PODCAST: Williams/Blum on ISU sports in a post coronavirus world

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Great one. Thanks guys. I think by the fall there will be pressure to put sports and entertainment back out there, even if it's just on TV, without even all of the internal pressure of athletic departments when it comes to money. I think there will be borderline riots without them, and I'm being serious.

Reactions: WhoISthis

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I wonder how much working from home really takes off, and then how much it impacts childcare, etc.

There's likely some employers out there that could realize some jobs can actually be easier to manage and just as efficient if people are able to work under their own conditions.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I agree on the technology front, most company's have dragged their feet on the idea of working from home because they dont like change (think 40 hour work schedule for another outdated concept). But this could really change things for the better of everyone.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I wonder how much working from home really takes off, and then how much it impacts childcare, etc.

There's likely some employers out there that could realize some jobs can actually be easier to manage and just as efficient if people are able to work under their own conditions.

The issue I could see would be personal interaction. Many people I've texted or chatted with are going crazy at home and not being able to have some one on one time. My church did a zoom coffee time this morning to just have some interaction.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The issue I could see would be personal interaction. Many people I've texted or chatted with are going crazy at home and not being able to have some one on one time. My church did a zoom coffee time this morning to just have some interaction.

I'd think the one on one meet ups would be something that's periodically set up, along with Zoom meetings et al.

I'd also be curious to see if virtual meeting products/companies start to become a big market.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I agree on the technology front, most company's have dragged their feet on the idea of working from home because they dont like change (think 40 hour work schedule for another outdated concept). But this could really change things for the better of everyone.

There's companies out there that still have the mentality that if you're not in the office constantly you're not actually working. Turns out most adults will get their work done on time regardless of where they're at.

If your employee isn't getting their work done, that's an entirely new conversation beyond whether they're working in the office or at home

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There's companies out there that still have the mentality that if you're not in the office constantly you're not actually working. Turns out most adults will get their work done on time regardless of where they're at.

If your employee isn't getting their work done, that's an entirely new conversation beyond whether they're working in the office or at home

Yeah I've seen plenty of people that spent plenty of time in an office, including after hours, that couldn't get as much done as the person in the next cubicle over that took about half the time.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah I've seen plenty of people that spent plenty of time in an office, including after hours, that couldn't get as much done as the person in the next cubicle over that took about half the time.

Will say though, I'm not getting jack done with the wife and three kids now around. Too much movement and noise.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The restrictions beyond WAH are compounding this right now. Everything else returning to normal would certainly help.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I hate working from home. Hate it. I like work at work and home at home. I like to keep those worlds separate. I like to be able to talk to my coworkers one on one. I like to get out of the house for a good chunk of the day because I get cabin fever. I hate this. I am extremely grateful I have a job that allows me to work from home and I don't have to worry about losing my job because of this. That being said I can not wait to get back to the office.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I hate working from home. Hate it. I like work at work and home at home. I like to keep those worlds separate. I like to be able to talk to my coworkers one on one. I like to get out of the house for a good chunk of the day because I get cabin fever. I hate this. I am extremely grateful I have a job that allows me to work from home and I don't have to worry about losing my job because of this. That being said I can not wait to get back to the office.

I actually like working from home a bit. I'd like to do it half time. But I couldn't go months without coming in.

IaTexan

Mar 21, 2020

There’s also the possibility that some companies realize some jobs are not as essential as they thought.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Just got to listen today. Very interesting discussion. Pro and College sports are just a microcosm of the overall economy getting crushed by this thing. As more information becomes known, everybody in sports and other segments is going to face cost/benefit analysis about how to resume something approximating normal life. Leagues, venues, TV providers, websites are all bleeding badly right now. Six to eight more months of this takes some of them down. Kudos to Chris and Blum to broach the topic of what might be theoretically acceptable and how we might re-start some of this stuff. I agree that whoever (sports league or other non-essential business) takes the first step to try and get back up and running will risk the wrath of twitter outrage mobs and other media. Interesting days ahead for everyone.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron