Jalen Coleman-Lands Commits to ISU

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
These ain't the Hoiberg day's, an these transfers ain't the same.
You waited 6 months to make your first post, and this is what you decide to say after what is undeniably a positive for our coach that wants to be here? SMH

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You waited 6 months to make your first post, and this is what you decide to say after what is undeniably a positive for our coach that wants to be here? SMH

There are definitely interesting posts by people. I know Hoiberg started the transfer thing on a large scale, but what really seemed to carry him was his HS recruiting. He found very good players that weren't quite good enough to leave early. Then he was able to blend the transfers in with them. Prohm's issue is, his good HS players have left early. If we still had Hali, THT, and wigs for next year, I think people would be feeling much better. I know Prohm has had too many HS players that haven't panned out, but most schools besides the likes of the Dukes, NCs, Kansas and Kentuckys, will have more misses than hits on a roster.

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
Many folks on this board(me included) we’re worried that Steve would have to fall back to options C-F this spring. So far by my reckoning he has stayed at B or above.

Reactions: LindenCy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We have a lot of 2 guards, but no real PG... except the freshman Walker... but it sounds like he'll be a few years away from making an impact.

This is where I think Buggs could have helped us, but he committed to Mizzou, right?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We have a lot of 2 guards, but no real PG... except the freshman Walker... but it sounds like he'll be a few years away from making an impact.

This is where I think Buggs could have helped us, but he committed to Mizzou, right?

Yes, Buggs is a Tiger.

Talent is way more important than rigid adherence to positional archetypes.

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
And Buggs REALLY wanted to be a Cyclone. He's not a great shooter, but his experience, skills and team-first attitude would have been assets to this team.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
And Buggs REALLY wanted to be a Cyclone. He's not a great shooter, but his experience, skills and team-first attitude would have been assets to this team.
Yes but people would have killed Prohm for taking him because he can't shoot.

Reactions: Cyclad

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Had I known we'd land Harris and JCL... I would have signed up for taking Buggs.

Harris is more of a scorer, JCL is a shooter, Tre Jackson is a shooting guard, Bolton is a scorer, etc, etc..... so Buggs would have been a nice pass first PG to run the show and distribute IMO.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Had I known we'd land Harris and JCL... I would have signed up for taking Buggs.

Harris is more of a scorer, JCL is a shooter, Tre Jackson is a shooting guard, Bolton is a scorer, etc, etc..... so Buggs would have been a nice pass first PG to run the show and distribute IMO.

I don't think it works quite that clean though. IF you take Buggs JC-L very likely goes elsewhere. I don't think ISU was planning on taking 2 guards and very possibly took JC-L instead of Foreman for that reason.
We also can shouldn't assume that Harris will be eligible even if is sounds there is some positive hints on the waiver.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Yes, Buggs is a Tiger.

Talent is way more important than rigid adherence to positional archetypes.

On a macro level I agree. But last year, all the talent was distributed amongst guys who optimally would play either the 2 or 5, and... it was not ideal.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I don't think it works quite that clean though. IF you take Buggs JC-L very likely goes elsewhere. I don't think ISU was planning on taking 2 guards and very possibly took JC-L instead of Foreman for that reason.
We also can shouldn't assume that Harris will be eligible even if is sounds there is some positive hints on the waiver.

So much this. Also, I’m ok with having more guys that know how to create for themselves rather than a Biggs type. Having dudes that can go get a bucket really helps when teams slow you down.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've been critical of Steve, but I'm willing to give credit where it's due. Needed to have some transfers with talent to inject some life for next season, and he's delivered now. Good job Steve.

I agree with this 100%. I've been really crtical of Prohm. It seemed like he was in a tail spin during the season, but he's proving again his recruiting abilities in the off season. I'm feeling better about next year for sure with the recruiting class coming in, and these two transfer pick ups. We also have some good pieces coming back next year, which I think will make a nice blend of players.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I agree with this 100%. I've been really crtical of Prohm. It seemed like he was in a tail spin during the season, but he's proving again his recruiting abilities in the off season. I'm feeling better about next year for sure with the recruiting class coming in, and these two transfer pick ups. We also have some good pieces coming back next year, which I think will make a nice blend of players.
I'm about the most optimistic guy and loyal to existing coaches to a fault. But if you weren't questioning how CSP was managing the team I think you would have an issue with sight. But one player, at the right time can change all perception.

What if Wesley Johnson doesn't get hurt? Do we love McD, and maybe his son comes to Ames and we don't get Hoiberg for a few years. (Same happened in football with Mac and Rhoads. A few players or plays here or there and we aren't looking at the best run in football in maybe our history.)
What if Diante Garrett doesn't buy into Hoiberg's vision? Do the transfers decide to join?
If Georges, Monte, or Naz transfer or leave early what happens to the chemistry?
If Wigs, THT, or Cam stay?

Yeah, I get that some of that, or most of that is on the coach. But sometimes it's the kid. I'm curious why JCL is going to his 3rd school, but I'm super happy that he decided to conclude a Clone.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Probably noted previously in the thread (or other threads), I hadn't checked ESPN's transfer ranking in a while. JC-L listed at #37. ESPN hasn't updated the page in a week, so he's still listed as uncommitted. I can't remember how many of the players ranked above him had ISU on short-list/or ISU was in seriously contention. Link

(Harris is #59 on sit-out list).

Last edited:

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm about the most optimistic guy and loyal to existing coaches to a fault. But if you weren't questioning how CSP was managing the team I think you would have an issue with sight. But one player, at the right time can change all perception.

What if Wesley Johnson doesn't get hurt? Do we love McD, and maybe his son comes to Ames and we don't get Hoiberg for a few years. (Same happened in football with Mac and Rhoads. A few players or plays here or there and we aren't looking at the best run in football in maybe our history.)
What if Diante Garrett doesn't buy into Hoiberg's vision? Do the transfers decide to join?
If Georges, Monte, or Naz transfer or leave early what happens to the chemistry?
If Wigs, THT, or Cam stay?

Yeah, I get that some of that, or most of that is on the coach. But sometimes it's the kid. I'm curious why JCL is going to his 3rd school, but I'm super happy that he decided to conclude a Clone.
It goes to show, if you aren't a blue blood, there is a very fine line between success and failure. Just look at the up and down seasons KState, Oklahoma and West Virginia have had, with great coaches too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron