What on earth are the ISU DBs doing?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
No, this is not a CU post game thread, this is a on going mess. I know the DL is not getting any pressure, but, holy layup drill, the pass coverage looks like a Keystone Cops movie. Today all 4 TDs and the two point conversion were to guys so wide open, they had to be laughing. OSU did the same thing several times last week. I realize that the team is a little short on talent, but the young talented guys are absolutely lost out there. Aren't there some less talented guys that won't double cover one guy and let the other one run free?

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
In short, they are not doing much.

All opposing teams have to do is cross their routes and our dbs get confused.

It really makes us look high school-esque...

CST8WIN

Sep 24, 2007
We have DBs on our team:confused:

I would understand if we were just getting beat or the receivers just out fight us for the ball, but they are throwing it to completely wide open receivers, not a defender in the area, and it happens game after game. I am placing a good chunk on the coaching on this one, in a zone defense you have to coach players on where to be and when.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Our safeties are getting burned. Our Db's lost their man a couple times today. Not a very good day.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Can they cross a street safely? The whole middle of the field remains a siieve. The sands of time are almost expired. Oh look, there goes another completion. Must be nightmare to the safeties. Mmaybe we should instead call them TD gatekeepers. I still think JJ Bass should play safety for a couple of series. It might be an upgrade.

Lenny25

Jan 2, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Can they cross a street safely? The whole middle of the field remains a siieve. The sands of time are almost expired. Oh look, there goes another completion. Must be nightmare to the safeties. Mmaybe we should instead call them TD gatekeepers. I still think JJ Bass should play safety for a couple of series. It might be an upgrade.

That entire defense is abolutely horrible.

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I still find it hard to believe that with the talent JJ Bass has, how he doesnt see the field?

Cymon

Apr 10, 2006
Ankeny
No, this is not a CU post game thread, this is a on going mess. I know the DL is not getting any pressure, but, holy layup drill, the pass coverage looks like a Keystone Cops movie. Today all 4 TDs and the two point conversion were to guys so wide open, they had to be laughing. OSU did the same thing several times last week. I realize that the team is a little short on talent, but the young talented guys are absolutely lost out there. Aren't there some less talented guys that won't double cover one guy and let the other one run free?

What on earth are the ISU DB's doing?

Being Freshmen.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
year in year out, same old story... Mac's teams were just as bad with the bend don't break philosophy... our db's would give so much cushion that every pass play was at least an automatic 5 yard pickup. And we had talent... remember Ellis Hobbs?

You would think that maybe we would change our tactics when EVERY team completes 80 percent of their passes against us and moves the ball at will down the field. Next week vs Missouri will be a disaster.

Cymon

Apr 10, 2006
Ankeny
year in year out, same old story... Mac's teams were just as bad with the bend don't break philosophy... our db's would give so much cushion that every pass play was at least an automatic 5 yard pickup. And we had talent... remember Ellis Hobbs?

You would think that maybe we would change our tactics when EVERY team completes 80 percent of their passes against us and moves the ball at will down the field. Next week vs Missouri will be a disaster.

Exactly. After Mac left we were full of DB's that were awesome. We should be killing the Big 12with our pass prowess.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I watched the DVR of the game this morning (couldn't watch it live). Brandon Hunley got abused so many times in the second half that it was mind-numbing.

Abused as in, he was nowhere to be found after he had blown his assignment.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
He has hurt the team in other games when he dropped interceptions that he should have caught for game changers. He is apparently the best we have. He appears also to be too slow to catch anyone in the open.He does not tackle much. He has gained lots of life's lessons.

So can we switch our roster for missouri. I heard that Chase Daniel likes to throw to the open zone.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Our coverage is catch and tackle. We don't actually defend the pass. We only prepare to tackle after the catch. And tackling after the catch isn't something we are good at either.

Reactions: kingcy

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
In short, 1. After just getting him back, (apparently) Chris Brown was hurt...again. That's an immense loss--and has been all season. 2. Leonard Johnson was a high school quarterback a year ago.

Is that a good start for you?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
In short, 1. After just getting him back, (apparently) Chris Brown was hurt...again. That's an immense loss--and has been all season. 2. Leonard Johnson was a high school quarterback a year ago.

Is that a good start for you?

So are you trying to lead us to believe this is his first year of playing defense?

:biglaugh:

Don't most kids in HS play both offense and defense - especially the talented ones?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I thoughty LJ played both sides of the ball in high school like most good players do.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So are you trying to lead us to believe this is his first year of playing defense?

:biglaugh:

Don't most kids in HS play both offense and defense - especially the talented ones?

So, when you don't know something, you assume someone is wrong?

Ellis Hobbs didn't play defense in high school. Jordan Bernstine didn't play defense in high school.

Here's Leonard's experience from last year:

tallied 13 tackles and one interception on defense ...

Leonard Johnson - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - Iowa State Cyclones Sports

Yeah, that sounds like he played a whole bunch of cornerback...:skeptical:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
So one year tells ya all you need to know? Ok.

And I love how you continue to go back to LJ being a QB last year every time our secondary is brought up. LJ is clearly not the issue - but hey - you can't say the same type of stuff about our safeties...so you've gotta spin it the "best" you can.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
We're 10 games into the season and haven't seen any improvement. Something is not right here. They are not getting any better. The coaches either don't know what they are doing, or cannot communicate with them well. Problems either way. You can't blame it on a lack of physical talent when we're not within 10 yards of the ball. It's upstairs.