RECRUITING: What I'm hearing ... 4-11-20 PM update

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No it’s alright to use that. I just think any opinion or wording of anything right now will get criticized because of the current state of the program.
I agree. We have 4 roster spots open and realistically need two guys in order for next year's team to be significantly better than last year's. No DeJulius was not averaging 25 at Michigan, but his list of schools are all P5 and most have been solid recently. The same goes for Kier. We're not in the position to be talking down some of these guys. We need help and there aren't unreal players transferring left and right, especially this year.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I think he'll be a solid player for us but I was quoting someone comparing him to an NBA player. Seems a bit premature.
An NBA player that played overseas for 2 years before getting his shot on a 2-way contract?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Johnson average 10.4 in the Sunbelt. Not sure expecting him to increase that in the big 12 is realistic.

We hear that all the time about transfers and jucos. Weirdly it’s pretty common for them to do better after sitting out and having a better supporting cast. Obviously we’ve had some do worse as well. But we’ve had enough do better.

Reactions: heitclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We hear that all the time about transfers and jucos. Weirdly it’s pretty common for them to do better after sitting out and having a better supporting cast. Obviously we’ve had some do worse as well. But we’ve had enough do better.

Abdel Nader is really the only guy who I can really think of who came from a program below a high-major who got significantly better/was a useful piece at Iowa State.

Some guys can from poor high-major programs (e.g., Chris Babb from Penn State and Will Clyburn from Utah), but those were at least Big Ten and Pac-12 schools.

Reactions: Halincandenza

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Abdel Nader is really the only guy who I can really think of who came from a program below a high-major who got significantly better/was a useful piece at Iowa State.

Some guys can from poor high-major programs (e.g., Chris Babb from Penn State and Will Clyburn from Utah), but those were at least Big Ten and Pac-12 schools.
DeAndre Kane as well.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Sometimes a new coach, system, and supporting cast makes all the difference. Sometimes sitting out a year helps them improve a lot.

And sometimes they just are what they are.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Like who? Jacobson is the only one I can think of that benefited from a better supporting cast, but he transferred from a comparable P5 roster/schedule, not a midmajor.

Which of Nixon, Beverly, Brase, Talley, Bowie, or Holden did better? Gulp. Going back to Hoiberg transfers, Nadar (first year here, not senior year), BDJ (he was on a talented UNLV team), Booker, Edozie (juco’s really shouldn’t be in this sample) didn’t exactly do better their first year in the Big 12.

Anderson, 10 years ago, under a different staff did better. Kane was obviously much better. Clyburn was similar, but not the same as going from Troy to ISU.

All that said, I’m optimistic Johnson will improve in his off year, and we get something close to what he put up at Troy. Adjusting for tempo and minutes per game.

Reactions: Statefan10

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
DeAndre Kane as well.

Good point -- I was only thinking of guys who took redshirts.

Every transfer since 2010 from a non-P6 school...

Darion "Jake" Anderson
Anthony Booker

DeAndre Kane
Abdel Nader

---
Darrell Bowie

Merrill Holden
Hans Brase
Jeff Beverly
Zoran Talley
Prentiss Nixon
Javan Johnson

I think the only undeniable hits there are Nader and Kane.

Anderson, Booker, and Bowie were okay, so I italicized them. You could maybe make a case for Talley here... maybe... and we do not know about Johnson.

That is not a list with a high batting average, however.

Here is the same list for guys from high-majors...

Chris Allen
Chris Babb
Royce White
Korie Lucious
Will Clyburn
Jameel McKay
Bryce Dejean-Jones
Deonte Burton
Hallice Cooke
---
Nick Weiler-Babb (sort of a tweener between regimes, assign how you want to)
---
Ray Kasongo
Marial Shayok
Michael Jacobson

I would say basically everybody up there is a hit save Cooke and Kasongo. Yes, I would include Jacobson, though BDJ could certainly be a little boom-bust.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
You could maybe make a case for Talley here... maybe... and we do not know about Johnson.

A guy like Talley would be a great piece for next season; he held his own in B12 play and actually handled the ball at times when needed.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Nader is not a fair example. He was first-team all state in Illinois and only went to a low level school because he didn't have the grades and bigger teams didn't think he'd qualify. Heck his coach at Northern was recruiting Nader to when he was an assistant at Mich St.

Nader was always viewed as a big time talent.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron