RECRUITING: What I'm hearing ... 4-11-20 PM update

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
It appears we just reached out today. The Kier report comes within hours of DeJulius announcing a decision time and everything points to Cincy.

What is the "everything" that points to Cincy? I understand the crystal ball and announcement of his decision, btw.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
This is all hypothetical until we land either of them, but DeJulius fixes our PG problem, and Kier fixes our wing problem. He'd start at the 3, Bolton at the 2, Johnson at the 4, and Solomon at the 5.

Off the bench, you have Conditt and Jackson, with 2 of the freshman contributing to some extent (Foster and Blackwell/Dubar).

Steve doesn't often go deep into the bench. He only does so if he absolutely has to. Say we land those two guys.. We have our starting 5 set, we already have Conditt and Jackson as nice bench guys, and then we're expecting 2 of the freshman to contribute some. That's 9 guys right there. That team isn't winning the Big 12 title or anything, but they'll for sure be competitive. Adding anyone after these two transfers would certainly help, but I don't think we need more than those two to simply be a competitive team.
Good reasoning. (Not being sarcastic) I think it’s closer to a home run if Dejulius is immediately eligible.

Dejulius
Bolton
Kier
Johnson
Young
6. Tre
7. Foster
8. Conditt
9. Dubar
10. Blackwell
11. Walker

Hopefully that roster has enough shooters. Some of those guys would need to shoot it better this year than they did last year.

Now all of this might be irrelevant if Dejulius chooses Cincy like it seems to be trending towards.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
The more I look at next year's roster, the more it reminds me of 2014 Baylor
Cherry = Bolton
Heslip = Tre Jackson (If he figures out the quickness of the game)
Oneal = Javon
Jefferson = Conditt
Austin = Xavier.

Reactions: isu83

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Cherry = Bolton
Oneal = Javon
Jefferson = Conditt
Austin = Xavier.

They are alike in that they are both basketball teams.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Cherry = Bolton
Oneal = Javon
Jefferson = Conditt
Austin = Xavier.
From a physical and skill standpoint, they are very different. From a position standpoint, they are similar.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Cherry = Bolton
Oneal = Javon
Jefferson = Conditt
Austin = Xavier.

You've got Javon Johnson, a guy who hasn't played a minute here on par with Royce O'neal, an NBA player?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Cherry = Bolton
Oneal = Javon
Jefferson = Conditt
Austin = Xavier.

I see alot of 96 Bulls in them

Jordan = Bolton
Pippen = Javon
Rodman = Conditt
Ron Harper= Jackson
Longley = Xavier

Reactions: huntt26

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Good reasoning. (Not being sarcastic) I think it’s closer to a home run if Dejulius is immediately eligible.

Dejulius
Bolton
Kier
Johnson
Young
6. Tre
7. Foster
8. Conditt
9. Dubar
10. Blackwell
11. Walker

Hopefully that roster has enough shooters. Some of those guys would need to shoot it better this year than they did last year.

Now all of this might be irrelevant if Dejulius chooses Cincy like it seems to be trending towards.

All you did was put down the roster names in support of your statement that it would be a home run...

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
You've got Javon Johnson, a guy who hasn't played a minute here on par with Royce O'neal, an NBA player?
O'neal only averaged 11.5 points that year. If Javon isn't doing that we are in bigger trouble than even the Prohm haters are predicting.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I think players like Kier read our board and say "Let's make Iowa State fans think they have a shot and then I will tell them no". Just kidding but it kind of feels like that.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
All you did was put down the roster names in support of your statement that it would be a home run...
I’m not the one who said it would be a home run to add those guys. I said if Dejulius was immediately eligible and you got Kier it would be CLOSER to a home run but still needs more work.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
O'neal only averaged 11.5 points that year. If Javon isn't doing that we are in bigger trouble than even the Prohm haters are predicting.

Johnson average 10.4 in the Sunbelt. Not sure expecting him to increase that in the big 12 is realistic.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Johnson average 10.4 in the Sunbelt. Not sure expecting him to increase that in the big 12 is realistic.
He doesn't have to surpass 10.4 ppg for him to be a good player for us. If he's the second leading scorer, then we're having issues, but if he's the 3rd or 4th, then that'd be a solid piece.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
He doesn't have to surpass 10.4 ppg for him to be a good player for us. If he's the second leading scorer, then we're having issues, but if he's the 3rd or 4th, then that'd be a solid piece.

I think he'll be a solid player for us but I was quoting someone comparing him to an NBA player. Seems a bit premature.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’m not the one who said it would be a home run to add those guys. I said if Dejulius was immediately eligible and you got Kier it would be CLOSER to a home run but still needs more work.
Getting those two guys would be very very good. If the word homerun is too much emphasis, then we don't have to use that term.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think he'll be a solid player for us but I was quoting someone comparing him to an NBA player. Seems a bit premature.
Definitely pre-mature. There were mentions of him possibly having the ability to play in the NBA, but that's all determined by next year. If he ends up being a very good all around player, we fix that problem of having to find a go to guy.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Getting those two guys would be very very good. If the word homerun is too much emphasis, then we don't have to use that term.
No it’s alright to use that. I just think any opinion or wording of anything right now will get criticized because of the current state of the program.

Help Support Us

Become a patron