Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEPatriotscy

Sep 3, 2006
Are you under the impression that everybody under a strict SIP magically develops some sort of immunity? Or that anybody previously infected can’t spread the organism under a strict SIP? I can’t seem to find anything you’ve posted that comes close to anything based in scientific fact.
Are you denying that the more that social distancing is enforced, the fewer the cases? By following those strong steps right from the start, social distancing would be much greater and the number of cases would be far fewer in my opinion.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Fewer than 100 cases by now is an educated guess if everything except grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, law enforcement, and perhaps hardware stores closed at the beginning. I realize that would be "painful" but I would take short term pain for long term gain.

Educated guess by whom? Cause it sure seems anyone can throw out a guess based on what they feel would happen. Without data to collaborate it, that guess doesn't mean much of anything.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Are you denying that the more that social distancing is enforced, the fewer the cases? By following those strong steps right from the start, social distancing would be much greater and the number of cases would be far fewer in my opinion.
Yeah I’m denying it, because there’s not a single model that shows that. If you want to put yourself in the camp that thinks the stricter the measures taken, the shorter the duration of the outbreak, you’ll have plenty of company.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Checked back in at the end of the day, read a couple pages. See we are still yipping about wording on SIP.

I compare this to when I worked for somebody else. They talked about titles and I told them they could shove the title and just give me pay, could call me the company ahole if they wanted to. It's apparent here that there are a lot of title mongers concerned about the SIP,

Here's the thing though. In this case, messaging does matter. Conveying the right level of emphasis on this issue matters. She could have instituted a stay at home order that does exactly what the current orders have 2 weeks ago and it would have been more effective because it comes across as an order and not just a suggestion to average people. We're seeing it in the mobility data, when you compare us to MN\IL who have those orders, where theyve seen greater decreases than here. And it makes no sense why she wouldnt've just taken the more effective route.

NEPatriotscy

Sep 3, 2006
Educated guess by whom? Cause it sure seems anyone can throw out a guess based on what they feel would happen. Without data to collaborate it, that guess doesn't mean much of anything.
No I don't have data to collaborate it but I'm trying to use logic based on social distancing.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
I still find it odd she's so caught up on the name, even though Fauci directly admitted that what she's doing is functionally the same as a SIP. Just seems stupid, or petty, or misleading...something. I'm not exactly sure what to make of it. Oh well.
Maybe she wants to take a drink every time she hears SIP.

NEPatriotscy

Sep 3, 2006
Yeah I’m denying it, because there’s not a single model that shows that. If you want to put yourself in the camp that thinks the stricter the measures taken, the shorter the duration of the outbreak, you’ll have plenty of company.
Okay, since you're denying it then I don't know what else to tell you. I'm not saying the duration will be shorter but only that the number of cases and deaths would be smaller. There will likely be cases into next year but by then there will likely be a reliable therapeutic drug (probably this summer) and a vaccine by early next year. Maybe others will chime in on this argument.

NEPatriotscy

Sep 3, 2006
Also, have you seen what has been happening in Washington State which was the first to report any cases? That governor acted quickly and took very strong measures.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Absentee ballots can not be mailed until April 23rd. You requested an absentee ballot is all that you have done. You may call your Auditors office and see if they received your request.

In Wisconsin, they had to be postmarked today or sooner. I ordered mine two weeks ago and didn't receive it so those folks screwed that part up.

There was a push to have the vote delayed because of this whole 'global pandemic of a disease that could kill anyone' thing like other states but it didn't happen.

So, people had to gather in small spaces inside and get their ballots from workers during a pandemic if they wanted to do something like vote in an election in America.

I'll leave it at that.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Because this thread has moved from being awesome the first 150 pages to the past 150 being an endless recycling of the exact same 5 or 6 posts, I've started a new thread for those of us that want good conversation without politics, SIP, etc crap on loop.

Those of you that want to talk about light politics, SIP, essential vs non-essential, etc - this is now your thread (since it turned into that anyways).

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
This is from March 20. Very old news now. Considering the population, I would say King County (Seattle and surrounding area) is doing very well.
You don't actually think state demographics have changed in 3 weeks do you?

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Because this thread has moved from being awesome the first 150 pages to the past 150 being an endless recycling of the exact same 5 or 6 posts, I've started a new thread for those of us that want good conversation without politics, SIP, etc crap on loop.

Those of you that want to talk about light politics, SIP, essential vs non-essential, etc - this is now your thread (since it turned into that anyways).

These people are discussing issues directly related to the outbreak? Why I never!!!

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Known trails are crowded, rural areas don’t have a lot of medical facilities, search and rescue etc is better off not being deployed.

You think people are just dropping over? It takes days and days before you even get symptoms. Seriously, the closer this gets to home the less worried I become.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

The disscussion is repeating because there is pretty much no new news. It's the same thing now everyday.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
The disscussion is repeating because there is pretty much no new news. It's the same thing now everyday.
How stupid do you have to be to not understand people die in wilderness areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron