What's streaming that's good TV/movies

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'd second @jbindm 's review of Hunters. Awfully dark, and coupling Pacino's gravelly voice with his affected eastern European accent makes him impossible to understand.

Better Call Saul continues to impress. Best written stuff on TV right now, IMHO.

Currently re-watching Making a Murderer, impossible for me to grasp that a small law enforcement group in the Midwest could get away with the **** they've done.

I intend to start Tiger King ASAP.

Also want to re-watch Ken Burns' Vietnam doc series.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
I did Succession (HBO) and Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime) over the last couple weeks. Strongly recommend both, negative is that they are still going and after the binge i now have to wait patiently for next seasons to come out.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Watched Almost Human on IMDB TV a few weeks ago. Great show. Wish they wouldn’t have canceled it so soon.
Speaking of, I stumbled onto IMDB TV a few days ago. So much good stuff on there and it's all free (with commercials). You can watch it on Amazon Prime without having to install a separate app, FYI.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The 2nd Jack Reacher movie, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back isn't half bad. Got your Cobie Smulders which is a bonus.

** Qualifier: This is a somewhat drunk posting for what it is worth. Lots of action/adventure movies are better when drinking.

kcbob79clone

All things Stargate on Amazon Prime. Stargate is some of the best Sci Fi that has been done.

Catherine (prequel movie compiled from Stargate Origins prequel series - not great but hey you've got time on your hands. Catherine available on Prime)
Stargate the Movie
Stargate SG1 (10 seasons)
Stargate Atlantis (5 seasons)
Stargate Ark of Truth movie
Stargate Continuum movie
Stargate Universe

Since same characters there is overlap between the last year's of SG1 and Atlantis and the 2 movies. Finish all those then you can do Universe with a caveat, we didn't like Universe when it was released and again when we binged.

You can research viewing order due to overlap, this is the order we used

* 00 - Stargate Origins or just Catherine movie
* 01 - Stargate movie
* 02 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 1.1 to 8.2
* 03 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 1.1 to 1.15
* 04 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 8.3 to 8.20
* 05 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 1.16 to 2.1
* 06 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 9.1 to 10.2
* 07 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 2.2 to 3.4
* 08 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 10.3 to 10.12
* 09 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 3.5 to 3.19
* 10 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 10.13 to 10.20
* 11 - Stargate: The Ark of Truth
* 12 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 3.20 to 5.1
* 13 - Stargate: Continuum
* 14 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 5.2 onwards.
* 15 - Stargate Universe, All

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Watched "The Platform" on Netflix over the weekend. Interesting concept, bizarre movie.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Watched "The Platform" on Netflix over the weekend. Interesting concept, bizarre movie.

Came here to post this. If your're looking for something on Netflix and you think you've run out, this is pretty good. Very original concept for once, can get a little gorey at times.

Here is the write up:

One day Goreng wakes up with his future colleague Trimagasi in the 33rd level of a prison style place, crossed by a hole where a platform descends with meal remains left from the tenants from higher levels. Trimagasi knows the rules that govern this mysterious place: two people per level and an unknown number of them. If you go upwards you survive... but think too much and you will descend again. If you are in the bottom where the food barely arrives, you cannot trust anyone except your guts.

For those that have seen it

I didn't really like the ending at all. I understand it's up for interpretation but didn't think it related to the rest of the story at all.

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
From IGN.com:

Starting Friday, April 3 for a "limited time" (the specific length of the free screening period hasn't been announced) you'll be able to stream some of the most iconic HBO series - like The Sopranos, Succession, Six Feet Under, The Wire, and Barry - on the HBO Go and HBO Now apps and websites for free, without a subscription. Additionally, HBO is making available a handful of films like Detective Pikachu, The Lego Movie 2, Crazy. Stupid, Love, and more.
Below is a selection of the content coming to HBO Go and HBO Now for free, including nine full series and ten documentary series:
  • Ballers (5 Seasons)
  • Barry (2 Seasons)
  • Silicon Valley (6 Seasons)
  • Six Feet Under (5 Seasons)
  • The Sopranos (7 Seasons)
  • Succession (2 Seasons)
  • True Blood (7 Seasons
  • Veep (7 Seasons)
  • The Wire (5 Seasons)
  • The Apollo
  • The Case Against Adnan Syed
  • Elvis Presley: The Searcher
  • I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter
  • The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley
  • Jane Fonda in Five Acts
  • McMillion$
  • True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality
  • United Skates
  • We Are the Dream: The Kids of the MLK Oakland Oratorical Fest

5thGenCyclone

Dec 4, 2011
The Dawn Wall on Netflix was as good as Free Solo IMO. It's a rock climbing doc. Another good one in that same category is Meru which I think is on Prime.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
From IGN.com:

Starting Friday, April 3 for a "limited time" (the specific length of the free screening period hasn't been announced) you'll be able to stream some of the most iconic HBO series - like The Sopranos, Succession, Six Feet Under, The Wire, and Barry - on the HBO Go and HBO Now apps and websites for free, without a subscription. Additionally, HBO is making available a handful of films like Detective Pikachu, The Lego Movie 2, Crazy. Stupid, Love, and more.
Below is a selection of the content coming to HBO Go and HBO Now for free, including nine full series and ten documentary series:
  • Ballers (5 Seasons)
  • Barry (2 Seasons)
  • Silicon Valley (6 Seasons)
  • Six Feet Under (5 Seasons)
  • The Sopranos (7 Seasons)
  • Succession (2 Seasons)
  • True Blood (7 Seasons
  • Veep (7 Seasons)
  • The Wire (5 Seasons)
  • The Apollo
  • The Case Against Adnan Syed
  • Elvis Presley: The Searcher
  • I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter
  • The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley
  • Jane Fonda in Five Acts
  • McMillion$
  • True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality
  • United Skates
  • We Are the Dream: The Kids of the MLK Oakland Oratorical Fest

Sweet, we watched the first episode of McMillion$ on appleTV (using the free subscription) and found out that you only get the first episode for free. AppleTV is basically a service you pay for so you can do PPV on others.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Dawn Wall on Netflix was as good as Free Solo IMO. It's a rock climbing doc. Another good one in that same category is Meru which I think is on Prime.

Yeah, watching Meru got me into rock climbing a few years ago. You'd think watching that stuff would be less scary after I've been climbing but in a way it's more scary.

The Dawn Wall might be the best of them.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Found the Sopranos on Prime. Was too young to watch it on TV, so giving it a whirl

Sopranos is epic...but it's pretty emotionally draining. Doubt I'll ever give it a rewatch.

I'm almost done with my Curb rewatch but I was only season 4 when SIP started here three weeks ago.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Checked out 1st episode of Locke and Key last night. Wasn't that good, wasn't that awful. Sorta on the fence on whether to watch more. Will maybe give it an episode of two more.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but the first season of The Righteous Gemstones is tremendous.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Checked out 1st episode of Locke and Key last night. Wasn't that good, wasn't that awful. Sorta on the fence on whether to watch more. Will maybe give it an episode of two more.

Thursday now and I've had little to no compulsion to click on episode 2. Think I'm done there.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Fired up ESPN+ and binged the OJ 30 for 30 series today.

Getting caught up on Ozark as well. Better Call Saul is on the list as well.

Is Turn on Netflix? I remember being intrigued by that, but never got around to watching it.
We started watching Ozark Sunday night, after my siblings recommended it. Excellent! Reminds me a bit of Breaking Bad.

Reactions: SCyclone and Cyched

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
USA is running Psych every Wednesday night through Friday morning for the next 4 weeks.

Reactions: Angie and 3GenClone

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I'll have to check it out. I climbed for about ten years in my 20s and early 30s (until I got married and had a kid). Great sport.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron