Cyclones hosting South Carolina in WBB Big 12 - SEC Challenge

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
We had assumed that this game would be at home in the 20-21 schedule thread, but we now have a date to attach to the game.

Bill calls this one of the most difficult non-conf schedules we've had. I'm looking forward to seeing what it is. This team should be up to the challenge, although the freshmen will need to acclimate quickly.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This will be an interesting one @geewago 2 trips to Ames in one winter?;)
Edit see you only have to go up the road a little ways to see your Lady Bears take on the Razorbacks.

I don't know how it will turn out but looking forward to this game. I like interesting non-con matchups.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
This will be an interesting one @geewago 2 trips to Ames in one winter?;)
Edit see you only have to go up the road a little ways to see your Lady Bears take on the Razorbacks.

I don't know how it will turn out but looking forward to this game. I like interesting non-con matchups.

I do think like all of collegiate sports this could be affected by where we are at in the Covid spread. If they are playing in front of empty arenas I could see this game not played due to the travel costs etc. I think that this is a possibility as it has not really been addressed if it will be safe to have fans at indoor events.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
There are 4 matchups in this series that are of interest to me. A&M at UT, BU at AR, Tenn at WV and SC at ISU.

This series is usually played Wednesday through Sunday. I thought I read that SC will be in Ames on Sunday Dec 6.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I do think like all of collegiate sports this could be affected by where we are at in the Covid spread. If they are playing in front of empty arenas I could see this game not played due to the travel costs etc. I think that this is a possibility as it has not really been addressed if it will be safe to have fans at indoor events.

It's six months out and hoping for the best but not banking on it. Fans or no fans this is likely a national TV game so I think it has a good shot at being played regardless of restrictions on crowds at sports venues if CV-19 is running rampant this winter. Sunday match up and possible #1 team looks good for ESPN2. BTW, South Carolina didn't play in the Challenge last year but did play and beat Baylor in another NC tournament.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We had assumed that this game would be at home in the 20-21 schedule thread, but we now have a date to attach to the game.

Bill calls this one of the most difficult non-conf schedules we've had. I'm looking forward to seeing what it is. This team should be up to the challenge, although the freshmen will need to acclimate quickly.

Samesies here. We know South Carolina, @ Iowa and probably Drake @ Hilton. Having a hard time imagining much more than that unless we are in some nice tournament somewhere. It's just not our norm unless it's a game in the Challenge or a tournament.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Samesies here. We know South Carolina, @ Iowa and probably Drake @ Hilton. Having a hard time imagining much more than that unless we are in some nice tournament somewhere. It's just not our norm unless it's a game in the Challenge or a tournament.

Only thing I could find -- Fennelly makes vague reference at then end of an Iowa State Daily article in April

Lastly, Fennelly said (ISU) “could play in a tournament in Florida that is one of the best non-conference tournaments in the country.”

Not a close follower of WCBB, what tournament is he referencing?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Only thing I could find -- Fennelly makes vague reference at then end of an Iowa State Daily article in April

Lastly, Fennelly said (ISU) “could play in a tournament in Florida that is one of the best non-conference tournaments in the country.”

It's the Gulf Coast Showcase in Estero, Florida (Fort Myers area). I had not heard of it before hearing ISU's name attached to it earlier this year. Hope it happens.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

It's the Gulf Coast Showcase in Estero, Florida (Fort Myers area). I had not heard of it before hearing ISU's name attached to it earlier this year. Hope it happens.

Hard to find info. Found a list of ALL of the men's 2020 tournaments with teams the other day but couldn't find jack on the WBB ones (or anything related to ISU till Buster's mention).

No teams listed for this one yet but the the past champs lead me to believe it may have somebody with an elite pedigree. Past six champs: UCONN, Stanford, Baylor, Notre Dame, Texas and Gonzaga. The men's side is decidedly more pedestrian with past champs like Weber State, Hawaii, Towson, Toledo, LaSalle.

BTW, social distancing won't be an issue if you drive down. Gonzaga/Purdue in champs game from last year. Looks like no TV unless you buy a subscription to FloHoops.

Untitled_1.jpg

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If they are playing in front of empty arenas I could see this game not played due to the travel costs etc. I think that this is a possibility as it has not really been addressed if it will be safe to have fans at indoor events.

Hilton is rarely more than 25% occupied for WBB anyway.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hilton is rarely more than 25% occupied for WBB anyway.

Duck and cover dude, I anticipate incoming fire! ;)

BTW I'd say 35%. Approximately 5000 +/- out of 14,000. More for some games like Baylor or Iowa, little less for other Big 12 games. More like 4000 for a lot of games.

Edit: I think I am being generous. And not dissing, just being realistic. 5K or so is still pretty good for true cheeks in the seats for WBB.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I take it you’ve never been to a WBB game.

I've been to almost every home game since 1997, when there was still caution tape marking off large swaths of Hilton.

Empty balcony.
A student "section" of 20-25, if you're lucky.
A Jr Clone Club "section" of 100, if you're lucky.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Duck and cover dude, I anticipate incoming fire! ;)

BTW I'd say 35%. Approximately 5000 +/- out of 14,000. More for some games like Baylor or Iowa, maybe a little less for other Big 12 games.

I can handle it. Anyone with two eyes knows how far off the announced number is.

14384 * .25 = 3596. I'd bet that only gets topped a couple of times per year.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I take it you’ve never been to a WBB game.

The glory days of attendance for WBB was many moons ago. Season tkts sold are still 9,000 plus. A really well attended game nowdays is basically the lower bowl full. and that might happen once a yr. I don't think they top 10,000 actual more than once a yr if lucky. This comes from someone who attends pretty darn regularly. (Season tkts but I don't make every game) I do get get them to people who use them though.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
One small bit of info on the tournament website: it is November 27-29 (the three days following Thanksgiving). We could have guessed that, but there is confirmation.

There's a pic on the site of Gonzaga's team (winners last year) holding the MBB/WBB tournament bracket. If you zoom in, you can clearly see the WBB teams that participated last year:

Auburn (rpi 114)
Middle Tennessee (46)
Gonzaga (12)
Dayton (42)
Arizona State (40)
Maine (161)
Drake (25)
Purdue (45)

That's a really solid slate. 6 of the 8 teams were top-50 rpi (only 4 of 10 Big 12 teams last year could boast that, including #41 ISU).

Side note -- WBB is switching from RPI to NET (which MBB uses) this coming season, for anyone who hadn't seen.