Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
From a couple of friends at Iowa State University of SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY:
"I need to update R- a free software package that one can download from CRAN, which has a hub at ISU (so it’s trusted). But I can’t because I don’t have admin privileges. So I have to request someone to take over my computer, then they discover I’m not on the VPN so they have to download that software, install it and log in (which fails SEVERAL times) to download the R update and install the software. This takes ~30 min and since I don’t have my computer but they need me to log in with my credentials - I just sit here"

"Do NOT even get me started about the inability to do anything on my ISU computer due to my lack of admin privileges. It took nearly 2 weeks to get Remote Desktop working simply because flipping one switch required admin privileges.
Well, guess I got myself started. But I could also go on and on about how I wouldn’t need Remote Desktop if we didn’t still use a shared drive on a campus server and instead had moved everything to Box. Ok, getting off soapbox now "

In the final department meeting before Spring Break I brought up that the IT overlords may have to rescind their death strangle on all things technology (in their defense some of my less seasoned colleagues caused a major virus/trojan issue 12+ months ago and it took a really long time to clean up) and give us access so we can get the software we need to deliver the content that's been mandated.

To my surprise it was granted. Request an admin password (works for 24 hours) and you can download what you need.

Iowa State's a much larger bureaucracy, but that seemed to be a fairly painless way to accommodate reasonably intelligent people.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
In the final department meeting before Spring Break I brought up that the IT overlords may have to rescind their death strangle on all things technology (in their defense some of my less seasoned colleagues caused a major virus/trojan issue 12+ months ago and it took a really long time to clean up) and give us access so we can get the software we need to deliver the content that's been mandated.

To my surprise it was granted. Request an admin password (works for 24 hours) and you can download what you need.

Iowa State's a much larger bureaucracy, but that seemed to be a fairly painless way to accommodate reasonably intelligent people.
This reminds me from long ago when there was a virus attached to an email with the subject Anna Kournikova pictures. This one guy at work clicked on the attachment and of course he got infected. The virus protection software sent an alarm to our PC guy who came over, took over he pc and got it all cleaned up.
By the time he got back to his office he had a second notification that the same guy's pc was infected. He came back and asked why the guy clicked on the attachment again. His answer "I still haven't seen the pictures"

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This reminds me from long ago when there was a virus attached to an email with the subject Anna Kournikova pictures. This one guy at work clicked on the attachment and of course he got infected. The virus protection software sent an alarm to our PC guy who came over, took over he pc and got it all cleaned up.
By the time he got back to his office he had a second notification that the same guy's pc was infected. He came back and asked why the guy clicked on the attachment again. His answer "I still haven't seen the pictures"

No jury would convict him.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
ALUA2uK.gif

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Our departmental server (which I refused to be a part of...didn't need to be) got blown up twice by viral infection, once by Melissa & once by I Love You.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Our departmental server (which I refused to be a part of...didn't need to be) got blown up twice by viral infection, once by Melissa & once by I Love You.
I remember when I Love You hit us, probably about 4am when one guy got it and opened it starting the whole mess.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Okay...I'm done crying now. I think.
Milo has a LOT of abnormalities in his blood work...but no definitive diagnosis yet. He's back at the vet. They're waiting for him to provide a urine sample. Blood work doesn't indicate kidneys much, but they want to rule it out. WBC is 36K. There's an inflammation somewhere, but he didn't hear it in Milo's lungs or heart. Not a blockage (slow onset of symptoms as opposed to immediate). After the urinalysis and a repeat couple of other tests (FiV & FiL) he had as a baby, that's as far as my vet can go, and Milo would be referred to ISU. I've gone that route before, with mixed results (gave a 13-yr-old cat an extra four years, gave a 3-yr-old cat an extra three months, for different conditions).

I'm sorry if I'm over-dramatic, but these cats (Milo in particular) are my "kids".

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Okay...I'm done crying now. I think.
Milo has a LOT of abnormalities in his blood work...but no definitive diagnosis yet. He's back at the vet. They're waiting for him to provide a urine sample. Blood work doesn't indicate kidneys much, but they want to rule it out. WBC is 36K. There's an inflammation somewhere, but he didn't hear it in Milo's lungs or heart. Not a blockage (slow onset of symptoms as opposed to immediate). After the urinalysis and a repeat couple of other tests (FiV & FiL) he had as a baby, that's as far as my vet can go, and Milo would be referred to ISU. I've gone that route before, with mixed results (gave a 13-yr-old cat an extra four years, gave a 3-yr-old cat an extra three months, for different conditions).

I'm sorry if I'm over-dramatic, but these cats (Milo in particular) are my "kids".
How old is MIlo?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Well, alert OCD is done. Just cleared it out. Hit 1836 last I remember. Not going through all of them.
Well, if that's how you want to be, see if I like anything you say ever again.

Reactions: BCClone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron