible paycut once the full effect of the pandemic is more known.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I guess I don’t understand why some of the cuts are so drastic. An 82 game season is essentially half a season so I wouldn’t expect to take more than a 50% cut regardless of what I was making.
Ricketts has claimed 70% of his revenue comes from concessions and ticket sales. Which are going to be less due to stadium crowd restrictions or playing at neutral sites.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
They're losing significantly more than 50%. No concessions, no ticket sales, no merchandise moving, huge TV revenue losses, and going up against all other sports which would've been done already if their seasons aren't pushed back.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have some feelings and thoughts on both sides of this thing. However, call it selfish if you want, but I don’t care what they have to do, I just want to watch some god damn baseball

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
They're losing significantly more than 50%. No concessions, no ticket sales, no merchandise moving, huge TV revenue losses, and going up against all other sports which would've been done already if their seasons aren't pushed back.

Good thing every financial advisor says a person should have 3-6 months emergency fund. I am sure all these multimillionaires can survive one down year. Maybe sell a yacht or private jet.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Good thing every financial advisor says a person should have 3-6 months emergency fund. I am sure all these multimillionaires can survive one down year. Maybe sell a yacht or private jet.

Which multimillionaires we talking about? The players or the owners? Honestly if they can't get it figured out I put it on all parties and just another example of how baseball can't get out of it's own way. I thought I'd be pining for it with nothing else happening but I just don't care at all. They could be having games all day and I've have my TV tuned to it. It's just absurd that they can't come together to get it done.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Which multimillionaires we talking about? The players or the owners? Honestly if they can't get it figured out I put it on all parties and just another example of how baseball can't get out of it's own way. I thought I'd be pining for it with nothing else happening but I just don't care at all. They could be having games all day and I've have my TV tuned to it. It's just absurd that they can't come together to get it done.

I was speaking about the owners. The players should get paid whatever percentage of the season gets played.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This. ^^^^^^^

There's no reason they can't come up with a reasonable agreement. None. Zero. Nadda.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I was speaking about the owners. The players should get paid whatever percentage of the season gets played.

I don't care what people should or shouldn't get. Again, if these guys want to build the sport they should get it done. If they can't come to agreement, they are all greedy dipsticks that deserve our ire. Period. You can almost be guaranteed the NBA is coming back. The NHL has announced plans to come back. You know football is kicking off as is. The only major league in this country that can't get it's crap together at all is baseball, and it's a sport that could be being played daily, all day, every day, with a massive captive audience right now.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
July 1 to Oct 31st is 122 days.

I would imagine best case they needs 3-4 weeks for spring training so how the hell do they think that would work?
Don't the owners supposedly favor less game over more games?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I worry that if MLB can't get their act together and get this thing figured out soon it is going to have some long term damage to the game. First off there already will probably be some damage done regardless with basically losing a full year of minor league development but the PR aspect is if this season doesn't happen at all the popularity of the game takes a hit too just like it has whenever there has been a work stoppage in the past. Factor in that the current CBA expires after the 2021 season too and if there is yet another stoppage that results from that, not sure what kind of patience the fans will have left if that gets ugly too.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
July 1 to Oct 31st is 122 days.

I would imagine best case they needs 3-4 weeks for spring training so how the hell do they think that would work?

That does not seem like a serious proposal. I have my doubts as to having any baseball season at all this year, and with the CBA expiring next year we're maybe looking at 2022 before we have baseball without scabs on the field...

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Baseball is so dysfunctional. Why do they find it necessary to negotiate publicly? Neither the owner's nor MLBPA's proposal was a serious offer.