Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
My biggest issue..

100% of the things we do can be done from a home setting.

A co-worker has a part-time job at a retail store and works 15-25 hours a week there. Who know who they come in contact with. I'm not fearful I'll get the virus or anything like that.

My biggest issue is just the total lack of acknowledgement of what's going on. Don't sit there and tell me that we can't work from because we need access to the phone or computer.

Did you bring that up to your employer?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
My workplace is similar, we've discussed that. We currently have someone in the office who has been out all week, and another who's missed the past two days.. From what I know, no one has gotten into contact with them about their symptoms or anything along those lines.

That is HIPPA. Not a conspiracy or a republican scam - simply HIPPA.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
www.facebook.com
We are almost at a shelter in place now, however, I think adding one might help in 2 areas:

1) force some companies to do WTF. now as others have said, there will be lots of bending the rules and enforcement will be hard. But, I think some are waiting for the :"official order"
2) We need to discourage large crowds (like people watching the dome go on the courthouse etc) and an official order may help with that

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Who will require? The State?

As I've said, I'm not opposed to a shelter in place but let's just be realistic about its possible effect. The State is not going to go out on a case-by-case basis and determine if you meet the criteria for "essential". There will be no teeth to this.

What I think Kim has essentially done is stopped the businesses that undoubtedly serve no essential purpose. Basically anything and everything not currently shut down will fall into a grey area that I can't see them enforcing.

As others have mentioned, businesses are already posturing themselves to meet the "essential" criteria. If a business hasn't gone remote/WFH yet, I just don't see them changing now. If it helps nudge them over the edge to going remote, great. I just don't see it happening, but would be glad to be proven wrong.
The State is not going to run around flagging down businesses. That's not how that works. They contact county officials who would do that. And no, the state is not going to go on a case by case basis. They didn't do that for bars / restaurants either. You didn't see a bar that only gets 7 people total stay open. They had to shut down as well.

If they do this, they will put out categories of businesses that are deemed essential. If you do not fit into those categories, you must shut down. If you're saying every single business out there currently still working in offices are going to be deemed essential, you'd be wrong. Some businesses will certainly take this mandate seriously and then decide the employees that don't absolutely be there can then work from home. My business falls into that category if we'd somehow be deemed essential.

And again, I go back to, saying "this won't work" or "I can't see how this will work" doesn't make any sense when almost every other state is doing so. I can guarantee you when we saw bars / restaurants close in places outside Iowa, most people were saying "Oh there's no way that'd happen in Iowa. How would they enforce it? What would they do to those who didn't comply?" Well, they did and it's worked.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That is HIPPA. Not a conspiracy or a republican scam - simply HIPPA.
I certainly understand that it would be a little intrusive to ask what is wrong, but in times like this, it'd be a little important to know if the coworker sitting next to me tests positive for a virus that has caused a global pandemic, or at least is currently showing symptoms.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Update from my office today:

Boss is now trying to see how we can "skirt" the rules and become essential if shelter-in-place happens.

So that's neat..
Yeah, it's gone on like this for so long, workplaces like this think we've been fine up to this point so we'll just carry on and we must be essential.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah, it's gone on like this for so long, workplaces like this think we've been fine up to this point so we'll just carry on and we must be essential.
Until they get an email specifying they must shut down. That's what bar and restaurant owners got. I know multiple bar owners who got that email and said if they did not shut down there would be a large penalty and possibly get stripped of their liquor license.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The State is not going to run around flagging down businesses. That's not how that works. They contact county officials who would do that. And no, the state is not going to go on a case by case basis. They didn't do that for bars / restaurants either. You didn't see a bar that only gets 7 people total stay open. They had to shut down as well.

If they do this, they will put out categories of businesses that are deemed essential. If you do not fit into those categories, you must shut down. If you're saying every single business out there currently still working in offices are going to be deemed essential, you'd be wrong. Some businesses will certainly take this mandate seriously and then decide the employees that don't absolutely be there can then work from home. My business falls into that category if we'd somehow be deemed essential.

And again, I go back to, saying "this won't work" or "I can't see how this will work" doesn't make any sense when almost every other state is doing so. I can guarantee you when we saw bars / restaurants close in places outside Iowa, most people were saying "Oh there's no way that'd happen in Iowa. How would they enforce it? What would they do to those who didn't comply?" Well, they did and it's worked.

It's because a bar is a bar. A restaurant is a restaurant. I can't imagine there are too many restaurants that in addition to serving food serve some other vital function. It's easy to qualify their role in society and it's easy to see it's not essential.

Other businesses are much, much more complicated than that. It's not as simple as saying "we do X". Most businesses do "X, Y and Z" and while X and Y may not qualify, Z may. Most businesses provide services for business "A, B and C" , and if my business isn't necessarily essential, but it's essential to keep C going, do I then become essential?

Trying to compare other industries to bars and restaurants is a straw man.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's because a bar is a bar. A restaurant is a restaurant. I can't imagine there are too many restaurants that in addition to serving food serve some other vital function. It's easy to qualify their role in society and it's easy to see it's not essential.

Other businesses are much, much more complicated than that. It's not as simple as saying "we do X". Most businesses do "X, Y and Z" and while X and Y may not qualify, Z may. Most businesses provide services for business "A, B and C" , and if my business isn't necessarily essential, but it's essential to keep C going, do I then become essential?

Trying to compare other industries to bars and restaurants is a straw man.
I mean I could make the same argument to bars / restaurants.. Bars and restaurants buy goods from a supplier and that supplier now doesn't have customers and therefore can't pay their manufacturer in which they get their supplies from. It's a similar concept.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
52 new cases in Iowa, 2 deaths (one of which was in Polk County)

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I mean I could make the same argument to bars / restaurants.. Bars and restaurants buy goods from a supplier and that supplier now doesn't have customers and therefore can't pay their manufacturer in which they get their supplies from. It's a similar concept.

But it's not a similar concept. You are talking about people supplying products to a bar and the financial effect it could have on those suppliers. I don't care about the financial effect. I am talking about a business that provides services to other businesses. It's just not as easy as saying most business are or are not essential. Things are so intertwined any more I just can't see any industry that's currently operating not having some role in an essential operation. For every "essential" business, there is human resources, payroll, accountants, logistics, schedulers, legal department, etc.

You are working backwards down the chain I'm working forwards through the chain.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Do people who make stupid ass "but flu" and "but cars" arguments actually think they're making an intelligent point? What are they trying to say with comments like that? Other things kill people and if we can't eliminate all death we shouldn't get too worked up about a pandemic? Seriously if you've ever made that kind of argument please give me some insight. Comes off as people not really having anything worthwhile to add so they just say something to be part of the discussion but maybe somebody can enlighten me.

They’re only parroting what they hear from the places they get their information from.

yesterday they said 100000 deaths would be considered doing a good job. So that will be the next thing they will tout.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
52 more cases for a total of 549. 2 more deaths, which brings that number to 9. Only 2 more hospitalized.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
But it's not a similar concept. You are talking about people supplying products to a bar and the financial effect it could have on those suppliers. I don't care about the financial effect. I am talking about a business that provides services to other businesses. It's just not as easy as saying most business are or are not essential. Things are so intertwined any more I just can't see any industry that's currently operating not having some role in an essential operation. For every "essential" business, there is human resources, payroll, accountants, logistics, schedulers, legal department, etc.

You are working backwards down the chain I'm working forwards through the chain.
I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree with you saying it absolutely cannot work when 45 other states are doing as such, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.