Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Reynolds will be forced into a “shelter in place” or she’s going to end up committing political suicide. She’s going to continue to get more pressure from local mayors, citizens and she’ll have to do it.
Yeah I would tend to agree. She obviously wants to hold out as long as possible, for whatever reason, but sooner or later this decision is going to come.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
the argument I've seen on Jo-Ann's is that they are providing materials to make masks and serving as a donation drop off point. I tend to agree with you but that's what I've read.

here's the problem - kohls could easily start selling a single fabric swatch and now they're essential.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
This morning I saw/heard an interview on CNBC with the CEO of AB-InBev. Liquor stores in NJ and CT are considered an essential business -- and those states are under SIP orders. So what does that mean? We can maybe laugh at that, but really, ... liquor stores?

My opinion ... stay home unless you can't, then use your best judgement.
Well if your are an alcoholic and have to quit cold turkey you could end up dying.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
This morning I saw/heard an interview on CNBC with the CEO of AB-InBev. Liquor stores in NJ and CT are considered an essential business -- and those states are under SIP orders. So what does that mean? We can maybe laugh at that, but really, ... liquor stores?

Try and close down liquor stores and everyone makes a run to them causing large groups and spread. It happened in Colorado. Make liquor stores implement smart policies just like grocery stores and you are better off.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
here's the problem - kohls could easily start selling a single fabric swatch and now they're essential.

seems like we could stretch anything into being essential

The moral of the story is if a business is currently operating it likely has some claim to being "essential". In order to keep people home, it's going to take individual business owners/leaders realizing that the risk outweighs the reward and stopping their brick and mortar operations. A little more pressure from the Governor may accomplish that, but I'm skeptical.

I'm all for a "shelter in place", but I'm also all for people being realistic in what little impact those words are likely to have. But as I said before, I suppose even if there is a minimal impact it's worth it.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Yeah I would tend to agree. She obviously wants to hold out as long as possible, for whatever reason, but sooner or later this decision is going to come.
most people will say "Why did you wait so long to put a SIP/harsher restrictions in when other states were doing it?"

Either way there's a good portion of people that are decided already no matter what happens.

Her other decisions came a day after she should have acted IMO.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I just went a mile from our house in Waukee to the Hy-Vee and there were a lot of people at some business that I'd question have any need to be open. Unfortunately, people won't always do the right thing until forced to.

I know Reynolds said yesterday that she's confident Iowans will do the right thing and stay home, but that is a chicken **** way of not making a difficult decision that now almost every other governor has made. **** politics, some people are either dumb or greedy and won't close on their own. A test of a true leader is can they make the tough call and do what is in the best interest of the population, despite what their donors or personal interests may want.

Yes, I realize that there is very little difference between a "stay at home order" and what we have today.... except for the dumbshits that keep truly non essential businesses open and are keeping their employees held hostage while they should be at home.

The longer places refuse to close, the longer those of us that have already been home for 2 weeks are going to have to stay at home. Shut it down and this all ends a lot sooner.

To the bolded-- I guess my question becomes do you really think a shelter-in-place eliminates that? I don't suspect those dumb****s suddenly don't become self-absorbed dumb****s overnight. They will deem themselves essential. The question then becomes whether the State is willing to make case-by-case determinations and enforce them.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Your last sentence is a commonly stated one that is patently false.

Sometimes you have to say things in simple ways to get a point across. I understand that it itself is not a shortener, but there is evidence that the opposite can be true. Doctors and experts have often said that while we can't shorten things, we can unnecessarily extend them by having different efforts in different states at different times.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
most people will say "Why did you wait so long to put a SIP/harsher restrictions in when other states were doing it?"

Either way there's a good portion of people that are decided already no matter what happens.

Her other decisions came a day after she should have acted IMO.
Oh yeah I'd agree. And there's a part of me that thinks she honestly is so dead set on not implementing this that nothing will be able to sway her from this stance. I think she may believe that things are going to get better so she doesn't want to shut things down because next week this somehow all goes away. Then she'll be able to claim to everyone that she took a "strong stance" and didn't follow the lead of other states.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
For whatever reason? People loose their jobs every time more restrictions are put in place. That's not a "for whatever reason".

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It's fun playing armchair quarterback on running a state isn't it.

Isn't that what politics is? Everyone arm chair quarterbacks everything until they finally get elected and then someone else fills in behind them.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I hear about em but quite frankly I'm tired of watching the crap. The news is such a biased industry and is fixated on giving the bad news, I choose not to watch.

If you think the news is too biased, I think you'll have a similar reaction to feedback on this site as well..

;)

Reactions: Scott34

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

What happens when the alcoholics can't get their medicine? When the riots and looting start, the liquor stores are usually hit hard. Might as well leave them open. Also, that might be why they're still selling guns and ammo. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a little home defense. I mean, with Reynolds making decisions we're headed for Mad Max and Walking Dead type **** am I right? :eek:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
For whatever reason? People loose their jobs every time more restrictions are put in place. That's not a "for whatever reason".
Her worrying about unemployment would be a "reason" wouldn't it? I certainly think that's valid reasoning as to why she doesn't want to do this. I also think that other governors have probably thought about that same effect from all of this and still made the decision.

I wasn't saying for whatever reason because I believe she's just doing this to mess with our heads. She obviously has her reasoning and that's why I said "for whatever reason".

Reactions: isutrevman
Status
Not open for further replies.