Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
This is where they are going to have to be smart. Open up restaurants, bars, and stores first as well as get people back to work that can't telework. Maybe limit the number of people in restaurants (like half full for a while). Do that and wait a few weeks and then try to get people that can telework back to the office. Then wait a while and start up larger gatherings. I worry that everything gets opened up at once. That's not the way to do it.

Totally feasible solution that I tend to agree with. If they're right and the peak is around April 18 or 19 in Iowa, we should be able to start phasing stuff back in by early May.

IMO, there are too many people that are thinking like the poster I originally quoted. We can't and aren't going to stay shutdown like this until there is no risk. We'd be into a significant world-wide depression by then. This includes sports. Leagues, owners and university athletic departments have far too much to lose to not have people walking through the turnstiles come this fall.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Totally feasible solution that I tend to agree with. If they're right and the peak is around April 18 or 19 in Iowa, we should be able to start phasing stuff back in by early May.

IMO, there are too many people that are thinking like the poster I originally quoted. We can't and aren't going to stay shutdown like this until there is no risk. We'd be into a significant world-wide depression by then. This includes sports. Leagues, owners and university athletic departments have far too much to lose to not have people walking through the turnstiles come this fall.

I go back and forth if sports will be back. But the ONLY way there is a chance is if we do this right and not screw up.

The other thing that must happen is more and more testing. I still think there would be a lot of value from mass testing. And we need to figure out the antibody testing as well.

I've said this before but last week and the week before I had a couple of weird things going on. I had a pretty constant sinus headache/pressure and a very weird heavy chest feeling. The sinus pressure could have easily been the weather, but it was more than I usually have. And the chest pressure was like nothing I've ever had, but could have easily been anxiety (even though I've never had chest pressure with anxiety before). I didn't have a fever or a cough. Do I think I had COVID-19? Probably not. But am I sure I didn't have it? Not really. And I think being tested would have been useful and I think being tested for the antibodies would be very useful now. The one person, I know that tested positive had chest pressure and sinus issues (along with a fever).

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do for a living. Your contribution in this thread is spot on.
Don't listen to me, it's probably that I'm not smart enough and need to distill everything down to a simple level.

I work in research in energy. Not really anything specific/technical that applies to COVID, but I'm used to having to understand things done by people that are a lot smarter than I am!

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
People keep missing the forest for the trees here. Set aside the is-it-an-SIP-or-isn't-it question. The real issue is why the governor and her team can't answer simple, direct questions about her own decisions.

Weeks ago, she withheld for days the metrics she kept citing. She finally released them then wouldn't say how they were being used. Days after that, her statewide map and scoring system leaked to the media, showing what would trigger an SIP. Despite direct questions, she will not discuss the methodology behind any of it.

She's asserted that other states have called up asking to use her metrics. She was asked directly which states called. She's given nothing approaching an answer.

At least twice now, she's been asked why she needs these metrics to trigger an SIP when she is arguing we are already under an SIP. She's given nothing approaching an answer.

She didn't like the models that had been made public so she said they're developing their own. (Important side note there, we're weeks into the crisis and they've just now decided it's time to develop a model despite numerous others out there.) She promised results early this week. When asked today, her team said we might get a summary of other models later this week but there is no model of her own coming in the foreseeable future. Almost as if something happened that precluded their need to build their own model.

They withheld for days information on which care facilities (aside from the major one in Linn County) had outbreaks.

I could go on. But look at the big picture. The SIP is one of dozens of questions they won't, or can't, answer.

And this is why I am not a fan of hers. She is not a good communicator among other issues, but some things she gets criticized for are just silly in my mind. I think the actions taken so far are acceptable, maybe a touch on the slow side, but if she could communicate better she could possibly come out of this looking good.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This is where they are going to have to be smart. Open up restaurants, bars, and stores first as well as get people back to work that can't telework. Maybe limit the number of people in restaurants (like half full for a while). Do that and wait a few weeks and then try to get people that can telework back to the office. Then wait a while and start up larger gatherings. I worry that everything gets opened up at once. That's not the way to do it.

I think these are some good ideas. I'd like to see us work back into things. Honestly, I hope one benefit of all this is there is a big push to make teleworking way more common for people that can do so. Short-term it helps this situation, but long-term it seems like it would help a lot of peoples' quality of life. On one hand I'm thinking even if you open things wide open a lot of people will be really gunshy to go out much. On the other hand, people will have so much cabin fever they will be ready to get out and about.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I just said increasing and not rate of increase. Once again, my point is that strong steps needed to be taken very early on in order to avoid several thousand (yes, I know it stands at 1048 now but it will likely reach several thousand) cases and multiple deaths. This is an educated guess on my part, but if she had taken strong steps from the beginning, the number of cases would be less than 100 now.

There's no way that happens. Plenty of people likely contracted this thing and started spreading it before any actions in most places was taken.

Also you have to factor in that people are gonna people and not follow rules, just like they don't slow down driving, or don't drink and drive, not steal, etc.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

How can you open up bars? I don’t see anyway those can open up anytime soon. Maybe at all this year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
How can you open up bars? I don’t see anyway those can open up anytime soon. Maybe at all this year.
Once you start opening things back up, the social distancing of 10 people or less will gradually start increasing to more and more people, just like it was restricted to less people.

Bars will most likely have to religiously start holding their establishments to those capacities though.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think these are some good ideas. I'd like to see us work back into things. Honestly, I hope one benefit of all this is there is a big push to make teleworking way more common for people that can do so. Short-term it helps this situation, but long-term it seems like it would help a lot of peoples' quality of life. On one hand I'm thinking even if you open things wide open a lot of people will be really gunshy to go out much. On the other hand, people will have so much cabin fever they will be ready to get out and about.

A positive of this is it is getting nicer out and people are finding ways to find things to do that aren't reliant on the typical activities that they are always running to, and hopefully finding out a huge crowd with a bunch of stimulation and noise is not needed to feel joy.

Some may even be spending time alone and finding that they can indeed function and even find ways to feel 'whole' in their own space and time.

Selfishly I'm thankful I grew up on a farm on lots of land and it's engrained in me to be content with simple alone time.

It's just awful that it's at the expense of a crisis from so many angles.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Once you start opening things back up, the social distancing of 10 people or less will gradually start increasing to more and more people, just like it was restricted to less people.

Bars will most likely have to religiously start holding their establishments to those capacities though.

Any kind of social distancing will go out the window after a few drinks. Bar owners who missed out on months of revenue are going to skirt any sort of capacity reduction. Bar bathrooms are a perfect breeding ground for spreading this. This is just asking to start another outbreak.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Maybe like a time limit for how long a patron can be in a place? Everyone gets 2 hours to be in a bar, but must drink or at least buy things the whole time, and then they have to leave, and let a new 'flight' in.

Sounds ridiculous, but that would keep money flowing from multiple people.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Any kind of social distancing will go out the window after a few drinks. Bar owners who missed out on months of revenue are going to skirt any sort of capacity reduction. Bar bathrooms are a perfect breeding ground.

FIFY! Hardy har har.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Maybe like a time limit for how long a patron can be in a place? Everyone gets 2 hours to be in a bar, but must drink or at least buy things the whole time, and then they have to leave, and let a new 'flight' in.

Sounds ridiculous, but that would keep money flowing from multiple people.

Yeah that’s going to be easy to track.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah that’s going to be easy to track.

Just spit balling. Not saying it's going to be easy. But if you only allowed in like 5 people at a time, that's something and better than what's happening right now.

If they don't abide by the rules, they get fined or shut down. Just like places that get caught for selling to underage people or whatever.

How you monitor it or track it, I don't know.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Checked back in at the end of the day, read a couple pages. See we are still yipping about wording on SIP.

I compare this to when I worked for somebody else. They talked about titles and I told them they could shove the title and just give me pay, could call me the company ahole if they wanted to. It's apparent here that there are a lot of title mongers concerned about the SIP,

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
@Urbandale2013 While I agree with the thinking that people should be able to maintain distance on trails and it might be safe... I'm coming around to the idea of why parks should be closed in some areas. You quoted this to support keeping parks open but the bolded sentence above explains it best for me. We shouldn't be doing things that cause an atmosphere like "...any other busy weekend/day". That's what we're trying to avoid. If you include people "swarming" to these places because it's something to do then it's going to increase risk of exposure even further. It also increases the odds of needing emergency services like search and rescue and also medical services/treatment for injuries. Those are resources we need to help respond to the pandemic.
thats the thing we are honestly not called out that often for those situations, we had one call to Backbone last year, (Dundee had already responded), Marquette and Mar-Mak ambulance are the busiest with Pikes Pike and Effigy Mounds and even then are maybe once a month during the summer, and mainly for medical issues.

You don’t live out here either do you? They closed the parks because trail heads were crowded and people can’t easily pass each other on narrow mountain trails and weren’t maintaining distance.

You completely missed the point on the rural aspect. They don’t want people mixing with their town to make people sick. They don’t want to use resources that might be needed for the coronavirus. Of course people aren’t at more risk of being called out more than any other busy day. They don’t want to use the resources!
lived out that way and traveled around a bit in SoCal, I know what most of the trail heads are like, spacing can still be done out there, and the brief passing you might have with some one the honest risk of coming into contact is small. and you mean the resources that are already allocated for stuff other then the virus anyway?

NEPatriotscy

Sep 3, 2006
You realize this is a highly communicable disease right? And that cases/positive tests can only go up, right?

And lastly, suggesting that Iowa should have fewer than 100 cases shows you have no idea how any of this works, or what the goals are. That would've been possible if literally had a full lockdown with pretty much nothing open, essential operations included. Hell, unless you are going to keep people from going to work in long-term care facilities, you probably wouldn't even be less than 100.

No realistic plan by anyone in any state intends to do anything but keep this from spreading slowly enough to keep hospitals from getting overwhelmed. Right now Iowa is in good shape for that to happen. The rate of spread has slowed down in the past week. The rate of increases in people currently hospitalized is slow and looks like our ICU/vent capacity should be able to handle it.
Fewer than 100 cases by now is an educated guess if everything except grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, law enforcement, and perhaps hardware stores closed at the beginning. I realize that would be "painful" but I would take short term pain for long term gain.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
True story:

I went to my golf cart shed this morning at 9:30. Number of cars where members would park to get their personal carts: 2.

Number of cars with Minn license plates in other parking lot: 17.
Can't be. Minnesota is SIP. o_O

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
To add to it they really screwed up sending out absentee ballots. Never got mine and should have had it last week.
Absentee ballots can not be mailed until April 23rd. You requested an absentee ballot is all that you have done. You may call your Auditors office and see if they received your request.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Fewer than 100 cases by now is an educated guess if everything except grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, law enforcement, and perhaps hardware stores closed at the beginning. I realize that would be "painful" but I would take short term pain for long term gain.
Are you under the impression that everybody under a strict SIP magically develops some sort of immunity? Or that anybody previously infected can’t spread the organism under a strict SIP? I can’t seem to find anything you’ve posted that comes close to anything based in scientific fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.