Best Places To Live Near DSM?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My wife and I are planning a move back to the Des Moines area next summer. We have been browsing real estate listings for a few months now and one thing we are trying to pin down are towns/areas that we should be focusing on.

What are some of the best towns to live in around the Des Moines metro? What are some of the ones to avoid?

Here is our criteria:

1) We are old house lovers. So, we are looking for a home from 1900-1930. We are not interested in a new development or new house. Living in town (in a smaller town) or in the country is fine by us.

2) Needs to be within about a 45 minute drive (max) from West DSM/Urbandale, which is where extended family is.

3) Size of the town is not as critical. However, we are looking for a town that is healthy/vibrant. A town that holds events within itself or with neighboring towns would be nice. We love DSM, but don't want to have to drive into the metro anytime we want to do something fun. Fairs, festivals, etc in said small town would be preferred.

4) I will be working from home so no need to focus location on place of work. Proximity to the airport would be a plus, though.

5) We have kids that are just entering school age. While we don't need to have them in the best schools possible, we would like to be aware of any towns/areas that have notoriously bad schools. We are both products of the Iowa public school system, so that's where our kids will attend.

Winterset and Indianola are the two we've identified so far. What others should we be looking at?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Tier 1: Van Meter, Panora, Granger, Cumming are some of my favorite small towns convenient to DSM.

Tier 2: Dallas Center, Cambridge DC is kind of dead but they do have a nice pool and it’s now on the bike trail.

Tier 3: Adel, Perry, Huxley

Last edited:
Reactions: DSMCy

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Reading your criteria I was going to suggest Indianola even before I read your last couple sentences. You may be able to find an older home built in that timeframe, especially west and north of square near Simpson.

Airport is no problem. I make it downtown in 20-25 minutes pretty much every morning without hitting any traffic.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't live in these towns but Slater, Polk City, and Adel come to mind with your description.

I think Adel's had a tax abatement program from new construction so I don't know how that would impact your preferred house age.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Reading your criteria I was going to suggest Indianola even before I read your last couple sentences. You may be able to find an older home built in that timeframe, especially west and north of square near Simpson.

Airport is no problem. I make it downtown in 20-25 minutes pretty much every morning without hitting any traffic.

Agree with this, lots of old homes in the center of town and probably plenty of options for more space/country living to the north and west in the areas between Indianola and Martensdale, Cumming, Norwalk. Very pretty out there.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Boy that's something. I think I'd like to Airbnb it but not live in it.

Yeah, I didn't want to start a debate about what constitutes an old house, but that one ain't it. It's a common find in today's real estate. Take an old house, gut it, and replace with modern design/materials. It's an "old house shell" with a new house inside. In short, not what we'd be looking for.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What about Waveland neighborhood? Neat old homes, neighborhood culture, and midway between WDM and downtown. That's where we'd live if we moved to DSM
Yeah in my head I was thinking Waveland, Waterbury, Ingersoll, etc. I just assumed he didn't want to be in the city.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
not house related but curious since you've talked about this other threads - are you staying with the same company and they've let you go remote now? Or new job?

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Yeah, I didn't want to start a debate about what constitutes an old house, but that one ain't it. It's a common find in today's real estate. Take an old house, gut it, and replace with modern design/materials. It's an "old house shell" with a new house inside. In short, not what we'd be looking for.
It may be a little farther than you like, but marshalltown has A LOT of nice old houses like this on Main street
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/710-W-Main-St-Marshalltown-IA-50158/76792827_zpid/?

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Did not attend Norwalk schools but I have watched them for years. Very progressive. State and nationally recognized teachers and administration .

Not a lot of houses in Norwalk are older with character. Most were built in the 50's and 60's.

I grew up around Indianola. And there are some really interesting older homes. Simpson is making a lot of changes right now and there may be some homes in that area coming on the market.

Last edited:

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
You'd have to add 15 minutes to your drive time (airport is 50 minutes, costco (WDM) 1 hr), but you might consider Pella, stable small town with employers that support community and activities (Pella corp., Vermeer Corp. PPI, Van Gorp.) Many old houses, (active historical society) as some upper income engineers have moved to developments around Bos Landen golf club. Very strong 3A school system, with AP courses in conjunction with Central College. (Not one school levy has gone down since I've lived here). Home of Tulip time, many volunteers in the event (I drive a float LOL). Boating Biking and outdoor stuff at Lake Red Rock. Know some ISU people who have come here as they ended successful careers around the world, returning to Iowa, as well as many who have careers going at Vermeer etc. I drive my wife nuts as I often leave doors unlocked and car keys in the car. We have season tickets to ISU, DSM civic center, and DM metro opera (minivan for tailgate), and attend many local Central college and local community theatre productions. Anyway, IM not the chamber of commerce; nor was I in sales so thats enough.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You'd have to add 15 minutes to your drive time (airport is 50 minutes, costco (WDM) 1 hr), but you might consider Pella, stable small town with employers that support community and activities (Pella corp., Vermeer Corp. PPI, Van Gorp.) Many old houses, (active historical society) as some upper income engineers have moved to developments around Bos Landen golf club. Very strong 3A school system, with AP courses in conjunction with Central College. (Not one school levy has gone down since I've lived here). Home of Tulip time, many volunteers in the event (I drive a float LOL). Boating Biking and outdoor stuff at Lake Red Rock. Know some ISU people who have come here as they ended successful careers around the world, returning to Iowa, as well as many who have careers going at Vermeer etc. I drive my wife nuts as I often leave doors unlocked and car keys in the car. We have season tickets to ISU, DSM civic center, and DM metro opera (minivan for tailgate), and attend many local Central college and local community theatre productions. Anyway, IM not the chamber of commerce; nor was I in sales so thats enough.

CON: The Dutch. Enjoy your mayonnaise and marshmallow salad with peaches in it.

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
Drake area has a bunch of old homes and they are pretty cheap, however may need some updating. That area has a lot of development going on too, some say gentrification, but they are are making it a lot nicer, IMO. Not sure on schools, probably Hoover area.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron