Shaka Smart IS returning for next season

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Not trying to fact check but, according to Wiki, both (Smart and Prohm) have been at their respected schools the same amount of seasons and both have the same conference record (40-50). Overall, SP has 5 more wins 95 vs. 90 in that same time frame. To me these are the relevant statistics in this debate. I would say that both have underachieved in their respective roles. One could definitely argue that Smart is the bigger underachiever of the two because, well Texas, and Barnes left the program in a very solid spot of consistency. I would say that both have been pretty.....meh.

It will be interesting to follow the story lines here as both came in at the same time, and have the same conference record at present. Will one, or both, rise up, or will either of them fall out of favor?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
For all the people who want Prohm gone here's winning % at current schools:
Shaka (conference only) = 40-50 for .444
Prohm (conference only) = 94-60 for .610

Yeah and if he had Shaka's record many would want him gone too.

I'd be willing to bet enough Texas fans that actually pay attention to the team aren't terribly excited about this.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not trying to fact check but, according to Wiki, both (Smart and Prohm) have been at their respected schools the same amount of seasons and both have the same conference record (40-50). Overall, SP has 5 more wins 95 vs. 90 in that same time frame. To me these are the relevant statistics in this debate. I would say that both have underachieved in their respective roles. One could definitely argue that Smart is the bigger underachiever of the two because, well Texas, and Barnes left the program in a very solid spot of consistency. I would say that both have been pretty.....meh.

It will be interesting to follow the story lines here as both came in at the same time, and have the same conference record at present. Will one, or both, rise up, or will either of them fall out of favor?

Considering the amount of McD AA's at Texas under Smart he's underachieved big time. It's been pretty rare to see Texas and think they look like a good basketball team.

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
Has Smart lost to a FAMU though. Also I believe Texas non con strength hasof schedule has been better than ISUs during that stretch

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Shaka has tons of advantages over Prohm but he also basically loses his best player every year to the NBA draft. He rarely gets his good players more than 1 year. Anyone who believes Steve Prohm is a "victim of his own great recruiting", should really have sympathy for Shaka.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Shaka...

s-l400.jpg

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Texas don't want to write a big buyout check for a sport they don't care so much about. Plus, they are getting ready or are already building a new arena. Probably want to do the fresh arena/fresh coach thing. So hold onto Shaka one more year, see if he can turn it around. If not fire him and get a big coach with the new shiny arena.

I have news ...NO MBB Coach in his right mind would want to coach at Texas...Would you want to Play 2nd Fiddle to a football coach at a football school, while attendance at MBB continues to look like a NBA G League game in Des Moines, Iowa.......Don't think so

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
He was going to be back no matter when or how their season ended.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I have news ...NO MBB Coach in his right mind would want to coach at Texas...Would you want to Play 2nd Fiddle to a football coach at a football school, while attendance at MBB continues to look like a NBA G League game in Des Moines, Iowa.......Don't think so

I have news’s a crap load of coaches would coach at Texas with what they pay, new facility, great recruiting base, great city, big 12. Shaka turned down a crap load of jobs before taking Texas.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
For all the people who want Prohm gone here's winning % at current schools:
Shaka (conference only) = 40-50 for .444
Prohm (conference only) = 94-60 for .610

Prohm is 94-60 in the conference at Iowa State. Try 40-50 in Big 12 conference play while at Iowa State. It’s awesome that you intentionally fabricate numbers.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

You mean the original poster was a liar and just made up numbers. Of course he did.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Mensa and Smart at one higher education institution that is pro-science and pro-math! They are going to come up with policy to solve the Austin homeless problem for realz.

No lie, I'm humming the intro to Feel for U right now.....chaka khan...chaka khan....chaka khan.....

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Agreed. With the uncertainty of college football for next year (and the money that comes with it), buying out a contract for a sport that doesn't generate the respective revenue is probably not a good financial move.

Yes, if football doesn't happen (I've got 50-50, right now), the whole works might fold.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Decreased Big 12 payouts from lost tourney revenue makes buying people out a little difficult.

Yeah and I'd think the whole hiring/programming process takes a hit for this kind of thing. Better to just keep what you have.

If there's a basketball season next year imo there will be sense that it will just be a relief to have it regardless of results.

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
According to CBS Sports article, Smart has 0 commits for class of 2020!!

The Longhorns' last five recruiting classes all ranked in the top 20 nationally, according to 247Sports. Texas is viewed as a frontrunner for Greg Brown, a local player who is the No. 9 overall player in the 2020 class.

But as of now no one is committed to Texas' 2020 class, which may be a byproduct of the uncertainty that surrounded Smart's future until now.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Smart, who has a $10.5 million buyout for the final three years of his contract, is 90-78 and 40-50 in Big 12 play in five seasons at Texas.

Paying $10.5 million for Smart's buyout of the final three years on Smart’s contract in light of the financial stress the university is under due to the coronavirus outbreak “would be totally, fiscally irresponsible,” a high-ranking UT source told Horns247.

“After you spend the $10.5 million for the buyout, you’re probably paying for the buyout of the next coach before you even sit down to negotiate a new, long-term deal,” the source said. “Spending that kind of money right now, with everything going on, the optics would be horrible.” Horns247

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron