Officiating Blunder at end of CU game

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Assuming the play clock is official. We did not get the last play off by about 2 full seconds. Should have been a dead ball penalty and we run the final play from the 6.
Another problem with us getting the play off, but in this case it may have worked out in our favor.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I wonder if there would have been any complaining from Colorado if we ended up getting in on that play. I don't think they could have reviewed the play, but after what happened last year in Ames, I'm sure the Buffs would have been extra upset.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
imagine the drama if we were to punch that end after it should have been a penalty. The clocks must of been messed up because we didn't get the ball snapped for a longed time after it expired.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Had the officials called us for delay of game,.......would not CU have declined? Game over? I know a game cannot end on a defensive penalty but it can end a offensive penalty.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Had the officials called us for delay of game,.......would not CU have declined? Game over? I know a game cannot end on a defensive penalty but it can end a offensive penalty.

I believe delay of game is a dead-ball foul so they wouldn't have the option to decline. Yes, the game can end on an offesive penalty.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006

They could still decline, but there it was a dead ball penalty so the clock shouldn't have started, so we play it from inside the 1.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Isn't there some rule about running 5 seconds off the clock for an offensive penalty in the final minute?

Or am I just imagining that?

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I hate to bring this up again, but I will. How many coaches would have said to their O-Lines "get a one yard push and we win the game" and then ran a QB sneek? 99% ? And of that 99%, how many teams win that game with that play? 85%?

I still don't understand the call. I just don't. I want to believe that our coaches are the right guys for the job but THAT one call is driving me crazy. I really need to stop thinking about it.

Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: CY ST8T

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I hate to bring this up again, but I will. How many coaches would have said to their O-Lines "get a one yard push and we win the game" and then ran a QB sneek? 99% ? And of that 99%, how many teams win that game with that play? 85%?

I still don't understand the call. I just don't. I want to believe that our coaches are the right guys for the job but THAT one call is driving me crazy. I really need to stop thinking about it.

Sorry for the rant.

Andy Reid didn't do it last night...

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, he ran Westbrook twice. Not the sneek. How did that turn out for him?

If he would have had the Giant's OL, it would have worked out fine for him. There's a little thing called personnel that makes every situation different. How can so many people forget the number of times over the past several years that our OL has been unable to get a push on the LOS?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If he would have had the Giant's OL, it would have worked out fine for him. There's a little thing called personnel that makes every situation different. How can so many people forget the number of times over the past several years that our OL has been unable to get a push on the LOS?

Or the number of times this year we've failed to do so. Didn't we have a failed goal line stand against Kent State? I'm seriously asking because that's the one game I didn't see.

CloneCubbie

Sep 14, 2007
Gods Country (Ames), Iowa
Would have far rather lost the game with a QB sneak, hell, even a draw, old school fb dive, anything except for an option... it's rare even in a game that we get a yard with the option.

It reminds me of the okie state game. We were running all over the place, then we pull out some stupid double reverse trying to get fancy and screw it up... stick with what works. Pound it up the middle, if our line can't get a one foot push, then we deserve to lose the game and I'll go away. Stupid call, end of story.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
So we should have gone with a pass? We aren't a running team either...

We had 188 yards rushing Sat. IMO, we were controlling the LOS in that aspect of the game quite well. I don't understand in such a situation why, when you need about 18 inches, you take the ball off the line 6 yards? Nothing about that makes sense to me. I was looking for the sneak but would have preferred to have Scales in there with our FB lead.

Regardless, we're losing our minds over one play folks. The loss of this game cannot be laid at the feet of the offense. We just aren't going to outgun many teams and the fact that we gave up 4 TDs in the second half is where the problems lie.

Our inability to a) get pressure b) get pressure even when blitzing c) can't stick with a receiver for more than 3 seconds, if we're with him from the snap ... are problems #1, 2 and 3 right now. Most of what's wrong with the '08 Clones is on THAT side of the ball. Not the offense.

Maybe McFarland made some gaffs. Maybe. But Bolt really needs to get his and his crews' act together ASAP.

Last edited: