Big 12 okays football June 15th

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

Well - I cannot say I am surprised. Too much money involved. Money always prevails over all else. I am curious if there will be conference guidelines or if every school will figure out for themselves how to manage this. Ultimately, there will have to be conference rules regarding playing games with “Covid players” or exposed teammates. Everybody cannot decide that for themselves.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I would think the conference can determine when things can begin and give guidelines but ultimately it will be up to each state to determine if games are played and if there's fans.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I would think the conference can determine when things can begin and give guidelines but ultimately it will be up to each state to determine if games are played and if there's fans.
Agree. I think you are correct about fans - that will be up to the school. I guess I was more concerned about testing guidelines
and what to do when an infected player is detected. If OU plays with Covid players and ISU does not, it’s a big deal. I think the latest data says 40% with CV have no symptoms but can spread the disease. Going to be tricky.
Iowa currently one of 24 states with an R value of over 1. Per ISU, we are currently at 1.6, meaning every person with CV gives it to 1.6 others. Must get that under 1 to have things headed the right way.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Agree. I think you are correct about fans - that will be up to the school. I guess I was more concerned about testing guidelines
and what to do when an infected player is detected. If OU plays with Covid players and ISU does not, it’s a big deal. I think the latest data says 40% with CV have no symptoms but can spread the disease. Going to be tricky.
Iowa currently one of 24 states with an R value of over 1. Per ISU, we are currently at 1.6, meaning every person with CV gives it to 1.6 others. Must get that under 1 to have things headed the right way.
Agree, the rules for testing, playing with infected players, etc needs to be the same at least within the conference if not all of college football.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Agree, the rules for testing, playing with infected players, etc needs to be the same at least within the conference if not all of college football.
And I haven't seen anything like that to this point, which makes me wonder how this will go.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think that has some interesting implications.

Say that you test on Monday, and find out Thursday that 20% of your players test positive, but are asymptomatic. Your opponent that week has 22% of their players who are positive but asymptomatic.

What do you do?

After all, they’ve all been practicing and working out together all week anyway.

And I have a question. I read an interview with Bowlsby where he mentioned the difficulty of doing a hospital level sanitizing for an entire football stadium,

That stumped me. If the vast majority of a stadium sits empty for at least a week between games—well, at least five days from Monday to a Thursday game—and open to the elements, why would you need to sanitize the whole stadium?

Maybe I’m being dumb, missing something obvious, but I wanted to ask.

Edit: I suppose that I should add that the last I looked, the virus was thought to be inactive after three days, and exposure to the elements hastens that process. But I haven’t looked that up in a while.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
And I haven't seen anything like that to this point, which makes me wonder how this will go.

I don't think anybody has any idea how this will go and that's why it's important to get started early. By coming back by June 15, there will be more time to develop best practices and see what possible infection rates really look like. Teams will hopefully be more willing to test and hold out players if an outbreak happens to occur during the summer than an outbreak in the fall. Just showing up in the fall with a quick ramp-up to games seems like asking for a disaster.

And it seems likely that the controlled environment of a sports team might be less risk over the summer than these players back home and out in each of their communities with things opening up in various places. If some of these ADs team up with their medical schools it also might be a pretty good group for testing and transmission research.

The only question is if it's looking like this wasn't a good idea, would the conferences really pull the plug with all the money at stake.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

The only thing I'm finding on ISU saying the R-value is 1.6 is from April 14th. Have they been keeping it updated? Where are you getting your numbers?

The USA numbers have been falling pretty consistently, so I find it hard to believe there are 24 states that are still over 1.0. https://rt.live/

0.8 to 0.9 means we still have a ways to go before this is extinguished and there can always be flair ups, but the distancing has helped substantially.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The only thing I'm finding on ISU saying the R-value is 1.6 is from April 14th. Have they been keeping it updated? Where are you getting your numbers?

The USA numbers have been falling pretty consistently, so I find it hard to believe there are 24 states that are still over 1.0. https://rt.live/

0.8 to 0.9 means we still have a ways to go before this is extinguished and there can always be flair ups, but the distancing has helped substantially.
I took DART into downtown Des Moines yesterday. Out of the 25 or 30 people riding the bus down and back home, myself and one other person were the only ones wearing masks.

People who clearly hadn’t seen one another in a while were bumping fists, shaking hands, and even hugging. No one was observing social distancing. Looked like they were intentionally sitting near other people—the long standing herd mentality.

There are signs and recorded reminders all over the place. If people insist on being that dumb, this damn virus isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I don't think anybody has any idea how this will go and that's why it's important to get started early. By coming back by June 15, there will be more time to develop best practices and see what possible infection rates really look like. Teams will hopefully be more willing to test and hold out players if an outbreak happens to occur during the summer than an outbreak in the fall. Just showing up in the fall with a quick ramp-up to games seems like asking for a disaster.

And it seems likely that the controlled environment of a sports team might be less risk over the summer than these players back home and out in each of their communities with things opening up in various places. If some of these ADs team up with their medical schools it also might be a pretty good group for testing and transmission research.

The only question is if it's looking like this wasn't a good idea, would the conferences really pull the plug with all the money at stake.
I remember seeing numbers earlier on how much revenue comes from ticket sales, and it was a lot, so beyond even playing how do they generate the revenue needed? Just seems like a super spreader type event.

Still more questions than answers and I guess it will be that way through the summer.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I remember seeing numbers earlier on how much revenue comes from ticket sales, and it was a lot, so beyond even playing how do they generate the revenue needed? Just seems like a super spreader type event.

Still more questions than answers and I guess it will be that way through the summer.

Yeah, we'll see. The one thing it has going for it is it's outside. There's so much we still don't have a great handle like what is transmission if everybody wears masks and is outside.

Maybe they think of alternatives like let a fraction in the stadium, then charge people some amount to watch a big screen projection from their own car, drive-in movie style.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Right now, it's $$$ that is driving it and they're trying to figure out the safety protocol - which seems to be secondary. There could be some huge lawsuits if players fall ill.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Right now, it's $$$ that is driving it and they're trying to figure out the safety protocol - which seems to be secondary. There could be some huge lawsuits if players fall ill.
What would be the basis of the lawsuit. The inherent risks are pretty well known at this point.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
What would be the basis of the lawsuit. The inherent risks are pretty well known at this point.
Maybe our legal people can weigh in, but the risks aren't totally known and the liability aspect is definitely unknown.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I took DART into downtown Des Moines yesterday. Out of the 25 or 30 people riding the bus down and back home, myself and one other person were the only ones wearing masks.

People who clearly hadn’t seen one another in a while were bumping fists, shaking hands, and even hugging. No one was observing social distancing. Looked like they were intentionally sitting near other people—the long standing herd mentality.

There are signs and recorded reminders all over the place. If people insist on being that dumb, this damn virus isn’t going anywhere any time soon.
Taking a DART bus sounds like about the worst idea ever. WTF made you do that?