Faithful Fans

TheCity

Jul 8, 2008
The City, VA to CA
The one thing that really drew me to the Cyclones and your program was the loyalty that you, the fans show to your coaches, the pride that you show in your team, and the excitement that you've shown towards your athletes. We were hoping to get a taste of that excitement 1st hand this Saturday as you face off with Mizzou.

Forget about the rumors and just stand behind your team! If you didn't hear coach say it, then he didn't say it! That's the mentality you should have. I finally got the chance to watch you guys play last Saturday because the game was on vs. Out here. And I will say this, given the fact that the team is so young, I think you guys did great! I know expectations are always high, but I believe ISU and the coaches there are on the right path!

Keep fighting and end the season on the highest note possible. Don't let foolishness damage the character and standard that you've worked hard to build!!! Big game this week, we're excited!!!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I appreciate the outside perspective.

However, having been an ISU fan for longer than 5 minutes, I reserve the right to feel how I wish toward the football team/program and be underwhelmed with the progress thus far.

I like the possibility of the future, but I have seen little to believe it's probable right now.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I'm going to the Mizzou game. In fact, it is the first game I've been able to make all season.

Despite the poor season. Despite being against a very good Mizzou team. Despite the high temp of the day being predicted at 38 F. Despite me not being a happy fan. Depite all of that, I'm going. I think a lot of other fans will too. You don't have to be happy to go. Just go.

Reactions: ISUFan22

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
I wish more fans had your perspective, TheCity. Once we start turning close losses into wins, people will be pretty excited.

As for the crazy rumors, coaches spread rumors like that all the time to help them in recruiting. For example, some coaches used to tell Michigan recruits that Lloyd Carr had Parkinson's and wouldn't be coaching much longer. That's the dirty part of recruiting.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
As for the crazy rumors, coaches spread rumors like that all the time to help them in recruiting. For example, some coaches used to tell Michigan recruits that Lloyd Carr had Parkinson's and wouldn't be coaching much longer. That's the dirty part of recruiting.

Quite true.

***Conspiracy theory alert***

Isn't Oklahoma State recruiting one of the same players we are really trying to get?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
However, having been an ISU fan for longer than 5 minutes, I reserve the right to feel how I wish...

I'm really not sure he realizes how rude that sounds. :no: My apologies on behalf of my fellow Cyclone fans.

The one thing that really drew me to the Cyclones and your program was the loyalty that you, the fans show to your coaches, the pride that you show in your team, and the excitement that you've shown towards your athletes. We were hoping to get a taste of that excitement 1st hand this Saturday as you face off with Mizzou.

You're humbling us. Thank you. I wish we were that good.

Forget about the rumors and just stand behind your team! If you didn't hear coach say it, then he didn't say it!
Thank you. I think that most of us here don't care about the rumors, and are trying to stand by Gene Chizik, regardless.

I think this team has a bright future, and relize that building is a process. I have to point out, though, that any woman can tell you that giving birth to new life is a rather painful process. :yes:

Reactions: kkise and clonez

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
At any rate though, my frustration with ISU FB has nothing to do with the rumors surrounding Gene's alleged comments.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
However, having been an ISU fan for longer than 5 minutes, I reserve the right to feel how I wish toward the football team/program and be underwhelmed with the progress thus far.

Yes, this is a very rude thing to say. TheCity just said he thinks we're better than we (at least the loud ones on the message board) think we are. Geesh.

I too am still excited about where our program is headed. I am disappointed we didn't see more progress from last year to this year, but I still know Gene is the man for the job. As you said, until I hear it directly from his mouth, then I don't care about these rumors.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Outsiders come in here all the time, telling us how we should feel, etc. I won't feel bad about disagreeing with it.

klerme

Apr 11, 2006

Forget about the rumors and just stand behind your team! If you didn't hear coach say it, then he didn't say it! That's the mentality you should have. I finally got the chance to watch you guys play last Saturday because the game was on vs. Out here. And I will say this, given the fact that the team is so young, I think you guys did great! I know expectations are always high, but I believe ISU and the coaches there are on the right path!

Keep fighting and end the season on the highest note possible. Don't let foolishness damage the character and standard that you've worked hard to build!!! Big game this week, we're excited!!!

Thanks and believe me, I'll be there. I was just as frustrated as everyone regarding the last play of the game, but once everyone takes a step back and realizes that our offense had over 400 yds with some pretty well designed plays, they may start to step back off the ledge. This isn't Madden or NCAA 08, so not every play is going to work.

We are slowly getting players in place, but right now, our only true NFL-potential caliber players are the ones that were brought in the past two years (except Lamaack and maybe Arnaud). Including Money, I think that this year's recruiting will add another 4-6 potential NFL players (LJ, Benton, SJ, Darks, Haughton and Bo last year).

With LJ, Benton, Ruempolhamer and Black (when healthy), we have a chance for a solid foundation on D, we now need LBs, DEs and another S and DT recruit. On offense, Darks, SJ, Collin Franklin, Bo Williams, A-Rob, KO, Haughton, Lamaack and Arnaud provide a good foundation and with Money our jr and under group next year will be solid with more explosiveness than we have seen at ISU in years. The o-line has been getting better and the experience will help so that our skill players can shine.

Our fans will definitely keep the faith in this team and in the future of ISU FB!! We look forward to seeing you and your family at the game!

Reactions: Aclone

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Outsiders come in here all the time, telling us how we should feel, etc. I won't feel bad about disagreeing with it.

You don't have to feel bad about disagreeing, but in immediate response where you belittle their opinion isn't really the best way to go.

Reactions: Aclone

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Interesting. 12 posts on this thread. Eight positive or netural, four negative - all four posted by 22.

We're all frustrated and had higher expectations for '08. But I hope we're all in the stands for Missouri and Money. If Iowa can beat PSU, ISU can put some pressure on and maybe pull something out against Missouri. We've seen how we play when it's clicking.

Another year of development and the system, returning tons from the two deeps, a few recruits that are ready to play right away, and things change dramatically. See you at JTS this weekend!

Reactions: Balrog and kcclones

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Interesting. 12 posts on this thread. Eight positive or netural, four negative - all four posted by 22.

I know...funny how that comment about appreciating his comments or the thought that OSU may be doing this in order to get Money conveniently got ignored.

We're 2-8...it's not very rosy around here...but some would like everyone to think it is. If fans were not seriously upset - then I'd be extra concerned.

My frustration here (with this Money situation) could be a bit misdirected that many fans believe him to be the 2nd coming or something - when ISU still struggled with the most basics of football functions - blocking and tackling.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
I know...funny how that comment about appreciating his comments or the thought that OSU may be doing this in order to get Money conveniently got ignored.

We're 2-8...it's not very rosy around here...but some would like everyone to think it is. If fans were not seriously upset - then I'd be extra concerned.

My frustration here (with this Money situation) could be a bit misdirected that many fans believe him to be the 2nd coming or something - when ISU still struggled with the most basics of football functions - blocking and tackling.

Maybe we should just be 100% negative in every post....One thing we have going for us is our fan support. TheCity posted to be positive and within 5 minutes the thread was hijacked with negativity.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
In all honesty, I think TheCity's opinion may actually be more accurate that us Cyclone fans'. He is able to (at least partially) watch the game objectively, and possibly even critically since he is considering where he would want his brother to go and grow as a football player.

After the game yesterday I felt like my heart got ripped out and I was so friggin' pissed. We are all emotionally invested in this and that can often make things seem better or worse than they actually are.

I like these 'outsider' opinions. I think it helps even things out for us.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Maybe we should just be 100% negative in every post....One thing we have going for us is our fan support. TheCity posted to be positive and within 5 minutes the thread was hijacked with negativity.

I find it highly ironic that some of you are so focused on this "negativity" and not focusing on the positive.

If it's so bad as a few of you think, just ignore it. You chose to derail, not I. :wink: