Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If that dude is confused that much, I kinda feel sorry for the students. Unfortunately it also makes you look bad in their eyes when the TA is clueless

I think he plays confused, but really doesn't like that I made a change to his assignment after he failed to do what we agreed on.
Pretty sure he's had his own thing going all semester, but you can hide a lot in recitations, because the prof doesn't go to them.

That said, I'd be fine never having a TA again. I know they're not all this way, because I was one, and worked with some really good ones, but dang, this ain't cool.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
An excuse to ride the bike? I'm in

Not even recreational, legit food run!

Ordered grocery's online this morning after seeing an ad for Fresh Thyme Farmers Market in the paper today and clicked on linky and found they deliver and within a couple of day. :eek: Got a load of fish and chicken parts coming to my house Friday afternoon. Sweet. Even had the D3 vitamins I am out of that I am supposed to take because of some meds I'm on.

tenor.gif

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We are now in possession of ALL of the components of our bathroom remodel. The only hurdle left is getting 400-500 lbs of a single-unit, stacked washer/dryer up eight stairs. We had originally paid for delivery/install (with the install being basically - get it upstairs and I'll hook it up) but they are no longer entering houses, just dropping stuff off in the driveway or garage. We opted to cancel delivery and pick it up ourselves. The rest of the stuff isn't nearly as heavy.
I'm basically useless when it comes to lifting because of my back. Lew was looking to see if he could take a portion of the balcony railing off and lift the unit up there with the Bobcat but there's a lot of assembly that he would have to do. Getting the unit up here without help is gonna take some engineering, I think. :(

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Milo is home. FiL & Fiv were both negative. UA was grossly normal, so definitely not his kidneys or bladder. The vet is doing a culture on the sample that will take 24+ hours. Honestly, we're ALL hoping it shows a bacterial infection...because after that, the issues get way more severe and way too awful.

FIP (Feline infectious Peritonitis; 95% mortality rate), cancer, and some kinds of autoimmune disease are the potential candidates. None of them look good for Milo.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
We are now in possession of ALL of the components of our bathroom remodel. The only hurdle left is getting 400-500 lbs of a single-unit, stacked washer/dryer up eight stairs. We had originally paid for delivery/install (with the install being basically - get it upstairs and I'll hook it up) but they are no longer entering houses, just dropping stuff off in the driveway or garage. We opted to cancel delivery and pick it up ourselves. The rest of the stuff isn't nearly as heavy.
I'm basically useless when it comes to lifting because of my back. Lew was looking to see if he could take a portion of the balcony railing off and lift the unit up there with the Bobcat but there's a lot of assembly that he would have to do. Getting the unit up here without help is gonna take some engineering, I think. :(
You could hire Two Men and a Truck. We gave our piano away to my boss's family. They hired them to pick it up at our house (Urbandale) and haul it to their house (N of Ames). I believe it cost them $100.00.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
You could hire Two Men and a Truck. We gave our piano away to my boss's family. They hired them to pick it up at our house (Urbandale) and haul it to their house (N of Ames). I believe it cost them $100.00.
It's a thought. Self isolating has made this so much more complicated. We had just started this process with our friends (Lew helped with some of their bathroom remodeling, mostly helping with lifting). So we were counting on Marv to help Lew lift. :(

This is just basically a sucky day.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
That washer dryer is probably closer to 250. Doesn't really make it much easier.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Just had someone here to quote three new windows and a new sliding glass door. There went the stimulus check

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Just had someone here to quote three new windows and a new sliding glass door. There went the stimulus check
I'm getting a new furnace and AC installed Friday. With all this going on got a $2,000 discount.
I was planning on getting it replaced anyway as the AC coil needs to be replaced and they are both 23 years old.
Next will be windows, siding and roof.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm getting a new furnace and AC installed Friday. With all this going on got a $2,000 discount.
I was planning on getting it replaced anyway as the AC coil needs to be replaced and they are both 23 years old.
Next will be windows, siding and roof.
I should add I can open the garage door so they can walk in and out without ever coming within 15 feet of me.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
@cowgirl836 social influencer! After learning all about oxygen levels in her postings about LM last year I went and bought this last week. Seemed like a good idea since I am home alone during all of this C19 stuff. BTW, about as hard to find/purchase as TP.

20200401_142344 cf scale.jpg

Last edited:

RunninMan

Nov 18, 2013
Random thoughts from the quarantine cabin:

The transition to online classes has been relatively seamless, except for one class. The class was originally in a Team Based Learning format which meant we watched the professor's lectures online outside of class and during class we solved example problems with a small group of people. The professor and the TA's were just there to answer any questions we might have. TBL is apparently this professor's pet project and so he has decided to keep the format during online instruction which is incredibly tedious. This means we have to watch his lectures like normal which is fine, but then every MWF from 3:10 - 4:00pm we have to log in to a Zoom meeting with our group members so we can solve problems that he releases in a Box folder and submit our answers on TopHat. You basically need three devices to accomplish that without driving yourself crazy switching back and forth. The catch is the Zoom version we are required to use only allows 40 min meetings and he requires us to meet for the whole 50 mins so we have to schedule two meetings every class, the second one just to cover the last 10 minutes of the class. It's a nuisance for me and I can't imagine how annoying it is for say an international student that has to wake up in the middle of the night to do school work or someone that can only access the internet during certain times of the day.

I bought a new confuser (as Uncle Boxster would say) since some of my professors are still requiring us to do assignments with AutoCad. There was no chance my 10 year old laptop would handle that. This new one is like a spaceship. Thought it would be a good time to get one since I'll probably need it down the road anyway and I could use part of my stimulus check to cover it but...

I'm over 18 and file my own taxes but still file as a dependent so not only do I not get the $1200 check, but my parents also do not get the $500 for me as a dependent. This applies to both my sister and I so we don't get anything and my parents only get $2400. It's not like I was counting on that check to pay for my computer but it sure would have been nice.

I'm glad I learned how to cut my own hair when I moved to college because I didn't want to have to pay for a haircut every month. Cut it yesterday and went ahead and shaved off the winter beard - minus the mustache - in celebration of the beautiful weather and outside work that got accomplished this week. The fiancee says the mustache has to be gone by the time she gets here on Friday. She's still been going to work but has been working from home a couple days either side of the weekend to limit her time in the office. It's a lot of driving for her but she doesn't seem to mind. The only effects on our wedding planning have been a canceled dress shopping date but that wasn't urgent since the wedding isn't until November.

Hope everyone is staying healthy!

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Culver's has a sustained 15-20 cars in the drive through making it impossible to go there right now.

Menard's is now restricting people under 16 from entering, though I did see a woman with like 3 kids in there today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron