Royce White sighting - Feature in Washington Post

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'd seen a local story here with a picture and mention of Royce and saw this full feature in the Washington Post tonight. Hopefully not "caved" because of politics but seems relevant as a Cyclone.

imrs.php

"After seeing the video, White texted a group of 30 Minnesota athletes, some of them college players, some of them current and former professionals. His message: It was time to get publicly involved with the struggle. Enough was enough."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...0e4576-a34e-11ea-b619-3f9133bbb482_story.html

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Paywall. I was going to give it a chance, but I find it pretty hard to take anything he does seriously these days.

Reactions: Cyfern

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Paywall. I was going to give it a chance, but I find it pretty hard to take anything he does seriously these days.

Pretty positive spin and even had a game action picture of him as a Cyclone.

"White’s words are what the crowds here have been craving, and they are flocking to his every appearance. His friends say it was just a matter of time before White found a path into this realm of leadership."

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
And they were all like "Who?"

An ex-cyclone who we owe some credit to in helping ISU b-ball get off the ground, coordinated and organized a peaceful protest with thousands of people using his and others platform, and this is your reply?
GTFO

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
An ex-cyclone who we owe some credit to in helping ISU b-ball get off the ground, coordinated and organized a peaceful protest with thousands of people using his and others platform, and this is your reply?
GTFO
Guess I’m not as supportive of deadbeat parents as some people on here.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Article talks about Royce stepping up to be an organizer and leader of peaceful protests. Relevant section from the article.

White said he, like so many other African Americans, has experienced the racism and fear that comes from interacting with aggressive police officers. In 2016, he had an encounter with police that he feared would leave him like Floyd, and before him Philando Castille, Jamar Clark and Terrance Franklin, all Twin Cities black men whose deaths at the hands of police have sparked outcry in years past.

As White sat outside a Roseville, Minn., Chinese restaurant eating takeout, several police cars boxed his vehicle in and rushed toward him with guns drawn and aimed at his head, White said. They screamed at him to freeze before instructing him get out of the car and to take out his wallet. He refused, thinking a move to his pocket would get him shot. They eventually told White they had mistaken him for someone else.

“And what do you get when you walk away?” White said. “ ‘We’re sorry about that. We apologize.’ What if I had gotten up and ran? Any trust I had in the police really went away in that instant.”

Reactions: Cyclad and Peter

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
It would be nice if he used his platform to condemn the rioting. Peaceful protests are fine but why block a highway?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It would be nice if he used his platform to condemn the rioting. Peaceful protests are fine but why block a highway?

that’s pretty much the definition of a peaceful protest.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Why???? To no longer be ignored. Inconvenience is the point.

Who is ignoring this? This heinous act has been universally condemned by pretty much everyone. The only people ignoring this is this psycho officer’s superiors. That person should have been fired many times for past transgressions but he was allowed to keep his job. I don’t agree with the 3rd degree murder charge, should be second degree but I’m hoping they tack on enough other charges that it won’t matter. Then I hope they stick that bastard into the general population without protection.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Treading a pretty fine line here with politics, guys. Let's try to either make a second post in the Cave about the politics of it, or we can just move this there.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Where are there any political discussions?

We're not going to discuss the merits or issues with riots or protests, that is an issue for the cave because the divide is inherently political. There are multiple threads in the Cave that you can post in about those topics.

Reactions: Cloneon

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Diverse dude.

College basketball stud, NBA bust, aspiring MMA fighter, poetry and music writer, mental health activist, struggle activist, baby daddy.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Article talks about Royce stepping up to be an organizer and leader of peaceful protests. Relevant section from the article.

White said he, like so many other African Americans, has experienced the racism and fear that comes from interacting with aggressive police officers. In 2016, he had an encounter with police that he feared would leave him like Floyd, and before him Philando Castille, Jamar Clark and Terrance Franklin, all Twin Cities black men whose deaths at the hands of police have sparked outcry in years past.

As White sat outside a Roseville, Minn., Chinese restaurant eating takeout, several police cars boxed his vehicle in and rushed toward him with guns drawn and aimed at his head, White said. They screamed at him to freeze before instructing him get out of the car and to take out his wallet. He refused, thinking a move to his pocket would get him shot. They eventually told White they had mistaken him for someone else.

“And what do you get when you walk away?” White said. “ ‘We’re sorry about that. We apologize.’ What if I had gotten up and ran? Any trust I had in the police really went away in that instant.”

Deleted for stupid political statements by others....

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Diverse dude.

College basketball stud, NBA bust, aspiring MMA fighter, poetry and music writer, mental health activist, struggle activist, baby daddy.

I have a friend who's son was friends with Royce in college, and he said Royce really didn't care that much about basketball, was more interested in his writing music and poetry. Still, probably the most talent guy ISU ever had on the court. Just crazy talented.

Reactions: Peter