Nicest Golf Course You’ve Played

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
TPC Scottsdale for me. Hot as balls the day I was there and they had a deal about golfing during the scorching hours, like noon to 5.
Lived in Scottsdale for 5 months, over the summer, and that is when I played all of my courses. Cheap rates (comparative to usual) for top-tier courses in sunny weather, I would've kicked myself if I didn't take advantage of it, luckily I did. Missing it now especially with this whole situation lol.

Reactions: JP4CY

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Interlachen in Minneapolis, very nice but private
Wolf Creek -Mesquite NV -most jaw-dropping holes we've played
Osage National is a favorite and played with a group of us every year in the Ozarks
My buddies and I have been talking for a couple years now about putting together a Wolf Creek trip. Would you say it is worth it? Obviously it looks fascinating and beautiful in the photos/videos, but curious to hear your thoughts on it.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
The Broadmoor East course was spectacular. Hardest greens I've ever putted.

Other good ones
Kapalua (picture attached)
cherry hills
Red Sky Ranch

Attachments

• kap.jpg
    kap.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 11

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Haven't played a ton of golf but so far the best has been the General in Galena.
Played that around 25 years ago. Gotta take a cart, very hilly... left a few golf balls behind in some back yards ...

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
Just played PGA West Stadium in February. Probably the hardest course I’ve played and 30mph wind didn’t help.

I don’t get the love for Eagle Ridge/The General. Played there last June and didn’t think it was that great. Spirit Hollow is tops for me in Iowa.

4A2FBACE-16CA-4637-8374-EA25839321FB.jpeg 1490C369-720B-4682-A384-1DB87FC496F3.jpeg

Reactions: TruClone and drlove

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Bushwood. Some people called it a "dump".

Seriously - Played Glen Oaks years ago (my boss lives along the 13th fairway), a gorgeous course called Silver Springs in SE Wisconsin, and the Eagle River Golf Course in NE Wisconsin (dubbed "The Augusta of the North"). Here's a pic of #11, their sifnature hole:

Most of the fairways are like this - if you are not on the fairway, there's really no "advancing" the ball. You just hope you can get it back in the open again. o_O

Here's a pic looking from the 9th tee:

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Just played PGA West Stadium in February. Probably the hardest course I’ve played and 30mph wind didn’t help.

I don’t get the love for Eagle Ridge/The General. Played there last June and didn’t think it was that great. Spirit Hollow is tops for me in Iowa.

View attachment 71345 View attachment 71346
Played PGA a few years ago (no wind) and agree with your

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Looks like from google earth it's just housing with big yards now? How long ago did the course cease to exist?
Honestly I am not sure. About 5-7 years ago my old man and I were back in Ames for a weekend in the spring. Went out there to play a round and had no clue about it changing and was confused as hell thinking I didn’t remember where it was. Finally a saw a Flag in a back yard presumably where a green used to be and thought ok, I guess where going to Homewood, I hope at least that one is still there.

Reactions: mj4cy

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
My Dad worked at NCR most of my childhood and we were members for several years. Great courses.
Went out there to visit a couple buddies in Piqua for some golf and one of them got a voucher in a tournament for a 4some to play there. Unfortunately we got in 9 holes and got rained out. The first 9 was awesome though

Reactions: ianoconnor

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Went to a wedding reception at Whistling Straights. Didn’t golf but got a picture of Tiger Woods locker. Overhead guys talking and one guy said if I ever think about golfing here again don’t let me. It looked beautiful but ridiculous tough.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Just realized I haven't played golf anywhere noteworthy....Echo Valley in Norwalk? Cold Water Canyon in WI? Couple nice public places in Fort Lauderdale area....need to get out more apparently.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
My buddies and I have been talking for a couple years now about putting together a Wolf Creek trip. Would you say it is worth it? Obviously it looks fascinating and beautiful in the photos/videos, but curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Wolf Creek is a bit of an enigma. Some people HATE HATE HATE it, others absolutely love it. It is definitely not a typical golf track.

It's worth the trip to play it at least one time. There are some pretty jaw dropping views. It is not for the timid - one of my friends is deathly afraid of heights and he was turning green on the back nine. He literally crawled down the stairs from the #2 tee box (which drops off on three sides).

It's in the middle of nowhere, but there are a couple other decent courses in Mesquite as well. It's only an hour and a half from Vegas, and St. George is just up the road to go play Sand Hollow.

I have no idea how much earth they moved to create Wolf Creek, but it had to be measured in s**t-tons.

Reactions: srjclone

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Augusta National. My brother's roommate from college had a birthday party and invited me and my brother to play. His dad is a member.

I'm S*** at golf, but I couldn't pass it up. Likely a once in a lifetime opportunity.

We've never met, but you're dead to me.

I'm going to sit over here and sob for awhile.

Reactions: Scott34

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha

I think the group thought it was awesome, it was around $230 -so more than we're usually spending out there -though we do pay ~$130 to play Pauite a couple days each time we go to Vegas. It was in great shape (March 12th ish) and had the most photo ops of any course I've played, for sure, definitely worth it -maybe can get a better rate in the summer?

Reactions: srjclone